Grado Fan Club!
Apr 5, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #59,701 of 66,262
This is my comparison review of the Grado RS1X and the GS3000X. I have now lived with the Rs1x for about a month and spent about a week with the 3000X on a home demo.

The differences between these headphones are clearly noticeable but you can still tell they are from the same brand. In isolation I think any user would be more than happy with either headphone. They both have sonic qualities that are very enjoyable.

The 3000x with the drivers sitting further away from the ear and a larger ear cup provide a more spacious sound however, they still have enough snap and bite to keep the excitement that I imagine most Grado fans are addicted to.

Coming from the RS1X, the next thing you will notice is a more extended and deeper bass. The sound is more refined, more grown up. The midrange in comparison is less in your face. I couldn’t be sure whether the RS1X has a more forward midrange or that the 3000X has a slightly recessed one. Overall the sound of the 3000X is a little similar to 1266 phi TC but with less bass extension, more punch, attack and a more lively (realistic to me) treble presentation.

Back to the RS1X comparison. I found myself really enjoying the 3000X. The extra weight in the lower registers lends itself to a more cohesive presentation. These headphones sounded as detailed as any I’ve heard but they didn’t sound sterile or un engaging. Quite the opposite. They hold your attention and eventually you forget about analysing the sound and just end up listening to the music. I’d be sad to see these go. And there lies the hint.

The RS1X aren’t as spacious sounding., they are very intimate. They lack in terms of bass extension and in direct comparison you do notice that this is a less refined presentation. But… none of that matters when you use them as your daily driver because they are addictive. If the 3000x holds your attention, these arrest you, lock you up and throw away the key. They have a warmth to the sound that strays from absolute neutrality but it contributes to the fun character of the headphones. This also compensates somewhat for the lack of bass extension as once you get used to the presentation it doesn’t matter anymore.
Where I think the RS1X betters the 3000X and the reason why I chose them over the bigger brother is in terms of the snappiness and speed of sound. In my earlier review of the RS1X I said that I preferred their presentation to any other headphone I had owned previously. I used the example of the 1266 phi TC because that was the most fun I had had prior to the RS1X. This still holds true for the comparison with the 3000x. They are a warm yet lively listen with a leading edge definition that is still the very best I’ve heard on headphones. This again is the PRAT thing that I enjoy beyond everything else and you could say to the detriment of other aspects of sound. I don’t care though as these are thoroughly entertaining headphones.

The 3000X made me smile and enjoy listening to music and thrilled me one a few songs. The RS1X did it for me on practically every song.

72F19056-5831-4CCB-969A-59C11CA3C07A.jpeg

3E304142-B6C0-45BD-898C-5D1D0D7948F5.jpeg
525CF9D2-8560-4916-ADBA-BC3903E1DEBA.jpeg
I agree with you 100%. I'm not the wordsmith you are so my hats off to you for such a spot on comparison.

Thanks for sharing!

Leo

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #59,702 of 66,262
This is my comparison review of the Grado RS1X and the GS3000X. I have now lived with the Rs1x for about a month and spent about a week with the 3000X on a home demo.

The differences between these headphones are clearly noticeable but you can still tell they are from the same brand. In isolation I think any user would be more than happy with either headphone. They both have sonic qualities that are very enjoyable.

The 3000x with the drivers sitting further away from the ear and a larger ear cup provide a more spacious sound however, they still have enough snap and bite to keep the excitement that I imagine most Grado fans are addicted to.

Coming from the RS1X, the next thing you will notice is a more extended and deeper bass. The sound is more refined, more grown up. The midrange in comparison is less in your face. I couldn’t be sure whether the RS1X has a more forward midrange or that the 3000X has a slightly recessed one. Overall the sound of the 3000X is a little similar to 1266 phi TC but with less bass extension, more punch, attack and a more lively (realistic to me) treble presentation.

Back to the RS1X comparison. I found myself really enjoying the 3000X. The extra weight in the lower registers lends itself to a more cohesive presentation. These headphones sounded as detailed as any I’ve heard but they didn’t sound sterile or un engaging. Quite the opposite. They hold your attention and eventually you forget about analysing the sound and just end up listening to the music. I’d be sad to see these go. And there lies the hint.

The RS1X aren’t as spacious sounding., they are very intimate. They lack in terms of bass extension and in direct comparison you do notice that this is a less refined presentation. But… none of that matters when you use them as your daily driver because they are addictive. If the 3000x holds your attention, these arrest you, lock you up and throw away the key. They have a warmth to the sound that strays from absolute neutrality but it contributes to the fun character of the headphones. This also compensates somewhat for the lack of bass extension as once you get used to the presentation it doesn’t matter anymore.
Where I think the RS1X betters the 3000X and the reason why I chose them over the bigger brother is in terms of the snappiness and speed of sound. In my earlier review of the RS1X I said that I preferred their presentation to any other headphone I had owned previously. I used the example of the 1266 phi TC because that was the most fun I had had prior to the RS1X. This still holds true for the comparison with the 3000x. They are a warm yet lively listen with a leading edge definition that is still the very best I’ve heard on headphones. This again is the PRAT thing that I enjoy beyond everything else and you could say to the detriment of other aspects of sound. I don’t care though as these are thoroughly entertaining headphones.

