Grado Fan Club!
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #64,726 of 65,584
Hi there.

I like to read this Grado thread very much and i am interested in Grado headphones. I really like the looks of it.

What Grado model/s would you lovers of theese headphones recommend to me?

I like to listen to rock and metal most of the time. Sometimes jazz and pop music 60s/70s/80s too.

I like detailed sound with nice treble snd mids. Sure a good bass is very nice too. But it should not be too thick and boomy.

Thank you very much.
The only Grado that excels in bass is the PS500e, maybe even the OG PS500 or PS500X. Not a single model focuses on it, they’re not known for that I guess, the bass is still there however depending on the model. I have an SR125x that has a punchy bass accolade.

I’m a huge believer in the RS1, any variation is fine. RS1e, RS1i, RS1x… They are just awesome.

Any Grado will introduce you to the sound we know and love, they are very genre fluid and friendly. Be aware…. once you get the bug you can’t go back. Every day I fight the temptation of buying another pair, I love them that much.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #64,728 of 65,584
Wonderful !! ...... The weight of the PS2000e earcups almost mandates the use of the Nyczaj Audio gimbal / rod / block assemblies - especially if you seek a secure / stable adjustment of the earcups. A more padded 'deep' headband is also helpful - for comfort & sound quality ....C6F50C86-B2DB-4E7F-9D37-36F4AB750895.jpeg
Thank you :)
Yours are in much better condition than my pair, which might necessitate to replace the rod blocks at least. With comfort I'm quite happy already surprisingly, I would have expected to feel the weight much more but don't.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #64,729 of 65,584
THIS IS ACTUALLY FOR PLAKAT: Congrats on a great score. Do you have any history on it as to how much the seller had used it? I really enjoy my PS2000e which I got as soon it was introduced. I ask that since in my experience the PS2000e just kept evolving and improving for the first 300 hours of playtime. That is the most amount of break in I have ever had to put on a phone by a good bit. Maybe your new addition has not gotten to that point yet which would be great with the best sound yet to come.

Regardless, enjoy one of the special ones…

I must have been more tired than I thought……
Thank you!
Yes, I'm very happy to have found one in working conditions, albeit optically it... has lived. Given its condition it must have been used *a lot*, but I did not have direct contact with the seller: it was sold through a dealer.

I did listen quite a bit yesterday, and I really like them. Given the reviews I'd expected a bit more bass and more extension down low, but overall its fine and the rest is done so well that I had a beautiful day with lots of music. It does sound much more refined than my two other PS models, and while the PS500x is maybe more engaging, the PS2000e still holds its own with silky smooth treble, good spatial separation and details that don't distract. Its easy to see/hear the whole piece of music while still being able to pick out details, but it never dissects music in a technical way.

It would have been nice to get a spotless unit, but I see it as pre-loved :)
IMG_3680.jpegIMG_3681.jpeg

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #64,730 of 65,584
The only Grado that excels in bass is the PS500e, maybe even the OG PS500 or PS500X. Not a single model focuses on it, they’re not known for that I guess, the bass is still there however depending on the model. I have an SR125x that has a punchy bass accolade.

I’m a huge believer in the RS1, any variation is fine. RS1e, RS1i, RS1x… They are just awesome.

Any Grado will introduce you to the sound we know and love, they are very genre fluid and friendly. Be aware…. once you get the bug you can’t go back. Every day I fight the temptation of buying another pair, I love them that much.
Very nice written. Thank you very much. Soon i will try one of the Grados and post it in this forum.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #64,731 of 65,584
Very nice written. Thank you very much. Soon i will try one of the Grados and post it in this forum.
FWIW: I think the point many are trying to convey is that a part of this affection to Grados can better grow and flourish, if you start with one of the cheaper and readily available models. Then you'll find out how the basic sound is - and if you want to go further down this one way street :darthsmile: Of course if you start with the top models, you will most likely be in a sweet spot immediately, but you have skipped an interesting part of the journey...Safe travels:)

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #64,732 of 65,584
That’s super interesting and comes very timely as I’ve been toying with the idea of exchanging my DHA V590² Pro for a V281 or V222 or try the Schiit range of amps, with the Jot2 being the top of the list…

Been listening to DCAs almost exclusively over the last 3 weeks (ending up with an E3), but then took out my GH2 again yesterday - and was immediately reminded why this one blew me away so thoroughly when I first got it. Nothing like you first (Grado) love 🤎

Interesting, you're thinking of going from the the V590 to a V222 or V281, I'm thinking of going from a V202 to a V550, out of interest what are you looking for with the exchange in terms of sound? I'm assuming bass, warmth?

