Grado Fan Club!
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #62,041 of 66,254
My SR80s died - intermittent sound from the left side. I looked in to repairing them myself. I looked at a couple of videos and started... but the yoke broke (I'm a poet and didn't know it) rendering them even more...broken. They lasted a good while (six or seven years I think). I don't know whether to get another pair or not...What's the build quality like these days?

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #62,042 of 66,254
My SR80s died - intermittent sound from the left side. I looked in to repairing them myself. I looked at a couple of videos and started... but the yoke broke (I'm a poet and didn't know it) rendering them even more...broken. They lasted a good while (six or seven years I think). I don't know whether to get another pair or not...What's the build quality like these days?
Aftermarket wooden cups and recable them 👍

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #62,043 of 66,254
Aug 6, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #62,044 of 66,254
Bought a new phone without a 3.5mm jack, so I need a usb-c to 3.5mm dongle. Any suggestions for a good portable solution?
I’m an iPhone user always have been, but if you are looking for a decent Dac with headphone dongle I would just get something affordable at least for Grados. They are so easy to drive. If you do not listen to a lot of music and you are willing to sacrifice battery life there are many options too. With possibly more talented dacs I’m sure. I think audioquest dragonfly is a good start, but it’s kind of been on the market for a while. Cayin has a newer model out called the RU6.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #62,046 of 66,254
Aug 6, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #62,048 of 66,254
The FiiO units are small and Smaller.

IMG_20230806_175606488~2.jpg

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #62,050 of 66,254
The Fido looks pretty sleek but I like the jade that’s pertty.
I like the KA5 for all the button functions and having two cable input options (3.5mm/4.4mm).
But that KA1 is tiny.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #62,053 of 66,254
Unfortunately, I'm now stepping away from Grado products. Bought the original GR8 new and sealed. Cable buzzing, bass falls apart with R&B tracks. High distortion. Thought it might've been a faulty unit. Tried from multiple sources. Bought the GR8e, arrived today. Exactly the same thing. Both from overseas vendors. £600 down the drain. Contacted Grado for an explanation and to express my disappointment, no reply. Severely gutted. And in all truth, you get 90% of the sound from the SR80 as you would say the GS3000x. Tiny, incremental upgrades that really aren't worth the exorbitant jump in price. I'd advise people to keep their money in their pockets and not to upgrade. Stay happy with the SR80 or move to a company with a decent R&D department if you want to spend a lot. The different designs, shapes, materials etc don't make a damn difference. It's just new. Much like the general public flocking for the latest iPhones every year, that's what attracts us. It's all snake oil. I think the *no marketing* strategy is excellent. Like Rolex, we think they must be better because they don't need to advertise. The SR80s to an audiophile is like crack to an addict. You like the high but you get used to it and then you're told there's a bigger high to be had, spend more money thinking you're gonna get a better high but actually in reality it's still just the same crack in a different shape and colour.

The KPH40 for the fraction of the price of the SR80 still astounds me. One of the best price to performance... Screw it. One of the best headphones I've heard in my life.

Before anyone argues, I'm not a hater. I really wanted to love this independently owned family run business with a rich history who hand makes their headphones, especially now in a world overrun with corporations and conglomerates. I love the GH2. But is it worth £400 more than the SR80? Hell no. Wish I never bought the SR80e seven years ago recommended by a store clerk at Richer Sounds. How much money I would've saved through the years. I like Grado, really. But their higher end products really aren't and never will be worth their asking prices.

Bye guys. You've all been very fun, interesting and friendly!

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #62,054 of 66,254
Unfortunately, I'm now stepping away from Grado products. Bought the original GR8 new and sealed. Cable buzzing, bass falls apart with R&B tracks. High distortion. Thought it might've been a faulty unit. Tried from multiple sources. Bought the GR8e, arrived today. Exactly the same thing. Both from overseas vendors. £600 down the drain. Contacted Grado for an explanation and to express my disappointment, no reply. Severely gutted. And in all truth, you get 90% of the sound from the SR80 as you would say the GS3000x. Tiny, incremental upgrades that really aren't worth the exorbitant jump in price. I'd advise people to keep their money in their pockets and not to upgrade. Stay happy with the SR80 or move to a company with a decent R&D department if you want to spend a lot. The different designs, shapes, materials etc don't make a damn difference. It's just new. Much like the general public flocking for the latest iPhones every year, that's what attracts us. It's all snake oil. I think the *no marketing* strategy is excellent. Like Rolex, we think they must be better because they don't need to advertise. The SR80s to an audiophile is like crack to an addict. You like the high but you get used to it and then you're told there's a bigger high to be had, spend more money thinking you're gonna get a better high but actually in reality it's still just the same crack in a different shape and colour.

The KPH40 for the fraction of the price of the SR80 still astounds me. One of the best price to performance... Screw it. One of the best headphones I've heard in my life.

Before anyone argues, I'm not a hater. I really wanted to love this independently owned family run business with a rich history who hand makes their headphones, especially now in a world overrun with corporations and conglomerates. I love the GH2. But is it worth £400 more than the SR80? Hell no. Wish I never bought the SR80e seven years ago recommended by a store clerk at Richer Sounds. How much money I would've saved through the years. I like Grado, really. But their higher end products really aren't and never will be worth their asking prices.

Bye guys. You've all been very fun, interesting and friendly!
Let us know if you ever wanna join the sr80 party again. We would welcome you back. Enjoy those kph40!

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #62,055 of 66,254
Let us know if you ever wanna join the sr80 party again. We would welcome you back. Enjoy those kph40!
Yeah do keep in mind as well that it can take up to a week or more of listening for those Grado buds to start breaking in. My 10e’s sounded pretty bad out of the box for a while. Then zham! It was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back