Grado Fan Club!
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #63,242 of 65,637
I'm 58, my hearing probably not what it is but I love the Beautiful Audio and Nyczaj pads , lovely to use and barely rough the Grado magic , I alternate between then and stick. Got a cupboard full of others
A man after my own heart. I like the BA's on GH2's and Shipibo'scon the Hemp's.

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #63,243 of 65,637
Hemp v. RS1x
To me, Hemp sound is fun, jaunty, rhythmic and true to the music spirit. Hemp is warm, notably in the bass/midbass. This is not overdone, it is quite pleasing. Hemp reminds me of the ZMF Atticus in this respect. The Hemp midrange, treble, and soundstage are clear, have dimensionality, maybe lack that ‘nth’ bit of detail.
• RS1x is rhythmic and true with rather greater atmosphere, detail, spatiality. RS1x has deeper, slightly leaner bass/midbass and cannot be deemed anemic in this regard. RS1x overall reminds me of the ZMF Auteur.
• I own both Hemp and RS1x. Why? To me, they are complementary: similar but not to be confused with the other. I prefer Hemp over RS1x on various recordings (CDs); on other recordings (CDs), RS1x over Hemp. I do not use ‘electronic’ EQ; headphones are my EQ (and ‘room correction’).

RS1x v. GS3000e
• See post #50,136 on page 3343 of this thread.
Sorry to revive an older post, but I'm still learning about Grado headphones. I'm so glad to have search this forum for Hemp vs. RS1x. I recently added both to my headphone stable.

I hate to admit it here, but I've avoided Grado headphones for many years after giving a listen to some model of the 500. I just didn't understand the wide nuances/spectrum of Grado sound back then, and really didn't give the brand a fair chance. That is on me, and I paid the price of getting to enjoy the Grado line-up for too, too long!

So today I started switching up listening sessions, with the same songs, between my RS1x and Hemps. I think Jonathan C is right on regarding these two Grado headphones. It occurs to me that headphone comparisons are a bit like wine tasting. It helps if you have some guidance while you are imbibing to fully understand what you are experiencing. Maybe some of us are born with this ability. For me the good folk in these forums help me get the most out of my headphone listening experiences.

So in the end, I'm glad I got the Hemps first and then shortly thereafter added the RS1x. The Hemps sucked me in, and the RS1x made me even better understand Grado headphones.

IMG_1458.jpeg

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #63,244 of 65,637
Sorry to revive an older post, but I'm still learning about Grado headphones. I'm so glad to have search this forum for Hemp vs. RS1x. I recently added both to my headphone stable.

I hate to admit it here, but I've avoided Grado headphones for many years after giving a listen to some model of the 500. I just didn't understand the wide nuances/spectrum of Grado sound back then, and really didn't give the brand a fair chance. That is on me, and I paid the price of getting to enjoy the Grado line-up for too, too long!

So today I started switching up listening sessions, with the same songs, between my RS1x and Hemps. I think Jonathan C is right on regarding these two Grado headphones. It occurs to me that headphone comparisons are a bit like wine tasting. It helps if you have some guidance while you are imbibing to fully understand what you are experiencing. Maybe some of us are born with this ability. For me the good folk in these forums help me get the most out of my headphone listening experiences.

So in the end, I'm glad I got the Hemps first and then shortly thereafter added the RS1x. The Hemps sucked me in, and the RS1x made me even better understand Grado headphones.

They do vary quite a bit. I started off with the SR325e's. While I liked them, they were a little to bright for me. I then tried the PS500e's and Really disliked them. I found that ALL the brightness was gone and there was no fun left behind.

I decided to try again and bought blind, online. The GH2's certainly looked very pretty. Thankfully, they sounded as good as they looked and form the foundation for my collection. :heart_eyes:

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #63,245 of 65,637

This is a worthwhile idea. The journey upward through the Grado lineup is unique as each tier seems to have headphones that are not just different but in many ways polarizing.

You don't meet many folks who feel passionate about the SR series, at least not until the 325. Most agree and enjoy the 60s, 80s, 225s, etc. Once you get into the PS500 and RS series, there's a bit more passion - guys love 'em or hate 'em. And in my experience at least, it's the same up until the GS and PS1k/PS2k range as well.

I think the guidance you reference bodes well especially for those willing to pony up for the big boys.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #63,247 of 65,637

IMG_1458.jpeg
I agree - in addition to the RS1x and the Hemps, I also have the GH2, and it sounds somewhere in between - to my ears :innocent: From your photo, it appears that you are using the G-pads on both. I use different pads (F or L) on the various HPs. This adds yet another dimension/flavour.....

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #63,248 of 65,637
"Review" of the SR80x after 150 hours of "burn in"

As mentioned before it sounded quite mundane like a Sony at the beginning. Not bad per se but nothing really special with some hints of Grado.

Now after 150 hours things have improved considerably. It can be used with S pads or L pads. Not surprisingly the S pads give a little more bass which sounds slightly unclean/bloated and less treble. With L pads the treble has the Grado signature but bass is leaner but still strong enough.

For the price the SR80x are pretty great, comparable to the SR60e and SR80e although i remember those sounded a little more special/endearing. That is because of the bloated bass of the 80x i guess. Compared to my SR325e they sound quite similar with a little less bass volume and are overall slightly less detailed/precise. But that's to be expected.

Overall the SR80x did nothing better than any of my other Grados (look in my signature). They are a good starting point if you want to dip into the Grado sound for little money.

If you have the money and you can find one get a GH2 or RS1 button. Those still stood out in my tests today. The GH2 has an instant feel good sound and the RS1 button is the only Grado i know that does well at bass, mids and treble.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #63,249 of 65,637
Last night, unfortunately, the right driver on my beloved GS1000i failed. There doesn't seem to be a loose connection on the cable.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for this and whether this is a common problem with the GS1000i?

Thanks and best regards

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #63,250 of 65,637
Last night, unfortunately, the right driver on my beloved GS1000i failed. There doesn't seem to be a loose connection on the cable.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for this and whether this is a common problem with the GS1000i?

Thanks and best regards
Not good . Reckon it's a good idea to check the easy things first. Like the cable , and if you're using any 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapters. Assume you have tried other headphones into the source end. So you can't see anything inside the driver holding then. Loose, dirt, etc ....hope you find problem quick.

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #63,251 of 65,637
Hi, I need to change my hemp driver that at the moment are using with sr60x drivers. Here in Italy the grado hemp costs about 700€, and the official retailer offer me to buy a pair of driver hemp for 270€. Now I can buy a sr325x for 180€ and use these drivers in the hemp, make sense? Some people say that these headphones share the drivers

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #63,252 of 65,637
Not good . Reckon it's a good idea to check the easy things first. Like the cable , and if you're using any 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapters. Assume you have tried other headphones into the source end. So you can't see anything inside the driver holding then. Loose, dirt, etc ....hope you find problem quick.
Thank you, the cable is fine and so is the source. Nothing conspicuous can be seen on the driver grille. The only thing left to do is the Grado service and a driver replacement.

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #63,254 of 65,637
Hi all,
So ive been through Audeze Lcd5, Zmf top lines twice, yes expensive journey.
So im very impressed with Rs1x, and now im wanting a second Grado.
So, I'm asking should I go Rs1e or Rs2x to complement?
All help appreciated
The RS2x is a great all rounder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back