Grado Fan Club!
Nov 26, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #63,286 of 65,604
IMG_1990.jpeg

Got rid of that 6,3mm jack and replaced it with 3,5mm, so no more need for the adapter which as it turns out eats some of the sound quality. Now the RS1 sounds even better than before. Yes, it's really noticeable.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #63,289 of 65,604
I think that explains it. Asgard3 has an output impedance of 0.2, which is really low for pairing with the 300 ohm Verite, and would be a better match for Grados.
I will explain, i have Valhalla 2 and Asgard3,the Asgard 3 with grado rs1x i preferred to Zmf verite open on Valhalla.
Probably just me

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #63,290 of 65,604
I will explain, i have Valhalla 2 and Asgard3,the Asgard 3 with grado rs1x i preferred to Zmf verite open on Valhalla.
Probably just me
Your ears are all that matters

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #63,291 of 65,604
Hello friends,

Can someone advise a good Amp that works well with our Grado HP? No tubes please. I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 and despite liking the sound, the background noise sort of bothers me. Already changed tubes, better with original tubes but still there. Also not a big fan of the original tubes sound.

I was thinking something like a Rebel or Gilmore amp. Any other thoughts?

I usually tend to a more organic, even warmer, sound.

Cheers.

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #63,292 of 65,604
Hello friends,

Can someone advise a good Amp that works well with our Grado HP? No tubes please. I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 and despite liking the sound, the background noise sort of bothers me. Already changed tubes, better with original tubes but still there. Also not a big fan of the original tubes sound.

Cheers.
Solid state with warmer sound lets me think of Violectric / Lake People

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #63,293 of 65,604
Thank you for the answer. Indeed, but a good Violectric “older” model with those characteristics are expensive for me. A V281 or even a V280 / V220 costs more than I'm willing to spend. Also the newer models seem to be more on the neutral sound.

500€ used, is my top budget. That is why I referred the Rebel and Gilmore.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #63,294 of 65,604
Thank you for the answer. Indeed, but a good Violectric “older” model with those characteristics are expensive for me. A V281 or even a V280 / V220 costs more than I'm willing to spend. Also the newer models seem to be more on the neutral sound.

500€ used, is my top budget. That is why I referred the Rebel and Gilmore.

Cheers.
The Violectric V202 is warm sounding. Just auditioned it at CanJam Dallas recently and was very impressed, especially with its meaty bass.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #63,295 of 65,604
The Violectric V202 is warm sounding. Just auditioned it at CanJam Dallas recently and was very impressed, especially with its meaty bass.
Ok, nice to learn. I swear that I had the impression that the new line was more neutral, compared to older models but maybe it is just so that is less warmer.

Still, not many used around and price, unfortunately, still above my budget. As a Violectric amp, my best bet is an older V200.

Thank you and cheers.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #63,296 of 65,604
Ok, nice to learn. I swear that I had the impression that the new line was more neutral, compared to older models but maybe it is just so that is less warmer.

Still, not many used around and price, unfortunately, still above my budget. As a Violectric amp, my best bet is an older V200.

Thank you and cheers.
You might also want to take a look at the Lake People models, their more studio oriented amp line. Once owned some G109 I think and remember it as also having a warmer touch, though maybe less so then the older Violectric models. Same guy behind those… Fried Reim

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #63,297 of 65,604

Hello friends,

Cheers.
You can make the Chord Mojo 2 sound as bright or warm as you like ... within reason

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #63,298 of 65,604
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I'm still not sure about the way to go. I fear that, within the price range, I may get disappointed as I honestly believe that the sound this Schiit combo produces, especially with the tubes I'm using, is brilliant for the price range.

I love the Valhalla, it is just that noisy background that irritates me sometimes. I already changed from high to low gain, and it improves a lot, but still there. I guess it may be something common with tube amps. My former Rupert RNHP amp was dead silent. Lovely sound but a little to neutral and transparent for my taste.

Listening now to the RS1with this combo and it is just so my cup of tea. I´m curious about the PS500 for a little more bass thrown into the equation. Maybe I should direct my budget into Grado, surely a smarter move for sure! :L3000:

Cheers.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #63,299 of 65,604
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I'm still not sure about the way to go. I fear that, within the price range, I may get disappointed as I honestly believe that the sound this Schiit combo produces, especially with the tubes I'm using, is brilliant for the price range.

I love the Valhalla, it is just that noisy background that irritates me sometimes. I already changed from high to low gain, and it improves a lot, but still there. I guess it may be something common with tube amps. My former Rupert RNHP amp was dead silent. Lovely sound but a little to neutral and transparent for my taste.

Listening now to the RS1with this combo and it is just so my cup of tea. I´m curious about the PS500 for a little more bass thrown into the equation. Maybe I should direct my budget into Grado, surely a smarter move for sure! :L3000:

Cheers.
Any decent class-A solid state amp ought to be fine with Grados.

I've enjoyed:
- Asgard 3
- RNHA (Fidelice version)
- Oppo HA-1
- Rebel

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #63,300 of 65,604

Cheers.
My Valhalla 2 is dead quiet, but just recently it got noisy. I then realized that I had put on high gain. High gain off, noise off. :smile:

Might also be a tube thing.

I am running the Valhalla 2 through a full John Coltrane collection and it is Wonderful!

Although I am not using a Grado headphone, so I will just leave by the side door quietly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back