Grado Fan Club!
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #62,506 of 65,841
So, today was the day... I picked up the GS3000x. The wood does look beautiful... but unfortunately it seems to have a bad left driver: not completely dead, but some frequencies seem very quiet, resulting in stereo mid moved to the right, esp. voices. Just checked with my GH2 to make sure its not the source material or the electronics, but the problem is there directly from my iPhone (where I checked with a frequency generator), my iPod as well as my Hugo. Hm. Not quite what I expected at this price. Also not nice: there's a mark in the wood on the right cup.

Not a state to do any judgments, yet... sound is... just so so. Might get used to it, but atm it seems quite likely I'll sell it soon after sorting this problem out. Part of this might be the frustration of receiving a malfunctioning unit, and hearing it correctly it might have been off to a better start. Yet it won't get any lighter, and despite the larger headband with even some cushioning I do feel its weight -- this is quite unexpected, but not catastrophic.

IMG_1245.jpegIMG_1258.jpegIMG_1259.jpeg
And those are supposed to be their statement series. What statement did they make?

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #62,507 of 65,841
… getting ready for a little night music
EECA7EF0-0A77-47B7-AC0F-BFFE4E3E01A5.jpeg
[not the Stephen Sondheim musical, as good as that is …]

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #62,508 of 65,841
With the sound that this pairing conveys, I should be mulling multiple FS transactions in the Head-Fi classified adverts … C8729779-3673-4E40-8B2A-0E93724EEF7E.jpegbut Head-Fiers and rationality seldom cross paths … 🎼 😀 🤪 🎶
AND maturity is way over rated…….,

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #62,511 of 65,841
First impressions are difficult to overcome.
Yes, this is absolutely a problem... it was not a clear positive decision anyway, with those owning one remaining suspiciously silent upon my requests, and me liking the GH2 so much, I maybe had unrealistic expectations. Seeing them crushed that hard may be a bit too much to ever like the GS3000x.
They are beautiful! But for that kind of money, I want perfect. They would be going back immediately for me. But I would want a replacement set ASAP. :grin:
I was just given the Grado reps official first aid procedure... will try later. If that doesn't help, I'll have to send it in. Lets see what happens then... but, as outlined above, I think it will be looking for a new owner once this is sorted out.
And those are supposed to be their statement series. What statement did they make?
Very good question... I'd say, the statement was indifference towards their TOTL product. Which, again, raises the question how that driver matching to 0.05dB actually works... it it were to use many different frequencies I can hardly imagine that process not catching a defective driver. Plus they seem to not do a final check. Or did something happen on the way to me? But why would it impact only one driver then?

Lets see how this works out...

Matching physical appearance, though to balance all out this is the right cup:
IMG_1267.jpeg

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #62,513 of 65,841
Yes, this is absolutely a problem... it was not a clear positive decision anyway, with those owning one remaining suspiciously silent upon my requests, and me liking the GH2 so much, I maybe had unrealistic expectations. Seeing them crushed that hard may be a bit too much to ever like the GS3000x.

I was just given the Grado reps official first aid procedure... will try later. If that doesn't help, I'll have to send it in. Lets see what happens then... but, as outlined above, I think it will be looking for a new owner once this is sorted out.

Very good question... I'd say, the statement was indifference towards their TOTL product. Which, again, raises the question how that driver matching to 0.05dB actually works... it it were to use many different frequencies I can hardly imagine that process not catching a defective driver. Plus they seem to not do a final check. Or did something happen on the way to me? But why would it impact only one driver then?

Lets see how this works out...

Matching physical appearance, though to balance all out this is the right cup:
IMG_1267.jpeg
Could be wrong, but the imperfection on the left looks to me like the cup cracked here after some drying later on. The imperfection on the right wouldn`t bother me personally.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #62,514 of 65,841
Sometimes I get the feeling they sell you a used set of grados. Used for demo's.

Yesterday I was in a store where they had the Grado White, GH4 and the GH2 laying around for years.
That may happen, but in my case this was a unit delivered from the distributor. What they did with it — I don’t know. Yet I don’t think it’s a used/demo unit

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #62,515 of 65,841
Could be wrong, but the imperfection on the left looks to me like the cup cracked here after some drying later on. The imperfection on the right wouldn`t bother me personally.
I don’t see anything bothersome on the left cup… the marks on the right bother me primarily in respect of resale value

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #62,516 of 65,841
I don’t see anything bothersome on the left cup… the marks on the right bother me primarily in respect of resale value
Sorry, i meant the two marked spots on the right cup. Did you already send them an e-mail or even got contact with the shop you´ve bought it from?

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #62,517 of 65,841
Sorry, i meant the two marked spots on the right cup. Did you already send them an e-mail or even got contact with the shop you´ve bought it from?
Yes, of course. I know the shop owner for quite some time, and I'm sure he'll do his best.
He also heard that slight imbalance -- fortunately I unpacked it in the shop for a first test.

The first aid procedure recommended by the distributor did not help unfortunately. So I guess it'll be on its way back next week. I'm not in a hurry, since, honestly, I'm not that intrigued. Much prefer my GH2 for overall tonal balance. And that cable... how can they even work with it when assembling the headphones?

I'm letting them play in the background, maybe its still some kind of dirt that might get loose over time. Too bad, the wood looks *really* good. But I don't want to keep them just for display :wink:

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #62,518 of 65,841
Horror stories like this for top of the line headphones.. were they sealed in the box? I would return them right away if they were not sealed not even test them out if it were me. I’m thinking 60x or 80x next week.. the only difference between the two models is the 80x has destressed drivers. Which I imagine is just a de-magnitation sweep or two and a little burn in process.. I could manually do it here and get the 60x and do lt own destressing,

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #62,519 of 65,841
Horror stories like this for top of the line headphones.. were they sealed in the box? I would return them right away if they were not sealed not even test them out if it were me. I’m thinking 60x or 80x next week.. the only difference between the two models is the 80x has destressed drivers. Which I imagine is just a de-magnitation sweep or two and a little burn in process.. I could manually do it here and get the 60x and do lt own destressing,
It's a bit of a worst case scenario, yes.
I don't think the Statement Series boxes are sealed -- but its the first GS I opened, maybe someone can fill me in on this? There's a magnetized flap on one long side that simply opens the box. I don't see any seal and I did not break any seal opening them.

But as I said above, its not a major problem. I'm sure we'll be able to sort that out and I'll sure find someone who likes them. The natural risk of buying blind -- and it goes to show that reviews don't help :wink:

Maybe I'll go with the RS2x with G-pads instead, that sounded quite nice when I last tried it out. Or I leave it at Hemp + GH2.

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #62,520 of 65,841
It's a bit of a worst case scenario, yes.
I don't think the Statement Series boxes are sealed -- but its the first GS I opened, maybe someone can fill me in on this? There's a magnetized flap on one long side that simply opens the box. I don't see any seal and I did not break any seal opening them.

But as I said above, its not a major problem. I'm sure we'll be able to sort that out and I'll sure find someone who likes them. The natural risk of buying blind -- and it goes to show that reviews don't help :wink:

Maybe I'll go with the RS2x with G-pads instead, that sounded quite nice when I last tried it out. Or I leave it at Hemp + GH2.
You know what I think you might be right about that. Now that I think about it I don’t think my big Rs1-e box had any seal on it. Dang man if I were you I would explain the situation with your dealer and see if you can get your money back and use that on a pair you would be more comfortable with. + if you got rs2x and g pads you would have a ton of money leftover for music, accessories, tweaks or food or whatever else..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back