Grado Fan Club!
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #64,771 of 65,631
Just ordered a GS3000x with XLR termination from Grado. Super strange as I was not allowed any expedited shipping options. Stay tuned,

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #64,772 of 65,631
Grado assured me ‘e’ drivers. That was the agreement. Besides email, I also spelled out the 325’is’ info etc. in the service request form included in the headphone packaging.

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't have any more e drivers at Grado USA, even if only for repairs. This is the same company that put in e drivers at the tail end of the i series. I don't blame them, as they need to maintain their assertion that the newer drivers are always better, even if some disagree. Remember, they used to repair broken HP1000s with RS1 drivers. Anyone who desired HP1000 drivers needed to get them repaired by Joseph Grado himself.

Foreign countries would be more likely to stock e drivers for repairs, as they're not the primary production facility. I got my GS3000e repaired with e drivers from Grado Canada. I'm thankful for this because I do think the e drivers sound better overall to my ears than the x drivers.

I'm more bothered by the fact that Grado doesn't seem to engage much with the community. I really wish they'd talk to us more, take our suggestions into account, and be more upfront about changes to their products.

Don't know if you were around for the HF2 drama, but the cups came out flawed with "Head-F1" lettering, except for a select few in the initial test batch. Numerous people gave Grado hell instead of being thankful that Grado was doing a special limited production run. (The PS500 wasn't a thing yet.) I noticed Grado becoming withdrawn after this: 4 years had passed between the HF1 and HF2, but 10 years passed between the HF2 and HF3. The HF3 was also snubbed by most people as a lesser model compared to the HF2. The HF2 was a unique offering priced at $439 and brought massive hype, while the HF3 at $350 looked like a smaller woodie that couldn't hold up against the RS2e or GH4.

So with the mob never being satisfied unless a model is released that obsoletes the rest of their lineup, it's better for Grado to just do their own thing. Look at Sennheiser: they still cannot separate themselves from the HD600 shadow.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #64,773 of 65,631
I am happy I still own one dynamic hp from another great brand which is the legendary hd600. This one is a keeper and I believe I own it since 2013. It's nice to switch one day from Grado to the Hd600. It's a darker but highly recommended hp.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #64,774 of 65,631
I'm thankful for this because I do think the e drivers sound better overall to my ears than the x drivers.

Don't know if you were around for the HF2 drama, but the cups came out flawed with "Head-F1" lettering, except for a select few in the initial test batch.

About your first point, I used to agree with you until I got my hands on the PS500x. To my ears, the PS500x is just as awesome, if not better, than my top two Grados with the 'e drivers', the GH1 and GH2.

Yeah, I was there for the HF2 drama. Had my own HF2 with the Head-F1 lettering. Those were some interesting times, for sure.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #64,775 of 65,631
I was checking out the CanJam NY thread, and it's kinda bummer seeing everyone rave about headphones, IEMs, and amps that cost a fortune. This hobby is getting a bit crazy. The new Feliks amp is $17,500, ATH amp is $108,000, ATH new headphone is $4200, RAAL new headphone is $8000 and the Trifecta IEM is $3375. Good thing we've got down-to-earth companies like Grado and Schiit keeping it real with affordable stuff!

XQxA3nj.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #64,776 of 65,631
I was checking out the CanJam NY thread, and it's kinda bummer seeing everyone rave about headphones, IEMs, and amps that cost a fortune. This hobby is getting a bit crazy. The new Feliks amp is $17,500, ATH amp is $108,000, ATH new headphone is $4200, RAAL new headphone is $8000 and the Trifecta IEM is $3375. Good thing we've got down-to-earth companies like Grado and Schiit keeping it real with affordable stuff!

XQxA3nj.jpg
Indeed. It's crazy !!!

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #64,778 of 65,631
digging up some old info about grado freesystem

s499172691.1.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/news/10934/index.html
From the cardboard brochure:
"Quality, Elegance Purity.

Experience the perfect balance of art and science, of simplicity and sophistication of purity with power.

From FreeSystems, the developer of Freespan (patent-pending) digital audio transmission technology and Grado Labs, world famous for its critically acclaimed headphones and phono cartridges, comes a truly ground-breaking product - the limited edition FreeSystems Grado Digital Headphone System.

The headphone system delivers perfect audio quality from your audio source to your favorite armchair through a crisp, clear and convenient digital wireless link - it's pure indulgence.

The pioneering system consits of the Freesystems-designed infra-red transmitter and receiver which incorporate the well-regarded Grado RA-1 headphone amplifier. The transmitter and receiver use Freespan full bandwidth, low noise, zero compression transmission technology to provide a crystal clear digital wireless link between the audio source and user.

