Grado Fan Club!
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #64,426 of 65,698
@jonathan c

I know you have several balanced Grado's and I've seen that you have a Violectric amp. I'm thinking of sending my RS1x to Moon Audio for modification with detachable cables. It would have the HD800 connectors. What are your thoughts regarding the balanced vs. SE sound signature? Appreciate the feedback.

Leo
I never understood the use the of upgrading the Grado's to balanced as they are so easy to drive. Of course if you have a balanced amp then the balanced output is probably the highest quality output so I guess I answered my own question. :grin:

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #64,427 of 65,698
@jonathan c

I know you have several balanced Grado's and I've seen that you have a Violectric amp. I'm thinking of sending my RS1x to Moon Audio for modification with detachable cables. It would have the HD800 connectors. What are your thoughts regarding the balanced vs. SE sound signature? Appreciate the feedback.

Leo
Leo, the differences in sound between SE and balanced lies entirely in the Dac and amp, not the headphones. That said, with your V222, you should experience a pretty nice improvement moving from SE to balanced. I auditioned it at CanJam and found the balanced output to be noticeably superior.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #64,428 of 65,698
Grado has a fixed price for repairs that are past warranty so you would know before deciding. If you call them they can let you know what that fixed price is. I think it may be $150 including shipping back to you,

Check it out.
I did find out that the fixed repair price is based on the model needing service and will cover the shipping back to you as long as you are based in the U. S. If not then you would be responsible for return shipping.
All of the above makes sense.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #64,429 of 65,698
@Luckyleo I just got my GS3000x – thanks again for your input, you were spot on.

The GS3000x, unsurprisingly, are in a different league but, for those like me who wanted an idea of how they sound compared to the SR325x, @Luckyleo's aforementioned description is spot-on. The only element I might add is that, in terms of low end, the SR325x are more visceral but that's it.

The GS3000x is the better of the two headphones by a country mile. It is more balanced, layered and mature from a timbre standpoint. More on them later but I am loving them!!!

P.S. All of the above is way a Schiit Jotunheim 2 with a True Multibit DAC.
This reflects my experience with the RS1X. Everything else sounds bloated to me now. It's a very mature sounding bass. Congrats on the gs3000x. I'm so jealous.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #64,430 of 65,698
@jonathan c

Leo
• I have two Grados (GS3000x, RS-1x) with fixed XLR amplifier-end terminated cables. These, I can listen via the XLR headphone cable socket on Liquid Platinum and on Violectric HPA V281.
• When using other h/p/a with only SE / TRS sockets, I use an adapter from Audiophile Ninja.
B556B470-4281-45E8-9DC2-87C6AC40079D.jpeg
• Note that the TRS (brass) part of the adapter is one piece versus the two-piece build of the current Grado 1/8" / 1/4" terminations. I prefer the 'peace of mind' from a more robust connection.
• I will say that RS-1x via XLR connection from Violectric V281 has somewhat more impact, soundstage delineation than from SE connection. Make no mistake, either is hugely enjoyable 😀.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #64,431 of 65,698
This reflects my experience with the RS1X. Everything else sounds bloated to me now. It's a very mature sounding bass. Congrats on the gs3000x. I'm so jealous.
Don't be, I've only read positive things about the RS1x but it does seem to have a different tuning so you might end-up disappointed by the GS3000x if you like the RS1x that much.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #64,433 of 65,698
Yes, you should take them and any other phones out for a walk every once and a while, keep them nimble.
🎼 ... "who let the cans out?..." 🎶

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #64,434 of 65,698
I've been looking into getting my first Grado and am hoping to get some guidance from you all. My use case for it would be as a portable option around the house when I don't feel like being tied to my desktop setup. I plan on getting the new FiiO KA11 dongle to pair with my iPhone. Obviously it's not going to be as good as something like a Cayin RU7, but I don't like having a heavy dongle hanging off my phone and just want something very convenient and pocket-able.

I want to experience that classic Grado crunch and clarity that many say works so well with rock and metal. I listen to a lot of guitar-focused indie rock, post-rock and post-metal, shoegaze, etc. (some good examples of bands I listen to in these genres are Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Amenra, Neurosis, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alcest, Deafheaven, Cult of Luna, Stiu Nu Stiu). I also love jazz which Grados are also supposed to be good for. I want something that will be complementary to, and a big departure from, the ZMF house sound of my Atticus and Verite, but I'm guessing pretty much any Grado will give me that.

So far I've been thinking either the SR325x, RS2x, or GH4 if I can find one. I know most would probably say the 325x is the safest pick for someone new to Grado, but I'm really drawn to the idea of getting something that has that classic Grado sound so I can get the full-on experience.