The 3000X made me smile and enjoy listening to music and thrilled me one a few songs. The RS1X did it for me on practically every song.

Lovely. Thank you for the detailed presentation and comparison.

I guess my question to you, at this point and if you don't mind, is which gender/s of music did you use to make the comparison and what would you use these 2 models for, preferably.

Thank you once again and Cheers.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #59,703 of 66,262
Hi, can someone help with the dating of SR325? Got it in the mail now. The letters are silver, the fabric in front of the driver is slightly pinkish. There is a purchase receipt - December 28, 2002. But it is not known how much time they spent in the store before they were bought. The first owner used them for a couple of years, then bought a speaker system and hasn't used them for at least the last 15 years.

They came with G-pads. The sound is terrible - no bass, no midrange, only squeaky like a tweeter treble. To achieve normal volume, I had to turn the amplifier up to 60% at a time when the HD650 requires the same volume by only 30%. Then the sound becomes very rough.

But if I press the headphone cups against head, the sound gets better and better. If remove the pads completely, then the sound is good, but a little bright, the drums are transmitted directly to the eardrum. So far I have settled on homemade leather pads from the orthodynamic Yamaha HP1. The sound became similar to a cross between HD600 and Koss Pro/4 AAA, but a little less detailed. Bass is a bit boomy. With these pads, a comfortable volume became about 20% of the amplifier.

Some potential is felt, but I need to order new pads. Now I'm thinking, should I take L pads or F pads?

By the way, the headphones are quite light and the clamp is also light. My DT48 push harder and are heavier, I use them for 6-8 hours without problems.

Photo here, the back of the speaker seems to have 2 holes and is completely metal.

Attachments

• IMG_7376.JPG
    IMG_7376.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7377.JPG
    IMG_7377.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7378.JPG
    IMG_7378.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7379.JPG
    IMG_7379.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7380.JPG
    IMG_7380.JPG
    998.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7381.JPG
    IMG_7381.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7382.JPG
    IMG_7382.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #59,704 of 66,262

I guess my question to you, at this point and if you don't mind, is which gender/s of music did you use to make the comparison and what would you use these 2 models for, preferably.

I listened to classic rock, prog rock, rap, R&B, Hip hop, Pop, indian, Brazilian and movie soundtracks. I enjoyed these genres on the RS1X a little more than on the 3000x. They were just more intimate. Drums especially sounded better to me on the Rs1x.

With Jazz and classical music the 3000x was clearly more enjoyable. I can completely understand if another person would much prefer the 3000x sound signature for any or all the genres because like I said before it is a more organised and balanced sound. Just not as upfront or upbeat as the Rs1x.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #59,705 of 66,262
I don’t mind the reference, but in the office it might not fly. I want that clean rs2x look with the hemp bass.

Someone removed the buttons and posted pictures in this thread a couple of years back (I think around 2020).

Edit: Maybe it was carboncopy who posted the pictures.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #59,706 of 66,262

Have you tried 3000x with F pads? I'm addicted to the Hemp's bass and not sure if 3000x can give me the same experience. But I believe F pads should be more bassy?

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #59,707 of 66,262

I guess my question to you, at this point and if you don't mind, is which gender/s** of music did you use to make the comparison and what would you use these 2 models for, preferably.

** 🤨? … genre(s) ☑️🤣

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #59,709 of 66,262
Personally I wouldn’t change the pads. Grado have tuned the drivers according to where they will sit** Changing the pads changes everything.
The Prestige Series, Reference Series, Limited Editions sound best, to me, with F-cushions; the Statement Series, with G-cushions.

** this will vary by ear / head shape / size … 🤔

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #59,710 of 66,262
I listened to classic rock, prog rock, rap, R&B, Hip hop, Pop, indian, Brazilian and movie soundtracks. I enjoyed these genres on the RS1X a little more than on the 3000x. They were just more intimate. Drums especially sounded better to me on the Rs1x.

With Jazz and classical music the 3000x was clearly more enjoyable. I can completely understand if another person would much prefer the 3000x sound signature for any or all the genres because like I said before it is a more organised and balanced sound. Just not as upfront or upbeat as the Rs1x.
Prog rock but especially prog instrumental metal are my favorite. I would never consider, in theory, the RS1X for the notorious lack of bass. Between the 2 HP, I would bet in the 3000X for these genres, even if still not ideal. Your conclusions are very interesting. I guess people are really very different. Even for similar tastes, the way you perceive them can be so very different.

I admit I have been busting my head with non stop reading within the forum to try and understand what is best suited for my style of listening. My only conclusion after weeks of research is that all discussed HP are ideal and none is. I ended with more doubts that I had in the beginning!:smile:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #59,712 of 66,262
Prog rock but especially prog instrumental metal are my favorite. I would never consider, in theory, the RS1X for the notorious lack of bass.**
** When RS-1x is driven by Icon Audio HP8 Signature, “tubed” with KenRad VT-231 pair + Brimar CV455 (Footscray 1956), there is no lack of bass: either in amount or extension. And, believe it or not, RS-1x soundstage gains dimensionality!
929900E1-75A0-4934-95F9-3089D03E5A9A.jpeg

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #59,714 of 66,262
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #59,715 of 66,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back