Grado Fan Club!
Apr 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #526 of 65,633
Just to be clear, there are buttonless RS1's as well, produced just before the transition to RS1i.  The casual observer can tell the RS1i's from the RS1 by the thicker cable.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #527 of 65,633
Looking for thoughts on Jazz with Grados.

I personally think that Grados smaller soundstage actually suits Jazz rather well. At my old high school I was in Jazz Band and it sounds remarkably similar to jamming with my friends at a concert.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #528 of 65,633
It's okay with jazz, I suppose.  I prefer my AT's for that genre.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #529 of 65,633

Quote:

I personally think that Grados smaller soundstage actually suits Jazz rather well. At my old high school I was in Jazz Band and it sounds remarkably similar to jamming with my friends at a concert.

I listen to mainly Jazz and Blues.  For me, the Grados keep me happy in that area.  Though, I'm eagerly awaiting the return of my SR325i headphones from Grado in the next week or so - I want to get them back into service.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #530 of 65,633

Quote:

I think they are brilliant with jazz, they give the feeling that you are sitting in the middle of the band and are very realistic with the timbres of acoustic instruments especially. They excel with that type of music rather than orchestral.

I love the punchy sound of Monk's piano with my Rs1's Marvelous!

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #531 of 65,633
Awesome dudes, thanks for the responses! And LugBug I agree, acoustic instruments sound exceptional with my 225is! Not too say that electric guitar doesn't because it definitely does, its just that acoustic instruments like an upright bass and piano sound oh so sweet 
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #532 of 65,633
Hi there LugBug0 who knew you were a grado-head :D

Anyway I agree, Jazz sounds wonderful on my modded sr60i with bowls, some music sounds too compressed when wearing grados with flats or comfies, for the acoustic lover and jazz lover, I definitely recommend bowls, grado's perform wonderfully with them.

I definitely agree there too, grado's sound great with piano and instrumental sounds.

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #533 of 65,633

Quote:

Anyway I agree, Jazz sounds wonderful on my modded sr60i with bowls, some music sounds too compressed when wearing grados with flats or comfies, for the acoustic lover and jazz lover, I definitely recommend bowls, grado's perform wonderfully with them.

I definitely agree there too, grado's sound great with piano and instrumental sounds.

Hi, yeah I love my Grado's. Got my Rs1's for Jazz and 650's for Classical. Happy days!  

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #534 of 65,633

Quote:
Hi, yeah I love my Grado's. Got my Rs1's for Jazz and 650's for Classical. Happy days! 

Yeah seems like a good match, how do the rs1's perform for classical compared to the 650? I used to own the 650, but I didn't like the laid back sound with all my music. Then again I didn't have a good amp or dac back then. What do you think? :)

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #535 of 65,633

Quote:

Yeah seems like a good match, how do the rs1's perform for classical compared to the 650? I used to own the 650, but I didn't like the laid back sound with all my music. Then again I didn't have a good amp or dac back then. What do you think? :)

To be fair I do use the Rs1's for classical aswell, but mainly for chamber and ensemble peices. They are great with String quartets for e.g, you get a more intimate sound and feel of the strings, where as the 650's as you say can be a little too laid back in comparison. I've modded my 650's though to get a more open presentation by replacing the material on the drivers and this has helped with resolution and detail.  The RS1's can struggle with big orchestral peices and can sound a litte congested at times with the smaller soundstage, but this is where the 650's excel for me.  
Having said that, I still haven't found the perfect amp for my RS1's and I'm still new to their sound (only had them a couple of months). I've had my 650's 8 years so I know them well. I think I'm going to give a little dot 1+ a go with RS1's as its quite cheap and is popular among Grado fans. Have you tried one before? Also, how does your Hifiman sound with your Grados?  

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #536 of 65,633
Disclaimer: These may very well be effects from the placebo effect, I am in the process of setting up a blind test to verify these opinions, do not take any of this as fact.

My Ef2's sound great with my grado's, being a hybrid amp is gives me the benefits of solid state and tubes, I haven't started tube rolling yet, but the EF2 has performed very well with my grado's. Listening without it everything clogs up and sounds congested, but with it, the seperation is sublime, theres a wonderful layered presentation it excels at. It also clean up the high end a little. I have not tried the little dots, but I have heard good things about them too, I went for the EF2 because I was able to pick it up for $120, which was a steal as it retails for around $190. You get the lucidity, and smoothness in the mids from the tubes, and the accuracy and detail (although not excessive because I need a DAC) of an SS amp. Either of them would be great choices i'm sure.

Edit: Looking into the little dot I+ it is always a hybrid amp, I can only speak from experience with my ef2, but I'm sure they are comparable, and both great, they take the same kind of tubes, for tube rolling.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #537 of 65,633

Quote:

I think bowls are essential for Grados. I tried putting the bowls from the 225i and put them on the 80i, and while they are still not nearly as good IMO, they sounded loads better and more open. Some people swear by TTVJ flats, but seeing as how I haven't tried them I can't speak as to how good they are. As for the comfies, I don't find them very comfy at all when comparing them to bowls and they don't sound as good.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #540 of 65,633
 Hello folks, I am new here on Head-Fi, and am pretty much in love with my new Grado SR325is's!

Here are some pictures for all of you folks!

Resting on the Macbook Pro:

Hanging off of my college-granted desk lamp:

One glorious can:

Picture taken with phone application called RetroCamera:

Good view of the whole set with innards up:

Driver up close:

Another glorious can close-up:

My favorite view:

If God had headphones...

:-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back