Coupled with this is the understated yet classic headphone design from Grado Labs. The handcrafted precision headphone features machined aluminium components with a fine black leather headband that match the receiver's black and aluminium chassis.

Visually, the effect is a stunning balance of refined artisanship with cutting-edge technology - a balance as stunning as the sonic quality of the system itself.

The FreeSystems Grado Digital Headphone System, as a limited edition, is reserved for a select few - those special individuals who seek and appreciate art and science in perfect harmony. [evilcthul notes: or head-fizers/headwizers]"

Back of Brochure:
A state of the art headphone and amplifier system with Digital Wireless Link
* Digital Receiver with rechargeable NiMH batteries
* Charger
* Grado limited edition headphone
* Digital infra-red transmitter (not shown)
* User's Guide
* Limited edition certificate

Features:
Freespan wireless technology
* Full audio bandwidth (20hz to 20Khz @ -3dB)
* CD Quality
- Compression free
* No more hiss
- Crisp, clear and quiet
* Audio error correction
* Gentle mute

Grado Machined aluminium headphones:
*Hand crafted, matched

Infra-Red:
* Safe

Technical Specifications:
Transmitter
Power: external supply 100-240V 50-60Hz
Digital Audio Inputs: Optical (TOSLink), Coax (S/PDIF)
Analog audio input: 1 pair RCA phono jacks
High performance 24-bit ADC

Receiver
Power: built in, NiMH rechargeable battery
Charger: 100-240V 50-60hz
Horizontal pick-up: 360 dgrees
Amplifier: Grado RA1 Circuitry
High Performance 24bit DAC
Controls: off/on, mute
Battery Life: 5 hours

Grado Headphones
Type: open-air
Diaphragm: low mass polymer
Magnets: Neodymium
Voice Coils: Long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper
Driver: vented diaphragm design with a large air chamber.

11.jpg

The Digital Headphone System (www.FreeSystems-Grado-LE.com) which carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $3,800, will be available by February 1st, 2002, exclusively though a few select audio-video retailers.

no wonder it was never took off, it's more expensive than sony r10
It was sold in Japan at then yen700k in 2005 I think.

A hongkong collector has this to say about the difference between FG-1 and PS-1:

After comparison, it is certain that FG-1 is of higher quality than PS-1. FG-1 has a larger sound field, higher control and density than PS-1.
Just like the difference between L3000 and L3000G, the tone of FG-1 is not the style of JOHN GRADO but more like the style of JOSEPH GRADO
It is probably due to the request of Germany's FreeSystems to adjust it to a more neutral and uncontaminated relationship. The most popular GRADO among recording engineers is the HP1000.
JOHN GRADO was involved in the production of HP1000, so it was necessary to bring back the old tone, which JOHN GRADO knew how to adjust.
FG-1 is different from HP1000 in that it has much better quality and higher definition. PS-1 is the tuning style of JOHN GRADO.
I listened to the old RS-1 and replaced it with PS-1. The PS-1000 also has the same tone. The JOHN GRADO style is exciting, bright and sweet, and refreshing.
JOSEPH GRADO's style is neutral, peaceful, poetic and expressive. Due to its higher control power, FG-1 will have significantly better and more accurate positioning separation than PS-1 when listening to the greenhouse.
The full range is also more stable, and it feels more comfortable and bottomless, while the PS-1 is like a runaway wild horse when it comes out at low frequencies, and its momentum is of course very domineering and awesome.
But PS-1 is like a needle that cuts both ends, and in the end it will be chaotic and out of control. The low frequency of PS-1 is very overbearing. I liken it to the feeling of hitting an iron plate with a hammer. Many friends around me can't stand such strong low frequency.
Of course, you can use methods to weaken it, but this is not an inversion. If you don't like to buy other GRADO, it's better than why do it. FG-1, on the other hand, is much more royal, not so domineering, fierce, crazy, and violent.
But it is deeper, more detailed, more dense and more authoritative. . . .

https://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-293147-1-1.html

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #64,779 of 65,631

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312-235129_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-235129_Chrome.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #64,780 of 65,631
More of how FG-1 sounds here back in 2014 in Taiwan:

http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=115781&start=100

On Wednesday, April 2nd, I listened to the old artifacts GRADO FG1 and HP1 collected by my boss at Taichung Yuanyin (replaced with GS1000i ear pads), and the front end was North Star Design DAC32 + AT-HA22Tube / Bobby (balanced output). Comparison The headphones are PS1000 Balanced, GS1000i, SRH1840, and SRH1540.

