Grado Fan Club!
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #64,756 of 65,714
GH1 got delivered yesterday and they're killer! Tried them with G cushions for a while but then swapped out for the F cushions from my 225x and those are where it's at for me given that I mainly wanted Grados for rock and metal. Really like the punchier and more intimate sound with the F cushions and the GH1 definitely feels like a substantial step up from the 225x in refinement and engagement. Will be listing the 225x for sale today or tomorrow if anyone is interested (since I've stolen the F cushions from them I'll be selling them with G cushions, which I haven't yet tried on the 225x but it seems there's a number of fans of that combo)

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #64,757 of 65,714
Checking in while listening to the PS500x's...

Started listening to them 4 hours ago, very comfortable, can't take them off... I was going to compare them to other headphones, but it's Friday and these are just too fun to listen to...

Over on the Schitt Forum, someone suggested

Amaro Freitas

1709941577709.png

new album on Qobuz... very wide soundstage and super quick on the PS500x.
That Amaro Freitas album is fantastic. Saw it in the Qobuz new releases section, and started the first track just for a taste, and ended up listening to the whole album straight through. Caliente!

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #64,758 of 65,714
IMG_2653.jpeg
Grado 325i with 325x drivers and new version of x-series cable (left, below).
IMG_2662.jpeg

Grado assured me that my 325’is’ would be repaired with ‘e’ series drivers. Instead they installed x-driver and x-cable. Im not too mad assuming 325x driver because the new x-cable they installed is much improved over my old 325x’s cable. Anyways, 325ix sounds awesome! Will compare against 325x later but presumably same sound assuming same driver. The drivers look identical at least. Grado did not inform me of repair details.

- 325’is’ repair though different than described by Grado turned out to be a good surprise for me and was swift at ~ 1week turn around time.

- RS2x repair is encroaching now on 2months. I dont miss it much because 325x preferable anyway, and the metal cupped Grados seem less susceptible to cable microphonics.

Will compare PS500e to 325x later.

Apparently I missed limited PS500x. well schiit
Basically a new pair of cans for a repair fee... not bad.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #64,759 of 65,714
That Amaro Freitas album is fantastic. Saw it in the Qobuz new releases section, and started the first track just for a taste, and ended up listening to the whole album straight through. Caliente!
+1 amazing album - didn't know him at all .....thanks :)

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #64,760 of 65,714
I did not look at the SR80x cable, but the cable on my PS500x and the SR328x looked quite similar on thickness, but felt a bit different as I noted before. But that difference is in the sheeting I'd say, not due to different cable configurations.

Anyway, I've spent quite some time with my GH2, PS500x and PS2000e, as well as a bit with the GS3000x at my local shop -- again.
Overall my favorite is still the GH2, but both the PS500x and the PS2000e are very nice additions. The PS2000e actually makes me think about possibly trying out a tube amp (not an OTL obviously)... lets see.

Listening to the PS2000e vs. the GS3000x I like the former more. It's more even to me, and yes, it does have a bit more bass (a bit deeper reaching, but not very far...). The GS3000x has an overall brighter signature with good details, but I prefer the a bit more balanced picture the PS2000e paints. Man, is that wood nice though...
IMG_3705.jpegIMG_3706.jpegIMG_3704.jpegIMG_3707.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #64,761 of 65,714
Basically a new pair of cans for a repair fee... not bad.
Not bad if the new drivers + cables are better. Some people may prefer their RS2 over RS2i over RS2e over RS2x… etc.

Grado assured me ‘e’ drivers. That was the agreement. Besides email, I also spelled out the 325’is’ info etc. in the service request form included in the headphone packaging.

325x is very good so doubtful 325e is preferable but I wouldve liked to have compared them for my self. Now I may have an extra 325x, or worse an 80x which is something Id not buy but possibly just did which is bad.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #64,762 of 65,714
Not bad if the new drivers + cables are better. Some people may prefer their RS2 over RS2i over RS2e over RS2x… etc.

Grado assured me ‘e’ drivers. That was the agreement. Besides email, I also spelled out the 325’is’ info etc. in the service request form included in the headphone packaging.

325x is very good so doubtful 325e is preferable but I wouldve liked to have compared them for my self. Now I may have an extra 325x, or worse an 80x which is something Id not buy but possibly just did which is bad.
Yeah, I can reason with that.

My only concern would be their stock of older drivers on hand.
Being they're out of production, I'm sure their numbers of OG, i, e, are non-existent or very low.

Guess a note to self is don't buy the same headphone with different driver generations as the repair typically bolsters the newer of the drivers.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #64,764 of 65,714
Does anyone have any experience with the Ps1000e (or I suppose the PS2000e) and the Beautiful Audio hybrid pads?

I’m liking my PS1000e more now that I have a tube amp to pair it with, but the lack of bass and the discomfort of the G Cushions is still a drawback.

I’m considering the Beautiful Audio pads hoping they’d up the bass and increase comfort, but I’m also open to other pad swap ideas (I know ZMF offers Grado adapters and leather Beyerdynamic pads for them for instance).

Is there a good path y’all would recommend?

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #64,765 of 65,714
Hi All

In the last week I have become a new member of the Grado fan club.

Some might consider me an unlikely convert because for many years I’ve been someone that gravitates towards neutral audio stuff. I love my Sennheiser HD800S cans and when I go into town I like to use my Austrian Audio Hi-X60 cans. This might give you an idea of how much I like that neutral, everything-in-its-place sound.

I have two DAC/amps a Meridian Prime with its separate power supply and an iFi Audio Gryphon.

