Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2,221 of 65,633
A question for you, Grado people (as I can't seem to actually listen to my Grado pair because it just hurts my ear so much):

Really want to know if using Jumbo pads on RS325i Grados kills much of the sound experience, please! I mean, I can't use the bowl pads and ordered a pair of jumbos, I'd really like to how they'll change the sound of the RS325i drivers, if anyone can tell. Will I be loosing much of the mids and music details with the Jumbos? Can't stand the flat pads either, just wish Grados where much more comfortable! Any mod suggestions?

Thank you very much for the help!

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2,222 of 65,633

Quote:
A question for you, Grado people (as I can't seem to actually listen to my Grado pair because it just hurts my ear so much):

Really want to know if using Jumbo pads on RS325i Grados kills much of the sound experience, please! I mean, I can't use the bowl pads and ordered a pair of jumbos, I'd really like to how they'll change the sound of the RS325i drivers, if anyone can tell. Will I be loosing much of the mids and music details with the Jumbos? Can't stand either flat or bowl pads, just with Grados where much more comfortable! Any mod suggestions?

I can't help you with the pads thing, but have you tried using tubes with your Grados?

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #2,223 of 65,633
As said, I barely listened to my Grado's (V4s and Ohrenholz custom 325i) because I'm waiting for the Jumbo pads (hopefully them I'll be able to use them for longer).
When I do give them a good listening time, I'll definitely use them with my Lyr and DA-160 combo, so yeah, I'll try different tubes with both the Grado and the Magnum, eventually.

Quote:
I can't help you with the pads thing, but have you tried using tubes with your Grados?

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,224 of 65,633

Quote:
Trust me on this one.

that feel when you glance at this and realize this is playing as I'm using my RS-2's. Blind Guardian is amazing, and hearing them on a Grado is a headphone religious experience.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,225 of 65,633

Quote:
As said, I barely listened to my Grado's (V4s and Ohrenholz custom 325i) because I'm waiting for the Jumbo pads (hopefully them I'll be able to use them for longer).
When I do give them a good listening time, I'll definitely use them with my Lyr and DA-160 combo, so yeah, I'll try different tubes with both the Grado and the Magnum, eventually.

Can only speak for myself, but I love comfies on my MS2i. Tames them a little bit more and I really like the feel of the on-ear cushion. I also have the black manta headband and I find them very comfy indeed, bowls hurt (my left ear)... I've got jumbo's but I prefer comfies. I don't like the sound with Jumbo's, too trebly for me. Also find the sound a lot more fatiguing. At least for what I listen to (mainly metal).

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,226 of 65,633

Quote:
I just received a Schiit Asgard to pair with my PS500. It sounds really fantastic so far. I think it will hold me over for quite a while!

Awesome! I just got into Grado's with the 225i and love the sound! now I'm just using the iPod Classic 5G + Fiio e11. Been reading that Schiit is a Great for pairing and im looking into it (and the RS1) what is your configuration?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,228 of 65,633
Quote:
I just received a Schiit Asgard to pair with my PS500. It sounds really fantastic so far. I think it will hold me over for quite a while!

Awesome! I just got into Grado's with the 225i and love the sound! now I'm just using the iPod Classic 5G + Fiio e11. Been reading that Schiit is a Great for pairing and im looking into it (and the RS1) what is your configuration?

Thanks

Currently I'm using a Fiio E10 from the USB on my Mac, using the line out on it to connect to the Asgard. I will be replacing the E10 with a Schiit Bifrost DAC at some point.

From my iPhone, I'm also running a Fiio E11. It's a good little amp!

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2,229 of 65,633
Quote:

Really want to know if using Jumbo pads on RS325i Grados kills much of the sound experience, please! I mean, I can't use the bowl pads and ordered a pair of jumbos, I'd really like to how they'll change the sound of the RS325i drivers, if anyone can tell. Will I be loosing much of the mids and music details with the Jumbos? Can't stand the flat pads either, just wish Grados where much more comfortable! Any mod suggestions?

The jumbo pads are not meant to be used with any Grados, except the GS1000 and PS1000. 
When I got my MS Pro, I couldn't take the pain of the bowls, so I bought a pair of the jumbo pads for freaking $80 AUD. And at best I could describe it, the difference is like wine vs water-diluted wine. Sure you could still taste the wine, but it's so bad you just can not drink it. 

My advice is to man up and keep using the bowl pads until you get used to them. Two things you can do, one is to wash the bowls to soften them up. The other is stretch the headband out enough so that the bowls are only resting on your ears instead of clamping hard on them. It's not the bowls that are hurting your ears, it's actually the fault of the headband clamping force.

Or you can sell your 325 and buy a pair of GS1000. That was what I did, and I couldn't be happier.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #2,231 of 65,633
I just got my 225is in today from a fellow head-fier after owning some sr60s... and I'm thrilled with the upgrade. They sound absolutely amazing unamped.... I can't imagine how these could improve with an amp behind them. I may end up building a Millet Hybrid Amp down the road, it looks like a fun DIY project.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2,232 of 65,633

Quote:
I just got my 225is in today from a fellow head-fier after owning some sr60s... and I'm thrilled with the upgrade. They sound absolutely amazing unamped.... I can't imagine how these could improve with an amp behind them. I may end up building a Millet Hybrid Amp down the road, it looks like a fun DIY project.

If it's anything like the jump from 80s to 325s, I can see why you're a happy camper...and I am definitely in the camp that Grados do improve with amping, even though you can drive them without it. Something like the 225s and a Little Dot I+ hybrid amp and you've got FANTASTIC sound for under $350 shipped.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #2,233 of 65,633
I'm not surprised you like them,in my opinion,they are the second ''best buy'' among the Grado line,the first beeing the PS-500,plus,by buying used,you don't have to go trough the burn in process,happy listening

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,234 of 65,633

Quote:

Also got them last week the 225i and Love the sound! Im using them with Fiio e11. Also looking into the RS1 Vs P550, until now I prefer on paper the RS1.

Cheers 

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2,235 of 65,633

Quote:
Oi, I just looked and it's on the website for $600 AUD....**go look at credit card balance....

Sorry Nick - lost me there, cannot find them!

$600 eh? bang on then, cheaper than the US after sales tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back