When I first listened to Shure's two headphones, I found that the lines were not as clear as those of GRADO, the transition between frequency bands was not smooth enough, and the high frequency part had a slight sense of dissipation. When I listened to the violin performance, FG1 and HP1 interpreted it more naturally and vividly. The rhythm of the song or the emotional ups and downs are all interpreted appropriately. Unfortunately, the front-end still has room for improvement, and it is not the best match. Only driving the PS1000 Balanced and GS1000i is still insufficient, and the low frequencies are uncontrolled, which somewhat suppresses the performance of the mid and high frequencies. .

The old artifacts FG1 and HP1 may be due to their background age. The extension of the low frequency band is not as good as that of the PS1000 Balanced and GS1000i, and they stop at the dive point. However, the mid-frequency is thick and dense, loose and charming, which meets my requirements of comfort and listening resistance, and It has good driveability and is not prone to making bad noises.

On the other hand, in terms of the interpretation of Japanese, Korean and American pop music, SRH1840 and SRH1540 have the advantages of modern tuning, especially the mid-frequency vocals, which are particularly close to the listener, although they have a slight graininess and density. It is not as full and realistic as GRADO, but it still takes into account the restoration of background instruments. This is the quality that high-end headphones should have.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #64,781 of 65,631
The HF3 was also snubbed by most people as a lesser model compared to the HF2. The HF2 was a unique offering priced at $439 and brought massive hype, while the HF3 at $350 looked like a smaller woodie that couldn't hold up against the RS2e or GH4.
I had the HF3. Mostly memorable as being the first Grado to use the grotesque cable sleeving that would later become standard issue for x-series. Its funny that people criticized for years Grado’s rubber hose cables but only for Grado to exchange for something even worse. That’s just another kick in the nuts for my 325e repair: (seemingly) SR80x drivers and cables.

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't have any more e drivers at Grado USA
Wouldnt surprise me either which is why I was so specific and requiring clear affirmation from Grado support about the repair. Im guessing Grado email “support” does not communicate with Grado’s employees or has no idea what’s going on or worse: “support” doesnt give a schiit.

Remember, they used to repair broken HP1000s with RS1 drivers.
Still occurs, thread has lots of discussion that classic drivers will be replaced with something else by Grado. But the bad part is Grado doesnt warn the customers ime and others. Grado is trying to pull two fast ones: not warning customer, then not telling customer afterwards expecting that they wont notice because they believe their customers are stupid, deaf, or without recourse.

Good thing we've got down-to-earth companies like Grado and Schiit keeping it real with affordable stuff!
Schiit I will heartily agree. Schiit even recommends to customers to buy RCA cables from a company called “Snake Oil”.

But Grado sells stuff like PS2000 for multi-thousands of dollars. Normally with headphones the driver is the major difference in sonics, particular with a company like Grado who uses the same enclosure style for most all their models. Enclosure material I imagine makes a fraction of the sound drifference between models. For example, Grado is not putting RS2 drivers in an SR60... Just like Hifiman uses weaker magnets in lower tier models just for price segmentation marketing despite differences in costs of magnets being a few dollars. Grado bases price on what they believe customers are willing to pay just like most all companies aside from heroes like Schiit.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #64,782 of 65,631
Wouldn't surprise me if they don't have any more e drivers at Grado USA, even if only for repairs. This is the same company that put in e drivers at the tail end of the i series. I don't blame them, as they need to maintain their assertion that the newer drivers are always better, even if some disagree. Remember, they used to repair broken HP1000s with RS1 drivers. Anyone who desired HP1000 drivers needed to get them repaired by Joseph Grado himself.

Foreign countries would be more likely to stock e drivers for repairs, as they're not the primary production facility. I got my GS3000e repaired with e drivers from Grado Canada. I'm thankful for this because I do think the e drivers sound better overall to my ears than the x drivers.

Don't know if you were around for the HF2 drama, but the cups came out flawed with "Head-F1" lettering, except for a select few in the initial test batch. Numerous people gave Grado hell instead of being thankful that Grado was doing a special limited production run. (The PS500 wasn't a thing yet.) I noticed Grado becoming withdrawn after this: 4 years had passed between the HF1 and HF2, but 10 years passed between the HF2 and HF3. The HF3 was also snubbed by most people as a lesser model compared to the HF2. The HF2 was a unique offering priced at $439 and brought massive hype, while the HF3 at $350 looked like a smaller woodie that couldn't hold up against the RS2e or GH4.

