Grado Fan Club!
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #64,411 of 65,581
The Grado RS1is still one of the best, Grado ever made. The others have been steps to the side but not absolutely up. Bass surprises me again and again. And it is so naturaly, balanced sounding.
From the Littel Dots I would prefer mk1 to mk2. MK1as a hybrid delivers more current so you get more punch out of your Gados. Have upgrade my MK1 with Burson V6 Vivid and Mullard Tubes.
IMG_2645.JPEG
Your headphones shine. No Howard's Feed and Wax for you.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #64,412 of 65,581
I still haven't waxed my headphones. I should probably do that

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #64,413 of 65,581
Here's an oddball question. Let's say I bought a pair of og RS1 or some Gh1 or something. Would Grado still service that? I understand it would be paid

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #64,415 of 65,581
Grado has a fixed price for repairs that are past warranty so you would know before deciding. If you call them they can let you know what that fixed price is. I think it may be $150 including shipping back to you,

Check it out.

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #64,416 of 65,581
Badass. Appreciate the responses. I just had no idea because I've never had to have anything serviced by Grado.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #64,417 of 65,581
Well, the left side of my GS3000x just died. It was everything OK on Monday, went to a business trip, came back and suddenly there is no sound on the left side. No one touched it. It is actually the first Grado which failed me inclusive the the 20+ years old HP2i I had. It is still under guarantee, since I bought it 3 March last year back in Germany. But I guess I have to retrofit the gimbals and headband to the factory one If I want to service it. I was suprised by this to say the least.
During my quest to purchase a GS3000x I got two units with channel imbalances, which in one case got worse during my test period (a few days)… I did not keep it.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #64,418 of 65,581
The Grado RS1is still one of the best, Grado ever made. The others have been steps to the side but not absolutely up. Bass surprises me again and again. And it is so naturaly, balanced sounding.
From the Littel Dots I would prefer mk1 to mk2. MK1as a hybrid delivers more current so you get more punch out of your Gados. Have upgrade my MK1 with Burson V6 Vivid and Mullard Tubes.
IMG_2645.JPEG
Beautiful :)
I really have to take mine out more often…

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #64,420 of 65,581
Badass. Appreciate the responses. I just had no idea because I've never had to have anything serviced by Grado.
With all the Grados I have and have had I never ever needed any servicing. Buy new pads when the old ones are shot and get started all over again is usually the limit of upkeep.

Hey, Even Rolls Royce and Bentley have service back up.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #64,421 of 65,581
so why did you sell?
The MK9 is nice, but not something that I use every day or even every week. Recently I lost my Violectric for about three months and I realized just how much I love that amp compared to everything else I own. And I am in trimming the collection mode.
I put three pairs of headphones up for sale last weekend and that amp. There will be more going soon. :smile:

PS: After I sold the amp, I immediately hooked it up to my Meze 109 Pro's and they sounded great together!

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #64,422 of 65,581
I really liked the RS1e...(never heard the RS1i).
But my 1e has been on a shelf since the left side
stopped working about 6 months ago.
Recently bought the RS1x, was hoping it would be similar or better (than the 1e)
but it's a no go on that - the 1x is pretty good IMO but I liked the 1e more. Quite a bit more.

Guess I'll have to pony up the $150 repair fee - or whatever that fee is today
I've always found Grado to be reasonable in pricing their repairs...

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #64,423 of 65,581
Thanks a lot! This makes a lot of sense and I can actually understand what you're saying.

My "reviews" are, in fact, mere write-ups both because I cannot and do not want to do something different.

I rate your review 10/10 for my needs, thank you very much for your help! I shall place the order for my GS3000x tomorrow I think (but I'm also keeping my SR325x :wink:).

@Luckyleo I just got my GS3000x – thanks again for your input, you were spot on.

The GS3000x, unsurprisingly, are in a different league but, for those like me who wanted an idea of how they sound compared to the SR325x, @Luckyleo's aforementioned description is spot-on. The only element I might add is that, in terms of low end, the SR325x are more visceral but that's it.

The GS3000x is the better of the two headphones by a country mile. It is more balanced, layered and mature from a timbre standpoint. More on them later but I am loving them!!!

P.S. All of the above is via a Schiit Jotunheim 2 with a True Multibit DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #64,425 of 65,581
@jonathan c

I know you have several balanced Grado's and I've seen that you have a Violectric amp. I'm thinking of sending my RS1x to Moon Audio for modification with detachable cables. It would have the HD800 connectors. What are your thoughts regarding the balanced vs. SE sound signature? Appreciate the feedback.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back