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #64,733 of 65,584
FWIW: I think the point many are trying to convey is that a part of this affection to Grados can better grow and flourish, if you start with one of the cheaper and readily available models. Then you'll find out how the basic sound is - and if you want to go further down this one way street :darthsmile: Of course if you start with the top models, you will most likely be in a sweet spot immediately, but you have skipped an interesting part of the journey...Safe travels:)
Yeah i guess thats the point. I do not know where to start. But yes i will try a model of lesser costs and find out, if the sound, comfort and style is nice for me.

Thanks mates!

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #64,734 of 65,584
So… I ended up buying a pair of SR125X. Put on a leather headband (way more comfy) and slapped on L cushions. Absolutely blowing my SR80’s out of the water. Way more balanced and bass is punchier and more present. More space and the midrange is glorious. Guitars and vocals just sound right. Man, if it gets better then my wallet will hurt.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #64,735 of 65,584
So… I ended up buying a pair of SR125X. Put on a leather headband (way more comfy) and slapped on L cushions. Absolutely blowing my SR80’s out of the water. Way more balanced and bass is punchier and more present. More space and the midrange is glorious. Guitars and vocals just sound right. Man, if it gets better then my wallet will hurt.
If you’re like many of us on this thread, your wallet will eventually have nothing but lint, dust balls and moths in it. 😁

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #64,736 of 65,584
This is just the beginning... Your wallet will be experiencing unexplored realms of pain later. Perhaps a gs3000x one month later

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #64,737 of 65,584
Just grabbed a pair of SR325x's for only £160 unused open box, couldn't say no for that price, looking forward to comparing them with the SR225e which is a gem.

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #64,738 of 65,584
If you’re like many of us on this thread, your wallet will eventually have nothing but lint, dust balls and moths in it. 😁
Haha - It CAN indeed go that way for many a Grado-fan.
I did own the Golden 325i, RS1i, GS1000 over the years. Today, I have the HEMP an original SR325(with no letter) and a SR225e. I have now put the HEMP up for sale locally since the SR225e is perfect for giving me that original bright, edgy, open and punchy Grado sound. I do not need anything else...

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #64,739 of 65,584
Interesting, you're thinking of going from the the V590 to a V222 or V281, I'm thinking of going from a V202 to a V550, out of interest what are you looking for with the exchange in terms of sound? I'm assuming bass, warmth?
Actually, I’m hoping to retain the sound of the amp, but save 1k on the DAC unit I don’t actually need. The analog section should be pretty similar, no? When I got a separate tube amp (Cayin HA-6A), I consequently added a separate DAC (Nuprime DAC-9) and quite enjoy the added versatility the 100 step volume control of the DAC-9 gives me in combination with the HA-6A.

Now, the idea is to run all inputs (Vinyl & Streaming via Linn Selekt DSM and CD-9) into the DAC and from there to the Violectric V222 and an Icon Audio HP8 MK2 SE, replacing the HA-6A, and when the mood strikes to my Grado RA-1. Yeah, I know, lotsa levers being shifted here… 😅

I have a V222 and a HP8 incoming next week. Absolute worst case scenario: they’re both worse than what I already got, then they’ll go again. If they do what I hope they do, I’ll be selling the two bigger amps and hopefully have „saved“ 2K from when I started… 🤞

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #64,740 of 65,584
Actually, I’m hoping to retain the sound of the amp, but save 1k on the DAC unit I don’t actually need. The analog section should be pretty similar, no? When I got a separate tube amp (Cayin HA-6A), I consequently added a separate DAC (Nuprime DAC-9) and quite enjoy the added versatility the 100 step volume control of the DAC-9 gives me in combination with the HA-6A.

Now, the idea is to run all inputs (Vinyl & Streaming via Linn Selekt DSM and CD-9) into the DAC and from there to the Violectric V222 and an Icon Audio HP8 MK2 SE, replacing the HA-6A, and when the mood strikes to my Grado RA-1. Yeah, I know, lotsa levers being shifted here… 😅

I have a V222 and a HP8 incoming next week. Absolute worst case scenario: they’re both worse than what I already got, then they’ll go again. If they do what I hope they do, I’ll be selling the two bigger amps and hopefully have „saved“ 2K from when I started… 🤞
HP8 MkII Signature is my favourite h/p/a !!! ☑️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back