Grado Fan Club!
Feb 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,816 of 65,724

Quote:
yea...but they played at doom fest, chaos fest, and death fest....metal venues need to be more creative with names.

There is one called bloodstock in the uk? :D also
i saw Ghost live. they werent good. i liked them before i saw them with trivium/in flames.
buut they were horrible live, good stage show though.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,817 of 65,724

Quote:
There is one called bloodstock in the uk? :D also
i saw Ghost live. they werent good. i liked them before i saw them with trivium/in flames.
buut they were horrible live, good stage show though.

not surprising.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,818 of 65,724
I've heard they are great live. So. I mean...

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,819 of 65,724
If anyone's interested I ended up going with a Xonar DG to use with my PC and a Fiio E6 to go with my iPod. Unfortunately I wasn't able to order the cMoy's because of how long they'd take to ship. I live in Brazil and I had a very small window of time for the products to arrive, since I'm delivering these to a friend that's currently there. Oh well, at least I'm getting a pair of Grado's, I'm ******* pumped!

Does anyone know how do Closure in Moscow sound on these? I imagine it'd sound pretty awesome!

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,820 of 65,724
If anyone's interested I ended up going with a Xonar DG to use with my PC and a Fiio E6 to go with my iPod. Unfortunately I wasn't able to order the cMoy's because of how long they'd take to ship. I live in Brazil and I had a very small window of time for the products to arrive, since I'm delivering these to a friend that's currently there. Oh well, at least I'm getting a pair of Grado's, I'm ******* pumped!

Does anyone know how do Closure in Moscow sound on these? I imagine it'd sound pretty awesome!

Not familiar with the artist, but I just looked them up. They play well with my K81s which are close to the SR-80i in a lot of ways. I think you'll be happy with them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,821 of 65,724
So just joined the owner's club
SR80i

Made in USA and I dig it, at least one of the companies that decide to keep manufacturing jobs in here.

Been listening to them for the last couple hours, rock and hard rock (80s, 70s)
Woa
These things shine in the vocals for sure, very forward right in your face
Great for rock music for sure, digging some Van Halen right now, awesome!

This is straight from the computer, not amped yet. I am not sure if amping will change it significantly.

So far the music signature makes me enjoy them a lot. They sound somewhat similar to the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's with smaller soundstage
And whoever said these lack bass
Well they don't at all

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,822 of 65,724

Quote:
So just joined the owner's club
SR80i

Made in USA and I dig it, at least one of the companies that decide to keep manufacturing jobs in here.

Been listening to them for the last couple hours, rock and hard rock (80s, 70s)
Woa
These things shine in the vocals for sure, very forward right in your face
Great for rock music for sure, digging some Van Halen right now, awesome!

This is straight from the computer, not amped yet. I am not sure if amping will change it significantly.

So far the music signature makes me enjoy them a lot. They sound somewhat similar to the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's with smaller soundstage
And whoever said these lack bass
Well they don't at all

Hey thanks for bringing this conversation back on track, this “Grado Fan Club” thread had derailed big time! 

You are up to a good start with the SR80i, I started my Grado journey with a MS1i and quickly moved up to the Reference Series.
If now you are enjoying your SR80i unamped you will notice a big improvement once you start amping it. A good inexpensive option to start is either a Cmoy or a RA-1 clone amp, you can buy it from eBay for around $50 and both pair very well with Grado headphones.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,823 of 65,724
I ordered this pair of rs-1i reterminated to balanced from Moon Audio and they sound even better than I remember.  From personal experience the color of the wood is really light or blonde compared to the other pairs I have owned -- only one other pair was near this light but I think these are even lighter colored. 

In the wood there are a few slight imperfections which I would say are typical of Grado but what bugs me most is in the second pic is a disfigurement in one of the legs of the cable leading to the drivers.  I am really sad that this cannot be fixed easily, and since this was a custom job I also cannot exchange. Grado build quality FTL damn!

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,824 of 65,724

Grado build quality ~ luck of the random draw@!

Before my PS1000's landed I was expecting - nicks and dents in the cups, odd discoloration between the
 left and right cup, dodgy stitching on the headband, kinks in the cable and who knows what else.

Turns out that was unfounded - they're perfect bar that possibly due to the box design, the cable comes
 pre twisted in the box.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,825 of 65,724
Joining the Grado club thanks to a very courteous head-fier, peterabb! I'm getting his sr60i's soon. These would be my very first pair of audiophile level headphones, so I'm kinda excited! I figure that I'm going to love them off the bat, being an avid metalhead, but are there any mods that you guys would suggest to get my feet off the ground to enjoy these guys? They have the quarter-mod on the stock pads as of now...

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,826 of 65,724
The biggest mod (most noticeable) you can do without further materials is punching holes in your driver. DO DA BASS. ERR well not driver but the cloth around said driver

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,827 of 65,724

Quote:

I'm not sure how far we can take the Made in the USA stance.  When it comes to Grado, they are assembled and repaired in the U.S. - in Brooklyn, NY.  However, there have been sightings of pallets of drivers for Grado headphones in China, or on the docks after being off-loading from a shipping vessel.  So, there are some overseas opportunities that it appears Grado has had to take to stay somewhat competitive.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,828 of 65,724

Quote:
there have been sightings of pallets of drivers for Grado headphones in China, or on the docks after being off-loading from a shipping vessel.

What is the source of your info?

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,829 of 65,724

Quote:
What is the source of your info?

I've read it in a thread on one of the headphone forums.  Being that the size of the Grado facility in Brooklyn is essentially housed in a brownstone, there are some limitations that would have to be placed on their capabilities on what can be performed at that location.  There are some pictures - from Audio Junkies, I believe of the tour of the facility and you can see various shots of the working areas established.

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,830 of 65,724

Quote:
I've read it in a thread on one of the headphone forums.  Being that the size of the Grado facility in Brooklyn is essentially housed in a brownstone, there are some limitations that would have to be placed on their capabilities on what can be performed at that location.  There are some pictures - from Audio Junkies, I believe of the tour of the facility and you can see various shots of the working areas established.

I have read those threads and seen the factory tour pics, just curious about where you get the "pallets of drivers for Grado headphones in China, or on the docks after being off-loading from a shipping vessel" from.
By the way, I agree with you about Grado not producing everything in house. It is almost impossible to achieve.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back