Grado Fan Club!
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #61,067 of 65,841
Small or large….any difference?
I think mine are the smalls. Back when I bought them, he only had one size.
I had to stretch them a bit to fit on the Hemp's.

According to his site, the large are for 'phones that use G-Cush pads, but can also be used with 'phones that use the L-Cush pads.

There is lots of info on his page:
https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands

To me, these are awesome and worth every penny. There are also people here that have been much less impressed than me, so the sound depends on the user.
The usual YMMV applies. :relaxed:

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #61,068 of 65,841
That's my experience, too. The GH2s are the Grados that sound great with anything. Even with the iPad headphone out.

If you want a no hassle Grado get the GH2.

Actually, I can say the same about the 60e, SR325x, and RS2x...

Grabbing the RS2x to listen to voice focused recordings or attend a meeting is second nature to me now.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #61,069 of 65,841
Actually, I can say the same about the 60e, SR325x, and RS2x...

Grabbing the RS2x to listen to voice focused recordings or attend a meeting*** is second nature to me now.
*** and you don’t get ‘canned’ ?! 🤔🤣🤪

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #61,070 of 65,841
Well y'all, I wound up purchasing some hifiman sundara after testing them at the store. I really enjoyed their resolution and I got them for 250 off. They sound great! But in the end, after listening to em a bunch, I like my grado 325x the most. The sundara are wider, and probably more detailed, but the 325x have some incredible slam and detail that I don't know how to describe. They sound very live, it's like sitting in a concert hall with the musicians when listening to them. Somehow this little company in Brooklyn is the goat even still. Keep it up grado.

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #61,071 of 65,841
OK I've searched and read various reviews and comparisons of the X series, Hemp, etc. and I still don't know which to get.

I had the Hemp previously and sold it. I found that despite loving them, for lounging around I grabbed the portapros (on clips instead of headband) and for serious listening I still grabbed my trusty R70x. I liked the Hemps because they sounded like a much better version of the portapros: lively, that sound you get from a dynamic driver pushing air. Something I wish my R70x did, but I can listen to the R70x all day long so they stay.

Well, no idea what's going on but I keep having issues with my portapros. I'm on my third pair in a year, guess they don't make them like they used to. These sit on my coffee table all the time too.

So, time to just go back to the Grados. I don't really want to fork out for the Hemps, and mine had that huge awful cable. Not sure if they still do, but I'd rather have the thin braided one. Also just want something cheaper to take on vacation.

So I'm down to between the 225x and the 325x.

music: classic rock, classical, jazz, and metal.
225x better price, lighter weight. Not too bothered by "detail" or the perception of detail that most confuse with treble; but the these two drivers seem different with the 325x having the wider range.

225x or 325x?

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #61,072 of 65,841
SR325x all the way... kings of rock, good articulation and actually has good bass (not just 'good for a Grado' bass).

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #61,073 of 65,841
OK I've searched and read various reviews and comparisons of the X series, Hemp, etc. and I still don't know which to get.

I had the Hemp previously and sold it. I found that despite loving them, for lounging around I grabbed the portapros (on clips instead of headband) and for serious listening I still grabbed my trusty R70x. I liked the Hemps because they sounded like a much better version of the portapros: lively, that sound you get from a dynamic driver pushing air. Something I wish my R70x did, but I can listen to the R70x all day long so they stay.

Well, no idea what's going on but I keep having issues with my portapros. I'm on my third pair in a year, guess they don't make them like they used to. These sit on my coffee table all the time too.

So, time to just go back to the Grados. I don't really want to fork out for the Hemps, and mine had that huge awful cable. Not sure if they still do, but I'd rather have the thin braided one. Also just want something cheaper to take on vacation.

225x better price, lighter weight. Not too bothered by "detail" or the perception of detail that most confuse with treble; but the these two drivers seem different with the 325x having the wider range.

225x or 325x?
325x. You will not regret the purchase 😀. Especially for your music choices !

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #61,074 of 65,841

225x or 325x?
325x 👍 If you buy from Moonaudio you can request a cable mod for additional $$.

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #61,076 of 65,841
325x 👍 If you buy from Moonaudio you can request a cable mod for additional $$.
They are quoting 505 - 635 USD for a 5' cable mod : |

325X ordered, will report back. thanks everyone for killing my wallet (easier to blame you guys lol)

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #61,077 of 65,841
RS1x`s are definitely versatile with many/all genres something that RS2x is not "that much/to the same degree it is great with folk music so much emotion with stuff like Suzanne Vega but "different/more bright" than on the RS1x.

Switching from RS2x to RS1X, RS1X sounds "almost dark/definitely darker" compared to RS2x. Btw I no longer have the RS2X returned them (I liked the RS1x more than RS2x for that music genre versatility think RS2x is a specialized one and not that versatile as RS1x).
I find the Gs1000x to be even more versatile than the RS1x (but this comes from someone who likes to listen to Prodigy on a RS1x).

I have not found anything/any genre that sounds "bad/off" on the gs1000x they are very versatile/more versatile than RS1x everything sounds just Phenomenal with them.

RS1x have that forward up-close presentation but gs1000x does not smoothens anything out what do you mean? midrange is just aligned together with the rest (one row of seats) it is not "sticking out" like on the RS1x in terms of presence/forwardness.

On an deserted island/other galaxy/dimension/deserted planet at the edge of universe gs1000x it is on my head no doubt whatsoever but I would still miss the RS1x when I crave for that forward up-close presentation for a change (I would smuggle my amp+dac in there without them I would be mostly unhappy knowing how gs1000x sounds properly amped)

Boveda 2 looks like something to be used inside wood box together with Grados but there are other things (something I will be testing after I paint my two wood boxes for the RS1X and gs1000x storage in "hopefully not that distant future".

Thanks ikoster for the detailed break down. Ended up getting RS1X as GS1000X would have been 2.1 times price paid for RS1X.

RS1X is exactly Grado sound signature was wanting vs first pair Grados which were Hemps.

Dekoni velour pads I find is a perfect match.

Two albums below I love listening to and RS1X really shines~brings a whole new analytical listening experience.

If the Stars Are Eternal So Are You and I by BT

Morceau Subrosa (also known, in full, as SUPPLEMENTO {BT: Volume 01. SERAPHIM 09.} NUOVO MORCEAU SUBROSA {A topological ABSTRACT of Granular Systems} [Symphonie elektronik]) by BT

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #61,079 of 65,841

225x or 325x?
I've never listened to the 225x. I own the 325x, and it's a fantastic headphone for classic rock and jazz.

I use the stock F pad, Geekria G "bowl" pads and AliExpress clones of the Beautiful Audio or Shipibo over-ear velour pads. All three pads create a unique signature, but I like the soundstage and air of the G "bowls" the best with all music.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #61,080 of 65,841

225x or 325x?
Santa gave me cash for Xmas and after reading this thread I thought that I would try a pair of Grado headphones. I was considering the SR 325x and the SR 225x. I ended up getting the 225x's because I read that they were less bright than the 325X's. I really enjoy them and I'm considering getting another pair of Grados later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back