Grado Fan Club!
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #62,071 of 65,787
I'm so sorry for your horrible experience, not the usual one.

I do take issue that the SR80's give almost the same experience as the GS3000x though.
I read all the time about how the SR60's and SR80's give almost the same experience as the
high end ones.

I was amazed how huge a jump it was to go from the SR80e to the SR225e. Nothing
subtle about it, I'd say that for me the SR225e is worth the price. Once I had them
I no longer used the SR80e's, gave them away.

The difference from the SR225e to the GR10e is for me also a very large
jump. I would say that for me the GR10e's
are close enough to the GS1000i's refinement and overall musicality that if
I hadn't already bought the GS years earlier I might have
been happy with the GR10e's. Then again, IEM's are great but I appreciate
the comfort of over the ears, as opposed to in-ears. I love all three Grado's,
but think that perhaps the very best value in the Grado line for my use
are the GR10e's. If I had to keep just one pair, they would be it.
I hope they still have them in stock next couple of months I have a perfect player picked out for them. I miss mine. Have some alternate slightly larger silicone tips picked out for them I think it will work out for me fine this time. Sound was great though. Fit didn’t work it for me with stock tips.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #62,073 of 65,787
Oppo PM3 and PM1 incoming gonna give those a go. Had the sennheiser 660s2 before buying the GS3000x. listening balanced with the ifi diablo, they were ok. However when lots of instruments came in they felt very busy and crowded. The GS3000x was miles better than the 660s2. Instrument separation was great. I long for more bass impact though.
Your opinions on Grado are kind of all over the place right now.. all I can say is burn those in ears for a LONG time not just overnight. Yours haven’t been fed audio through them in many years.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #62,074 of 65,787
With a well-engineered DAC, especially the R2R type, and a robust CD transport, there is musically plausible sound to be had from the 16/44.1 disc 😀 !!
Is there no one else plugging the players coaxial SPDIF to the Mojo?
I do, cause the Mojo is unbelievable with 16/44.1 LPCM.
If I am able to pry the Apollo from the wifes or eldest sons fingers. The Apollo itself is great to me.
But with this small black cigarette pack added… wow!
I couldn’t think of the Mojo2, Hugo2, Qutest,… doing a less good job on this.

You guys are inspiring. Where have I put the GH3…?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #62,075 of 65,787
I remember buying the SR80e at a store when I was 19. Completely blew my mind. Springsteen never felt so natural and alive. I've tried just about every grado there is apart from the ps2000e and the hemp. PS500e and the GH2 are my absolute favourites but you've got to ask yourself if they're worth all that extra money? I could certainly live with the 80e but now knowing they're from a company who know they're charging massive prices for incremental upgrades? Even Sennheiser doesn't do that, you know what you're getting. Used to be proud to be a Grado owner, not now though. Never had the same epiphany with subsequent models than what I had with the SR80e. The SR80 is the drug that gets you hooked.

My experience over the last few days with the GR8 and the GR8e really does tell me that Grado must know they sell sub par products at high prices.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #62,077 of 65,787
Awaiting something special in the mail.. you can get killer deals on Classical music cd box sets brand new.
Same with Jazz collections. Ridiculously cheap and almost irresistible to me. :relaxed:

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #62,078 of 65,787
Your opinions on Grado are kind of all over the place right now.. all I can say is burn those in ears for a LONG time not just overnight. Yours haven’t been fed audio through them in many

Your opinions on Grado are kind of all over the place right now.. all I can say is burn those in ears for a LONG time not just overnight. Yours haven’t been fed audio through them in many yea

Your opinions on Grado are kind of all over the place right now.. all I can say is burn those in ears for a LONG time not just overnight. Yours haven’t been fed audio through them in many years.
Should that matter if they haven't had audio for many years? My opinions aren't all over the place, I'll give credit where credits due. Grado GS3000x are better than the 660s2. In my opinion the SR80 is better than the 660s2. Should the GS3000x cost £2000 more than the SR80x? No.

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #62,079 of 65,787
That reminds me I was going to ask if you could change your name on here. This username is ancient for me and means nothing really..
?? 🤔 - - - -> high praise, indeed! 🤪👍

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #62,081 of 65,787
Oh my, thank you !!

Aug 6, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #62,082 of 65,787
Same with Jazz collections. Ridiculously cheap and almost irresistible to me. :relaxed:
Jazz was my favorite music to listen to on rs1e. I learned so much about it with that headphone. I found it far better for jazz than hemp, hence my only real complaint with the hemp. This may change when I get my new gear next two months.

Aug 6, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #62,085 of 65,787
Jazz was my favorite music to listen to on rs1e. I learned so much about it with that headphone. I found it far better for jazz than hemp**, hence my only real complaint with the hemp. This may change when I get my new gear next two months.
** I haven’t categorised Hemp as good for ‘xxx’ music or RS1x as good for ‘yyy’ music. Depending on the recording and its sonic attributes, I may prefer Hemp or RS1x. 🤷🏻‍♂️

EDIT: This notion is generally true, for me, for any headphone comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back