Grado Fan Club!
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #64,441 of 65,692
The SR325x is far better for guitar 🎸 than the RS2x.

I also think try the freaking stock pads PROPERLY... Don't put them on top of your outer ear 👂

Position the top of the pad below the top of your ear👂

Much more comfortable and sounds better. I wear reading glasses and I'm good for a couple of hours this way.

To my ears the 325x rocks with f-pad

RS2x L-pad fits over my ears and I am good for 4 hours with reading glasses.

RS2x best with vocals and jazz.
I agree 100%. Fine tuning pad placement on your ears can make all the difference, once done improving both comfort AND sonic performance.

Very important with many different headphones and definitely including Grados. It is well worth your effort & time to do so.

Viva la difference!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #64,442 of 65,692

I also think try the freaking stock pads PROPERLY... Don't put them on top of your outer ear 👂

Position the top of the pad below the top of your ear👂

Much more comfortable and sounds better. I wear reading glasses and I'm good for a couple of hours this way.

To my ears the 325x rocks with f-pad

RS2x L-pad fits over my ears and I am good for 4 hours with reading glasses.

RS2x best with vocals and jazz.
I don't own the RS2x. But I just thought I'd add some input here from my experience with the RS1X because I'm assuming they are fairly similar. I find them to be quite good at rock and metal, but different than my 325i. A more intimate sound can make metal seem more engaging, but I'd say the wider more back seat staging shows metal in another light. I often find guitar to sound far more "3d" and weighty, even if it is less in your face. It's actually made me appreciate a lot more recordings that I previously took for granted. Even death metal sounds far more refined and articulate in many cases. Just my 2 cents!

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #64,443 of 65,692
So far I've been thinking either the SR325x, RS2x, or GH4 if I can find one. I know most would probably say the 325x is the safest pick for someone new to Grado, but I'm really drawn to the idea of getting something that has that classic Grado sound so I can get the full-on experience.

Honestly, I'll go for a used SR80e. So cheap and very crunchy mids.

I don't know if I could appreciate the higher models and what they do if not coming from the 80e.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #64,444 of 65,692

This seems a bit generalized considering the vast catalogue of music that includes a guitar, along with personal preferences. :relaxed:

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #64,445 of 65,692
I don't own the RS2x. But I just thought I'd add some input here from my experience with the RS1X because I'm assuming they are fairly similar. I find them to be quite good at rock and metal, but different than my 325i. A more intimate sound can make metal seem more engaging, but I'd say the wider more back seat staging shows metal in another light. I often find guitar to sound far more "3d" and weighty, even if it is less in your face. It's actually made me appreciate a lot more recordings that I previously took for granted. Even death metal sounds far more refined and articulate in many cases. Just my 2 cents!

I agree, both 325x and RS2x are great for metal, but in a different way. I listening a lot of indie rock that @dbull12 listed here. 325x meatier, thick sound. RS2x precise, fast and articulate. But I took a long time to appreciate and understand what the RS2x do. The 325x is great in the first second. But the 80e, my first experience, was love and amazement from the first time and for a very long time. :)

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #64,446 of 65,692
.... Even death metal sounds far more refined and articulate in many cases. Just my 2 cents!
.... Truly a Head-Fi(er) appraisal !! .... where else could one read this? .... 🤔😀.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #64,448 of 65,692
.... Truly a Head-Fi(er) appraisal !! .... where else could one read this? .... 🤔😀.
First you're gonna have to find some more metal head audiophiles. We are a rare breed.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #64,451 of 65,692
Feb 24, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #64,452 of 65,692
Honestly, I'll go for a used SR80e. So cheap and very crunchy mids.

I don't know if I could appreciate the higher models and what they do if not coming from the 80e.
I've started looking at the 80x since I'd prefer to buy new and was thinking maybe the lighter weight and thinner cable of the 80x might make sense vs the 325x since it'll just be used with my phone and an inexpensive dongle.

I see in some of your previous posts you mentioned that the 80e is crunchier while the 80x is clearer and airier. Would you say the 80x is also much less crunchy in the mids than the 325x? If the 80x still retains a lot of the house sound in the mids and highs then it seems like it could be a good option for me to try.

Just grabbed the new PS500x limited edition! Looks like there are around 10 left on the Grado website!
Also just pulled the trigger on these out of FOMO but then decided it would probably be irresponsible as my first Grado. Unless...

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #64,453 of 65,692
Just grabbed the new PS500x limited edition! Looks like there are around 10 left on the Grado website!
Damn! $815! By the time I get it, it would be $1,500 cdn...

Enjoy, I'm sure they will be awesome 😎

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #64,455 of 65,692
I've started looking at the 80x since I'd prefer to buy new and was thinking maybe the lighter weight and thinner cable of the 80x might make sense vs the 325x since it'll just be used with my phone and an inexpensive dongle.

I see in some of your previous posts you mentioned that the 80e is crunchier while the 80x is clearer and airier. Would you say the 80x is also much less crunchy in the mids than the 325x? If the 80x still retains a lot of the house sound in the mids and highs then it seems like it could be a good option for me to try.

I think the 80x retains more of the house sound than the 325x.

The mids on the 80x is still super crunchy, it is just a little less than the 80e. But it's more refined, no dout. I enjoy both, the 80e has a dirty sound.

The 325x is still very Grado and very impressive, but it was consider a little departure from the classic house sound, since it's very balanced.

You can't go wrong, actually. But the 80x is very cheap and you can get a lot with it. And if it clicks, you will end up having more than one and loving all. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back