However, this is where I'm hoping to get some valuable insight. I'm anticipating finding F and L cushions very uncomfortable for longer listening, and in the case that I do end up finding them too uncomfortable to enjoy, I want to make sure whatever Grados I get will still sound good and retain the Grado house sound with one of the more conventionally comfortable pad options, namely the G cush, Nyczaj pads, or BA pads. Of the 325x, RS2x, and GH4, which of these would likely work best with any of the pads I mentioned? I've seen some people who are fans of the G cush on the 325x, but most seem to like the F cush best, and I imagine the Nyczaj or BA pads would add too much bass to the 325x and take away too much of the Grado house sound. Maybe the RS2x or GH4 would be a better choice for these types of pads? Are there any other Grados that would be worth looking into? I don't really want to go above $550. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #64,435 of 65,698
My diy Grado headphones I terminated in 4.4mm male.
I use a 4.4mm female > dual XLR extension cable when running from the XLR outputs on a Chord TT2.

I use a ddhifi 4.4mm female > 1/4 adapter for S/E from a Vali 2++.

I use 4.4mm female > 1/8 adapter pigtail cable from Mojo 2 and Vorzuge Pure ii+ a excellent amp but the way.

Just 4.4mm male into daps, dongles and AK PA10 amp a long with the IFI Go Blu.

If your going to get your Grados re terminated my I suggest going the 4.4mm route.
Its less cumbersome and a smaller connector.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #64,436 of 65,698
I've been looking into getting my first Grado and am hoping to get some guidance from you all. My use case for it would be as a portable option around the house when I don't feel like being tied to my desktop setup. I plan on getting the new FiiO KA11 dongle to pair with my iPhone. Obviously it's not going to be as good as something like a Cayin RU7, but I don't like having a heavy dongle hanging off my phone and just want something very convenient and pocket-able.

I want to experience that classic Grado crunch and clarity that many say works so well with rock and metal. I listen to a lot of guitar-focused indie rock, post-rock and post-metal, shoegaze, etc. (some good examples of bands I listen to in these genres are Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Amenra, Neurosis, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alcest, Deafheaven, Cult of Luna, Stiu Nu Stiu). I also love jazz which Grados are also supposed to be good for. I want something that will be complementary to, and a big departure from, the ZMF house sound of my Atticus and Verite, but I'm guessing pretty much any Grado will give me that.

So far I've been thinking either the SR325x, RS2x, or GH4 if I can find one. I know most would probably say the 325x is the safest pick for someone new to Grado, but I'm really drawn to the idea of getting something that has that classic Grado sound so I can get the full-on experience.

However, this is where I'm hoping to get some valuable insight. I'm anticipating finding F and L cushions very uncomfortable for longer listening, and in the case that I do end up finding them too uncomfortable to enjoy, I want to make sure whatever Grados I get will still sound good and retain the Grado house sound with one of the more conventionally comfortable pad options, namely the G cush, Nyczaj pads, or BA pads. Of the 325x, RS2x, and GH4, which of these would likely work best with any of the pads I mentioned? I've seen some people who are fans of the G cush on the 325x, but most seem to like the F cush best, and I imagine the Nyczaj or BA pads would add too much bass to the 325x and take away too much of the Grado house sound. Maybe the RS2x or GH4 would be a better choice for these types of pads? Are there any other Grados that would be worth looking into? I don't really want to go above $550. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Whichever grado you decide to purchase. I advise giving the stock pads a try before padrolling. I've had little satisfaction from padrolling. Some love oddball configurations. But I'd try both the L and the F ofc. Can't comment on aftermarket pads.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #64,437 of 65,698
Whichever grado you decide to purchase. I advise giving the stock pads a try before padrolling. I've had little satisfaction from padrolling. Some love oddball configurations. But I'd try both the L and the F ofc. Can't comment on aftermarket pads.
Yeah I'll definitely stick with stock pads if possible! I'd only get the other pads I mentioned if I ended up finding the stock pads unbearably uncomfortable. Since I wear glasses I'm anticipating that I'd find the L and F pads uncomfortable but hopefully that won't be the case

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #64,438 of 65,698
I never understood the use the of upgrading the Grado's to balanced as they are so easy to drive. Of course if you have a balanced amp then the balanced output is probably the highest quality output so I guess I answered my own question. :grin:

This is what I'm wondering. Changing my 1st gen T1s and 6XXs to 4pin XLR have resulted in massive improvements (the 6XXs almost sound like a different headphone).

I figure when I do replace the RS2x cable (in no rush rn), I might as well terminate with TRRS so I can use that output on my portable DAC, then have adapters for 4pin XLR or TRS. The balanced output on my SPL Phonitor e is clearly better than the 1/4" (I purchased it specifically to drive my T1s). You can step down from balanced but not vice versa. Also, the 4.4mm TRRS is a little more robust than a 3.5mm TRS.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #64,439 of 65,698

The SR325x is far better for guitar 🎸 than the RS2x.

I also think try the freaking stock pads PROPERLY... Don't put them on top of your outer ear 👂

Position the top of the pad below the top of your ear👂

Much more comfortable and sounds better. I wear reading glasses and I'm good for a couple of hours this way.

To my ears the 325x rocks with f-pad

RS2x L-pad fits over my ears and I am good for 4 hours with reading glasses.

RS2x best with vocals and jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back