So with the mob never being satisfied unless a model is released that obsoletes the rest of their lineup, it's better for Grado to just do their own thing. Look at Sennheiser: they still cannot separate themselves from the HD600 shadow.
I have owned all 3 Grado Headfi headphones.
Still own the HF3 .

The HF1 was a great rock headphone.
The HF2 I never got on with.
I found it too bright for my taste.

HF3 if I remember rightly was sold by TTVJ and $100-$200 of the price was given to charity.
Yes unfortunately it was the first Grado with the newer cable.

I still play the HF3 occasionally but most of my Grado listening is with diy Grado headphones with 4.4mm balanced cables as most of my portable gear uses 4.4mm.
I made a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm pigtail cable for S/E use.
Love how some Grados gel with Schiit amps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #64,783 of 65,631
I had the HF3. Mostly memorable as being the first Grado to use the grotesque cable sleeving that would later become standard issue for x-series. Its funny that people criticized for years Grado’s rubber hose cables but only for Grado to exchange for something even worse. That’s just another kick in the nuts for my 325e repair: (seemingly) SR80x drivers and cables.

Wouldnt surprise me either which is why I was so specific and requiring clear affirmation from Grado support about the repair. Im guessing Grado email “support” does not communicate with Grado’s employees or has no idea what’s going on or worse: “support” doesnt give a schiit.

Still occurs, thread has lots of discussion that classic drivers will be replaced with something else by Grado. But the bad part is Grado doesnt warn the customers ime and others. Grado is trying to pull two fast ones: not warning customer, then not telling customer afterwards expecting that they wont notice because they believe their customers are stupid, deaf, or without recourse.

Schiit I will heartily agree. Schiit even recommends to customers to buy RCA cables from a company called “Snake Oil”.

But Grado sells stuff like PS2000 for multi-thousands of dollars. Normally with headphones the driver is the major difference in sonics, particular with a company like Grado who uses the same enclosure style for most all their models. Enclosure material I imagine makes a fraction of the sound drifference between models. For example, Grado is not putting RS2 drivers in an SR60... Just like Hifiman uses weaker magnets in lower tier models just for price segmentation marketing despite differences in costs of magnets being a few dollars. Grado bases price on what they believe customers are willing to pay just like most all companies aside from heroes like Schiit.
If within phone range calling and speaking to someone at Grado would probably be best. With having been in retail audio for over 35 years and being an authorized Grado dealer during that time I have sold hundreds and almost never had a problem with any of my customer’s units and if there was they were taken care of and happy with the results. With all my assorted brands of phones in my collection my PS2000e is still one of my most enjoyable listens but actually took almost 300 hours of break in to fully evolve. It also was conceived, designed and developed over a period of almost two years with a good number of prototypes before it reached it’s final production stage and deemed ready for prime time.

For most phones proper fit and positioning on ear are crucial to hit the sweet spot. That includes bending the headband carefully to get proper pressure. You of course need to use special tools (your ears) to judge what sounds best to you. If I haven’t listened to them (or any of my other phones) for a long period of time they will need some small additional time playing to reach their previous sonic performance. This is not unique to Grado but is not the case with my multiple electrostatics and most planars that I own. My 3 cents worth. Feel free to pm me if you like.

PS not to be forgotten with Grado or most any brand phone parts for older models may no longer be available. I would be surprised if they had original drivers for the RS2, that first version is quite old, I know as I had one and of course as previously mentioned would have been selling them as a dealer too. They came out perhaps a year after the original RS1 (vintage/ button). I can pretty much guarantee that there are no identical drivers for them (mine sound great and are by far in my opinion are the best sounding RS1 variant).

On the Grado front they have always been a high value to price ratio, among the best out there.

I don’t know about any here but when I hear about a brand changing their model prices down and then back up and want $600 or more for replacement drivers I would feel more than disappointed, losing faith in them. How nice is it to pay $4000 for a companie’s TOTL to then have them arbitrarily drop that down to $3000 for a while to boost sales I think most of us who bought at the higher price have to feel cheated and betrayed.

Those are my thoughts, your’s certainly may view things differently.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #64,785 of 65,631
About your first point, I used to agree with you until I got my hands on the PS500x. To my ears, the PS500x is just as awesome, if not better, than my top two Grados with the 'e drivers', the GH1 and GH2.
I do prefer the GH2 by just a bit, but yes, the PS500x is a purchase I'm more than happy with. I'm still tempted to get a PS500e to compare :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back