Grado Fan Club!
Jan 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,801 of 65,608
So I just got my (used) RS1is today and noticed the glue on the wire inside the cup (I am aware of the messy glue around the driver but that's a known thing it seems) and there are markings INSIDE the housing (looks like either SI or S1). Is this normal?

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,802 of 65,608

Quote:
So I just got my (used) RS1is today and noticed the glue on the wire inside the cup (I am aware of the messy glue around the driver but that's a known thing it seems) and there are markings INSIDE the housing (looks like either SI or S1). Is this normal?

For Grado...yes. As long as they work, no worries.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,803 of 65,608

Quote:
You should check out Ghost, a newer doom/black metal band...they sound like Pink Floyd and Demon....or  Blue Oyster Cult and Blacksabath. Don't know about Vinyl on them but the CD sounded just find.

haha you didn't look at my last fm account did you? I love Ghost, although I know a ton of metal heads that loath them. All act without enough substance. They played at Deathfest last year and my friends who went didn't even bother seeing them. I personally really dig Ghost. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,804 of 65,608

Courtesy of someone in the Phillipines -

A rare one off, no idea if it's Johnny G factory spec - Gold PS1000

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,805 of 65,608

Quote:
Hey there guys, I've chosen Grado as the brand for my first foray into audiophilia. However, I'm actually not sure as to what I should buy. I've only got around USD$160, and I'm conflicted between picking up a SR80i along with a cMoyBB to drive them, or straight out buying SR125i's. I'm kind of leaning toward the cans + amp, but I'd like to hear your opinions on it. I also own a pair of Yuin PK3's if it makes a difference.

The Grado phones I've owned - the 80, 125, 225, 225i, and 325is.

The only one left is the 225i.

They're really worth the upgrade from the 125, and I even like them more than the 325is in many ways.
I know I'm not alone in having the opinion that they're the sweet spot in the Prestige Series line;
and the best overall value.

Also, you can wait on the amp because they're very easy to drive.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,807 of 65,608

Quote:

The Grado phones I've owned - the 80, 125, 225, 225i, and 325is.

The only one left is the 225i.

They're really worth the upgrade from the 125, and I even like them more than the 325is in many ways.
I know I'm not alone in having the opinion that they're the sweet spot in the Prestige Series line;
and the best overall value.

Also, you can wait on the amp because they're very easy to drive.

I'm sorry, I didn't really understand your post. What I meant is that I don't own either of them, and I was wondering which would be a better overall deal to get. The SR125i's or the SR80's with the amp, since they are around the same price. I'm sorry if my post was worded awkwardly.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,808 of 65,608
I'm sorry, I didn't really understand your post. What I meant is that I don't own either of them, and I was wondering which would be a better overall deal to get. The SR125i's or the SR80's with the amp, since they are around the same price. I'm sorry if my post was worded awkwardly.

When I had the SR-80i I tried it off of my Sansa Fuze and found it pretty harsh sounding. It still sounded great of course, I think you will get the better sound out of the 80 and an amp than you will get out of the 125 without one.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,809 of 65,608

Quote:
When I had the SR-80i I tried it off of my Sansa Fuze and found it pretty harsh sounding. It still sounded great of course, I think you will get the better sound out of the 80 and an amp than you will get out of the 125 without one.

Hmm, I see. I think I'll pick these up then, and I'll post back on what I think of them. I'm reasonably excited, these being my first pair of decent headphones after all.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,810 of 65,608
Hmm, I see. I think I'll pick these up then, and I'll post back on what I think of them. I'm reasonably excited, these being my first pair of decent headphones after all.

The SR-80i was my first real pair of headphones as well, and still remains one of my favorites. I think your going to enjoy them.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,811 of 65,608
I've really been leaning towards the 325s. Just curious, how giant of a difference is there between say....the 80->325->RF2?

Overall I can gather that the higher you go they seem to be brighter/more detailed.

If I were to buy the 80s then I would likely look into modding them, not so much for the RF. I'm morbidly terrified I would break something.

Just curious on your opinions. I currently use the Sennheiser HD595, if that makes any difference.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,812 of 65,608
Do you mean RS2?

If so,

I'd say the 325 is the brightest of what you've got listed there. The RS2 is warmer and has less treble energy. I think you get similar levels of detail in each. Personally, I'm happy to pay a little more for warmth. I don't think you really need to modify the RS2 to get good sound. 

Coming from the 598 you'll most likely enjoy the RS2 more, and probably the PS500 most of all.

Quote:
I've really been leaning towards the 325s. Just curious, how giant of a difference is there between say....the 80->325->RF2?

Overall I can gather that the higher you go they seem to be brighter/more detailed.

If I were to buy the 80s then I would likely look into modding them, not so much for the RF. I'm morbidly terrified I would break something.

Just curious on your opinions. I currently use the Sennheiser HD595, if that makes any difference.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,813 of 65,608

Quote:
Do you mean RS2?

If so,

I'd say the 325 is the brightest of what you've got listed there. The RS2 is warmer and has less treble energy. I think you get similar levels of detail in each. Personally, I'm happy to pay a little more for warmth. I don't think you really need to modify the RS2 to get good sound. 

Coming from the 598 you'll most likely enjoy the RS2 more, and probably the PS500 most of all.

Yes, not sure what I was trying to say, meant RS. Wow, the PS500 looks pretty crazy. I'm not sure I'm up to that price tag yet, but I'll keep an eye out for used ones. What exactly is the advantage of the PS500 over the RS2? Better drivers, warmer sound, soundstage?

EDIT: Also, what exactly is the difference between the RS2 and the RS2i? Or is there?

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,814 of 65,608

Quote:

...and I'm sorry, because I see on re-reading my post that I didn't come right out and say -

If you're able to swing it financially, the 225i's are a huge step up from the 125's.
Many regard that step up as the biggest in the Grado Prestige Series.

The improvement in sound quality is all out of proportion to the $49.00 price difference.
I was startled when I first listened to the 225i's after selling my 125's.

Had I known, I would have gone directly from the 80's to the 225i's, skipping the 125's, even if
I had to wait a little longer to get them.

They will benefit from an amp, but they're not overly amp-dependent.
Even a good $60.00 amp like the JDS Labs CMoy or the PA2V2 will make them sing..

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,815 of 65,608
Anyone have tried the newest batch of Alessandro MS2i? (with brush aluminium, not glossy)

I think it's sound pretty, pretty good actually. To my ears It has the most balance spectrum through all freq (high, mod, low) than any other current Grado/Alessandro line up. And for bonus, it also has nice soundstage image (it's still small compare to Beyer or Sennheiser), but it's already better than Alessandro MS-Pro (I already A/Bing them)

For overall sound, I think I like (newest batch) MS2i is better than MS-Pro, MS-Pro sounds narrow, thin and peaky compare to this new MS2i. Though MS-Pro still offering more detail I think.

Compare to PS500, PS500 definitely has more mid-upper bass, while MS2i has lesser bump and has more balance presentation.

Actually it's really surprising me, as the old MS2i sounds so sharp/shrill to my ears, and actually the old MS2i is the only one that I hate from all Alessandro line up, but for now, looks like the position has changed drastically :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back