Grado Fan Club!
Apr 3, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #59,671 of 65,840
With that aside 😏: RS-1x is a bit more extended in upper frequency response than is Hemp - which in turn has somewhat deeper and fuller bass/midbass than does RS-1x. Despite RS-1x’ slightly upward sloping frequency response ‘tilt’, I find the two headphones equally ‘airy’ with great soundstage. RS-1x is a bit more detailed in its sound; Hemp, to my ears, has slightly more coherence (unity) in its sound. Both headphones - to me - are highly musical, offer hugely plausible renditions of music. When I want that little extra ‘romp’, that little extra ‘jauntiness’ (!), between the two headphones, it’s Hemp time. EDIT: no experience with GS3000x.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #59,672 of 65,840
With that aside 😏: RS-1x is a bit more extended in upper frequency response than is Hemp - which in turn has somewhat deeper and fuller bass/midbass than does RS-1x. Despite RS-1x’ slightly upward sloping frequency response ‘tilt’, I find the two headphones equally ‘airy’ with great soundstage. RS-1x is a bit more detailed in its sound; Hemp, to my ears, has slightly more coherence (unity) in its sound. Both headphones - to me - are highly musical, offer hugely plausible renditions of music. When I want that little extra ‘romp’, that little extra ‘jauntiness’ (!), between the two headphones, it’s Hemp time. EDIT: no experience with GS3000x.

Agree entirely with Jonathan... would add two additional thoughts for consideration:

1. Both of the described characteristics above (RS1x v. Hemp) can be dialed "up" or "down" with specific tube compliments.

2. Specific music genre / pairings often can favor one of these headphones vs. the other. By way of example, I personally prefer the RS1x with certain female acoustic vocalist and tend to go for the Hemps with male vocalists and/or more often when enjoying classic rock.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #59,673 of 65,840
Hi there,

New owner of an Sr80x.

Enjoying it immensely straight out of a sony walkman.

Was tentative about d purchase since its so polarized out there in terms of how people describe the Grado sound (web/youtube reviews).

I can say I am a fan. Even of its aesthetic. People do complain alot about it, especially the pads. But I find, as someone living in the tropics with minimal AC usage, they are way more comfortable for me. And it's actually something I look for in headphones nowadays.

Looking forward to more hours with the Sr80x n actually thinking of future upgrades... 😁

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #59,674 of 65,840
Hi there,

New owner of an Sr80x.

Enjoying it immensely straight out of a sony walkman.

Was tentative about d purchase since its so polarized out there in terms of how people describe the Grado sound (web/youtube reviews).

I can say I am a fan. Even of its aesthetic. People do complain alot about it, especially the pads. But I find, as someone living in the tropics with minimal AC usage, they are way more comfortable for me. And it's actually something I look for in headphones nowadays.

Looking forward to more hours with the Sr80x n actually thinking of future upgrades... 😁
Hey I just brought Sr80x as well. I’m good with product quality. But I feel that I need deep bass for edm and it is not match with Grado style.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #59,675 of 65,840
Hey I just brought Sr80x as well. I’m good with product quality. But I feel that I need deep bass for edm and it is not match with Grado style.
Hi,

Yea maybe EDM would b more suited for closed back headphones, to get more of the bass...

Im really enjoying Rock n Guitar centric music off of the sr80x.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #59,676 of 65,840
Hi,

Yea maybe EDM would b more suited for closed back headphones, to get more of the bass...

Im really enjoying Rock n Guitar centric music off of the sr80x.
Yeah I think I will ok with my progressive rock.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #59,677 of 65,840
I have chance to try 325x just few mins… omg bass is what I’m looking for. It might because of different earpad.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #59,679 of 65,840
For original release 325, the black aluminum housing, how do I get the housing apart to look at the driver? One of my drivers isn't working so I want to pop it open and have a look. Thank you very much for sharing the technique to get them open!
Have a look on YouTube there’s plenty of videos of opening up the cups.

I just use a small hot air blower and warm the cup up.
It very easy to do.

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #59,680 of 65,840
I am now stuck on which pads to buy G or L?
Why not both? The Geekria versions are about $10-15 each on Amazon. They work well.

I'm early in my Grado journey, as I've owned my first pair -- 325x -- for only about 10 days. But I have discovered that pad rolling is part of the fun. I've never tried a headphone brand in which pad swaps change the sound so much as a Grado.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #59,681 of 65,840
The 325x hits pretty hard ... It's my first and only Grado so far, but I'm not disappointed with the bass quality or quantity.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #59,682 of 65,840
Ordered 2 x 3.5mm female sockets today
The cable has to go it drove me mad last night,ruined my enjoyment plus it kept pinching my beard.
Eventually gave up on them
So I have boxed the 325 up and will have another go when I have spent another £150 on cables and pads!
If there is no improvement in the mod they will be in Wigan Cash Convertors on Monday.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #59,683 of 65,840
Ordered 2 x 3.5mm female sockets today
The cable has to go it drove me mad last night,ruined my enjoyment plus it kept pinching my beard.
Eventually gave up on them
So I have boxed the 325 up and will have another go when I have spent another £150 on cables and pads!
If there is no improvement in the mod they will be in Wigan Cash Convertors on Monday.
My biggest gripe is with the cables.
Sure you will be fine once you have sorted the cable out and find some comfortable ear pads.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #59,684 of 65,840
My biggest gripe is with the cables.
Sure you will be fine once you have sorted the cable out and find some comfortable ear pads.
Just got a little frustrated
The pads are just everyone's head is different but the cabe would be better if it was sheaved in cotton not that plastic black bungee cord stuff.
I love the sound
Was listen some nice sound on the 325x last night
They put a new sound on Eric Claptons unplugged so much warmth with out losing detail
Now they are sat in the corner minus cable.
Let hope they get resurrected for easter.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #59,685 of 65,840
Just got a little frustrated
The pads are just everyone's head is different but the cabe would be better if it was sheaved in cotton not that plastic black bungee cord stuff.
I love the sound
Was listen some nice sound on the 325x last night
They put a new sound on Eric Claptons unplugged so much warmth with out losing detail
Now they are sat in the corner minus cable.
Let hope they get resurrected for easter.
😂😂😂
You know you will now because you will always be wondering???
Love Hate relationship.
Let’s hope for a happy ever after👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back