Anyway a week ago I purchased a pair of Grado SR325x cans and I have been absolutely loving them. I think it is the most exciting audio purchase I’ve made in decades actually, I built my first audio system in the 70s when I was in my teens, and I’m finding it difficult to think of a more exciting discovery than the Grado SR325x.

What prompted me to try them out was some positive reviews from fairly sane people like DMS on YouTube and a review at What Hi Fi (which is a fairly sane UK publication) which is extremely positive. I knew that I can return them within 30 days if I don’t like them, so I decided to try them.

What has blown me away is the sound that is so alive, it really is tremendously engaging. In fact I do think they are surprisingly neutral and the stereo image is really excellent. It is nowhere near as big and detailed as that of my HD800S cans, but it is a beautiful stereo image, it is the only way I can find to describe it actually, it is also a very stable image, which somehow seems to contradict the observation that the sound is so full of life, however it is how I experience it. The sounds are very well located and totally stable, but so full of life.

They lend themselves to all the genres I listen to really very well indeed, they certainly are great allrounders. I listen to a lot of electronic music and for some reason I had thought maybe they’d be more about acoustic instruments, but these are superb with electronic music and in fact in my headphone collection they are now the go-to for electronic music.

I also listen to lots of jazz, classical from the 20th and 21st century and experimental music in general. These are just wonderful for all these music types.

They capture what is going on between players better than any other headphone (or speakers) that I’ve listened to. When listening to jazz I really feel the vibe between the players, that chemistry between the players works so well on these, better than I’ve heard it on, actually, anything else.

I think the treble is a bit coloured but I don’t mind. It has a sweet golden tinge to it, but it is very pleasant to listen to and the strengths of these cans are just so great that I would not complain at all about this.

Wonderful, wonderful cans.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #64,766 of 65,714
@piglet
Welcome to the Grado club! Yes, Grado brings you really into the music. As if you are really close to the artists who play and sing the music. That's what I really love about the Ps2000e

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #64,768 of 65,714
Hi All

In the last week I have become a new member of the Grado fan club.

Some might consider me an unlikely convert because for many years I’ve been someone that gravitates towards neutral audio stuff. I love my Sennheiser HD800S cans and when I go into town I like to use my Austrian Audio Hi-X60 cans. This might give you an idea of how much I like that neutral, everything-in-its-place sound.

I have two DAC/amps a Meridian Prime with its separate power supply and an iFi Audio Gryphon.

Anyway a week ago I purchased a pair of Grado SR325x cans and I have been absolutely loving them. I think it is the most exciting audio purchase I’ve made in decades actually, I built my first audio system in the 70s when I was in my teens, and I’m finding it difficult to think of a more exciting discovery than the Grado SR325x.

What prompted me to try them out was some positive reviews from fairly sane people like DMS on YouTube and a review at What Hi Fi (which is a fairly sane UK publication) which is extremely positive. I knew that I can return them within 30 days if I don’t like them, so I decided to try them.

What has blown me away is the sound that is so alive, it really is tremendously engaging. In fact I do think they are surprisingly neutral and the stereo image is really excellent. It is nowhere near as big and detailed as that of my HD800S cans, but it is a beautiful stereo image, it is the only way I can find to describe it actually, it is also a very stable image, which somehow seems to contradict the observation that the sound is so full of life, however it is how I experience it. The sounds are very well located and totally stable, but so full of life.

They lend themselves to all the genres I listen to really very well indeed, they certainly are great allrounders. I listen to a lot of electronic music and for some reason I had thought maybe they’d be more about acoustic instruments, but these are superb with electronic music and in fact in my headphone collection they are now the go-to for electronic music.

I also listen to lots of jazz, classical from the 20th and 21st century and experimental music in general. These are just wonderful for all these music types.

They capture what is going on between players better than any other headphone (or speakers) that I’ve listened to. When listening to jazz I really feel the vibe between the players, that chemistry between the players works so well on these, better than I’ve heard it on, actually, anything else.

I think the treble is a bit coloured but I don’t mind. It has a sweet golden tinge to it, but it is very pleasant to listen to and the strengths of these cans are just so great that I would not complain at all about this.

Wonderful, wonderful cans.
Welcome to the Grado club my friend, an experience that is very blissful.
Undoubtedly some of the best money I've ever spent, and I will take that to my grave.

Every single model has a unique experience and intimacy...
Like fine wine, cuban cigars, and specialty cheese. You will get a different flavor, every single time.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and cheers to being apart of the Grado family.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #64,769 of 65,714
From everything I've read moving from the V590 to the V222 you will experience a different sound signature, more bass impact, slightly rolled of highs, and less soundstage, imo you'd be better off going to the V550 if you want to retain the same sound, but then moving from the 590 to the 550 you obviously not going to save a lot, that being said you may like the sound of V222 so worth a listen.
Got the V222 in today, playing the 3rd album through it now (Koufax and Billie Marten via Deezer), randomly switching my GH2 and DCA E3 with the V590² Pro. So far, they sound super close… which is kind of what I was hoping for… But I can guess towards what you were saying about bass and soundstage.

HP8 should be here tomorrow and I couldn’t resist and got that V281 as well… 🤭
Gonna be a busy week and weekend and…

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #64,770 of 65,714
Got the V222 in today, playing the 3rd album through it now (Koufax and Billie Marten via Deezer), randomly switching my GH2 and DCA E3 with the V590² Pro. So far, they sound super close… which is kind of what I was hoping for… But I can guess towards what you were saying about bass and soundstage.

HP8 should be here tomorrow and I couldn’t resist and got that V281 as well… 🤭
Gonna be a busy week and weekend and…
You are building an Awesome collection! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back