Grado Fan Club!
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #59,522 of 65,609
Last night i listened Enigma via iFi GO Link and Hemps , I felt quite confused. The sound is really, really good …. I recommend that test this little wonder, makes miracles to Grados ….
🎼:
‘Things are different today’ I hear all headphoners say,
Head-Fiers need something today for getting down,
And though they’re not really chill, there’s a little iFi thrill:
They go running for the shelter of their Grado’s little helper …
🎶

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #59,523 of 65,609
Mar 29, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #59,525 of 65,609
No no no. Don’t bother. Looks fake to me
Ha. Not for me...I don't need another one. I just noticed it while I was looking for stuff on the bay.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #59,526 of 65,609
Hmmm...does somebody has interest in USA to send a GS3000x to accourate sound? I would do it, but I am in Europe. The sender does not have to pay post and becomes the filter set for free.

I mean here:

https://accuratesound.ca/store/#filter

I have filter sets for my Raal SR1b and for my Abyss and convolution filters are really something else as simple EQ. Would be fun to see the results.

Mar 29, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #59,527 of 65,609
Does this GS3000e look right to you guys?
Very unconvincing fake. Note that a real GS3000e/GS3000x has tall lettering which you can see here and here. Grado's own side picture that shows standard font height is likely a mockup or a prototype sample.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #59,528 of 65,609
Finally dove into the Grado sound with the purchase of 325x today. Early impressions based on my first Grado listen:

-- These things have more bass than I thought. Grado's have the reputation of being thin on the low end, but these things have surprising oomph with the stock pads.

-- I also tried the Geekria G pads recommended by DMS. Definitely increase the comfort and expand the soundstage to a surprising width. Impressive. But they also change the tuning to more a more V-shaped signature, which is taking a tuning that borders on too much treble for me and pushes it over the edge. You lose some of the bass punch from the stock F pads, too.

-- Everyone wasn't kidding about the discomfort of these. The stock F pads are very thin, with openings in the center. I have a decent-sized head, but my ears started to hurt after 30 minutes.

-- If this is the "warmer" Grado, damn, I'd hate to hear what the "normal" or "sharp" Grado sounds like. While there were no icepicks to the cochlea like a Beyer or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, I could see this sound signature being fatiguing very quickly for me. It's unrelenting in its brightness and detail. Neither the brightness or detail are mind-blowing separately, but it's grating and tiring as a blend.

-- Pad rolling is fun and easy with Grados. Everyone is right: The sound signature and soundstage change more dramatically with pad rolling with these than any other brand I've tried.

-- I expected imaging that punched above the $295 price. I was disappointed. Didn't find the imaging any better than my HD 6XX, which is $50 less new. Of course, the imaging couldn't compare to my LCD-X 2021, but I didn't expect that.

-- The cable is clumsy, but I do must of my listening at the desktop, so no big deal. I would rather have a thick fabric cable like this than the damn Christmas tree tinsel that HiFiMan sends with some of its cans as a stock cable. The Focal Elegia cable was just as stiff and clumsy as the Grado cable, too. I think the Grado cable gets crap upon unfairly. It's not great; it's not awful.

-- The leather headband, with almost no padding, doesn't bother me at all.

I'll give these more time, but it's unlikely I'll keep them. The signature is just too fatiguing. I tend to like a neutral-to-warmish signature, and I thought that this "warmer" Grado 325x might suit me.

But Grado is gonna Grado, even a warmer version. I know it works for a lot of people and I respect Grado's adherence to its "house sound," but it's just too tangy for my ears and brain. I thought maybe I could find a low-priced gem here, but I need something with a warmer, softer signature yet with detail.

Next target probably is a ZMF Aeolus after some months to save. :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #59,529 of 65,609
Very unconvincing fake. Note that a real GS3000e/GS3000x has tall lettering which you can see here and here. Grado's own side picture that shows standard font height is likely a mockup or a prototype sample.

Looks like something someone put together with parts from earphonediylabs...and now he is trying to pass it along as the real thing because on that site he read that the parts are real.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #59,530 of 65,609
Finally dove into the Grado sound with the purchase of 325x today. Early impressions based on my first Grado listen:

-- These things have more bass than I thought. Grado's have the reputation of being thin on the low end, but these things have surprising oomph with the stock pads.

-- I also tried the Geekria G pads recommended by DMS. Definitely increase the comfort and expand the soundstage to a surprising width. Impressive. But they also change the tuning to more a more V-shaped signature, which is taking a tuning that borders on too much treble for me and pushes it over the edge. You lose some of the bass punch from the stock F pads, too.

-- Everyone wasn't kidding about the discomfort of these. The stock F pads are very thin, with openings in the center. I have a decent-sized head, but my ears started to hurt after 30 minutes.

-- If this is the "warmer" Grado, damn, I'd hate to hear what the "normal" or "sharp" Grado sounds like. While there were no icepicks to the cochlea like a Beyer or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, I could see this sound signature being fatiguing very quickly for me. It's unrelenting in its brightness and detail. Neither the brightness or detail are mind-blowing separately, but it's grating and tiring as a blend.

-- Pad rolling is fun and easy with Grados. Everyone is right: The sound signature and soundstage change more dramatically with pad rolling with these than any other brand I've tried.

-- I expected imaging that punched above the $295 price. I was disappointed. Didn't find the imaging any better than my HD 6XX, which is $50 less new. Of course, the imaging couldn't compare to my LCD-X 2021, but I didn't expect that.

-- The cable is clumsy, but I do must of my listening at the desktop, so no big deal. I would rather have a thick fabric cable like this than the damn Christmas tree tinsel that HiFiMan sends with some of its cans as a stock cable. The Focal Elegia cable was just as stiff and clumsy as the Grado cable, too. I think the Grado cable gets crap upon unfairly. It's not great; it's not awful.

I'll give these more time, but it's unlikely I'll keep them. The signature is just too fatiguing. I tend to like a neutral-to-warmish signature, and I thought that this "warmer" Grado 325x might suit me.

But Grado is gonna Grado, even a warmer version. I know it works for a lot of people and I respect Grado's adherence to its "house sound," but it's just too tangy for my ears and brain. I thought maybe I could find a low-priced gem here, but I need something with a warmer, softer signature yet with detail.

What’s the rest of your system?

I had a problem with Harbeth speakers last year where I thought they were bright. Turned out it wasn’t the speakers at all but something else in my chain. Now the same speakers are super extended without being bright

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #59,531 of 65,609
What’s the rest of your system?

I had a problem with Harbeth speakers last year where I thought they were bright. Turned out it wasn’t the speakers at all but something else in my chain. Now the same speakers are super extended without being bright
JDS Labs Atom+ DAC/amp stack. I'm very happy with it with my other cans, and I'm not buying additional source chain gear for a $295 headphone that barely needs amplification, anyways.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #59,533 of 65,609

So clearly Grados aren't your thing. What other headphones are your thing ?

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #59,534 of 65,609
Don’t rush with the 325x. Give it at least 100hrs of burn in.
You’ll get used to the F pads at some point.

Yes, the soundstage is small. But 325x (and Hemp) has very rich sound that I can’t find on any other hp.

Try this this song on 325x and listen to the low end. It’s like drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back