Grado Fan Club!
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #59,506 of 65,724
Exchanged my hd600 to AT-r70x with a friend , also took a dt1990 from his studio. Very impressive of the DT1990, but I will not want to own them. GH4 bright but no sibilant, and was impressive it's the sound stage, or would I say there is no stage, more of a surround sound space. Too tight bass would not be a good idea on this grado. it sounds like speakers in a room than headphone compare to others.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #59,507 of 65,724
Exchanged my hd600 to AT-r70x with a friend , also took a dt1990 from his studio. Very impressive of the DT1990, but I will not want to own them. GH4 bright but no sibilant, and was impressive it's the sound stage, or would I say there is no stage, more of a surround sound space. Too tight bass would not be a good idea on this grado. it sounds like speakers in a room than headphone compare to others.

Around 20 years ago those headphones would have been TOTL/flagship models (well, the dt1990 and the GH4 did not exist back then, but you know what I mean)...and the cost of all them put together would not have added up to half the price of some of the flagships being released today.

The difference in price does not always equate to better performance, IMO. The best thing that happened to me is falling in love with the Grado sound. I don't need or want to explore just how much better these newer headphones are compared to, say, my RS2e...and I can save my money for a rainy day (or a good amp...or a new dac...or a new watch...who am I kidding, there will be no money there for that rainy day).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #59,508 of 65,724
Around 20 years ago those headphones would have been TOTL/flagship models (well, the dt1990 and the GH4 did not exist back then, but you know what I mean)...and the cost of all them put together would not have added up to half the price of some of the flagships being released today.

The difference in price does not always equate to better performance, IMO. The best thing that happened to me is falling in love with the Grado sound. I don't need or want to explore just how much better these newer headphones are compared to, say, my RS2e...and I can save my money for a rainy day (or a good amp...or a new dac...or a new watch...who am I kidding, there will no money there for that rainy day).
I like them, good taste of headphones sound. good to know, my girl is more beautiful than others. Love must not be blind

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #59,510 of 65,724

The difference in price does not always equate to better performance, IMO. The best thing that happened to me is falling in love with the Grado sound. I don't need or want to explore just how much better these newer headphones are compared to, say, my RS2e...and I can save my money for a rainy day (or a good amp...or a new dac...or a new watch...who am I kidding, there will no money there for that rainy day).

But how is that huge cocobolo thing compared to the small cocobolo thing.

Which is better??

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #59,511 of 65,724
But how is that huge cocobolo thing compared to the small cocobolo thing.

Which is better??
It's not the size of the cocobolo that matters...

...it's how you use it. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #59,513 of 65,724
I really hope so as i an very happy with my small one!

Let's just say that the GS3000e is better...but I can't perceive a night and day difference. The GH2 and the RS2e actually do some things better (such as sub bass). Also, the GH2 is more comfortable since it weighs less. The GS3000e, however, is pretty...so, so pretty.

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #59,514 of 65,724
Let's just say that the GS3000e is better...but I can't perceive a night and day difference. The GH2 and the RS2e actually do some things better (such as sub bass). Also, the GH2 is more comfortable since it weighs less. The GS3000e, however, is pretty...so, so pretty.
…. GS3000e does have a deeper (front / back) headband than does GH2. I find both to be very comfortable, besides sounding great. As for pretty, well 🙂 ….
FA180081-C403-4BF0-86CC-E518804BC227.jpeg

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #59,515 of 65,724
A tip for Grado owners:
Last night i listened Enigma via iFi GO Link and Hemps , I felt quite confused.
The sound is really, really good.
Sturdy. Subtle. Controlled. Brand new things in the mids, yet the softness and beauty remains.
The temptation to increase the volume is always present.
There is at least enough dynamics.
The sound is dimensional.

Bass is strong and punchy.
There is separation throughout the entire sound range and is at a good level.

59 euros. 👀

Edit: RME is very transparent, so in that sense you can say that iFi does add its own spices to the sound, but the spices are quite good. At least for my taste buds.

I recommend that test this little wonder, makes miracles to Grados.

:star::star::star::star:

IMG_2207.jpeg

Mar 29, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #59,516 of 65,724
A tip for Grado owners:
Sturdy. Subtle. Controlled. Brand new things in the mids, yet the softness and beauty remains.

59 euros. 👀

Edit: RME is very transparent, so in that sense you can say that iFi does add its own spices to the sound, but the spices are quite good. At least for my taste buds.

IMG_2207.jpeg

It’s quite remarkable the sound quality from these dongle things now.

I use the Ibasso DC03 Pro and DC04pro.
These are as good if not better than midrange daps of a few years ago.
The price to performance ratio is falling fast.
Using some of these dongle dacs into other amps brings big benefits as well.

Can only imagine where we will be in 5 years time .
Maybe active headphones with the dac and amp in each ear cup?
Connected by just a usbc cable on one side.
I know this is starting to happen from some manufacturers.
It won’t be long before my we will see audiophile usb headphone cables 🤣

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #59,517 of 65,724
I hear the same changes I expect you hear but I still attribute most of the change in sound to brain break in.

Sure, the drivers settle in a bit I suppose, but until someone shows me something on a graph, which should be visible given the dramatic changes I heard, I will continue to believe they are just getting used to the new sound sig.

I agree. Although the incisive treble will exaggerate some flaws, it will disguise others and the ones you hear will not be audible to most users, instead you'll be dulling out the sound and making the recording LESS accessible.

I also think using ANY open back headphone like a Grado (which is as wide open as you get since the days of freebies with cassette players) is allowing your listening environment to mask low level dynamics in the recordings you are listening too. If your environment has no a/c or heat, you're fine. Otherwise ...

I would use the best Dan Clark Audio planar you job can justify. I have used DCA Aeon RT closed on an airplane and could hear more with those than the noise cancelling Sony's. The isolation is excellent and the detail beats all. The sense of space is accurate yet deep and resolute.

Something closed back, high detail, resolving but not treble enhanced.

Grado is for music.
Well said. I was waiting for someone to chime this in when catching up on the thread.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #59,518 of 65,724
After finally being able to enjoy headphones like I do speakers with the Rs1x, I’m now going to be picking up a demo pair of gs3000x tomorrow. I’ll post impressions soon. The only headphone it has to better or be different enough to is the Rs1x.

Technically I’m sure people can tell me that list of headphones I’ve previously owned were superior but I didn’t enjoy them anywhere near as much so nothing else matters.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #59,519 of 65,724
The only headphone it has to better or be different enough to is the Rs1x.

I'm interested in this comparison since I'm still keeping an eye out for an RS1x.

giphy.gif

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #59,520 of 65,724
A tip for Grado owners:

59 euros. 👀

IMG_2207.jpeg
FWIW: While I haven't tried the Go Link, I do own the Go Blu. That little thing turns your Grado's into a BT HP with a formidable effect and SQ (price about 3-fold higher than the Go Link). Amazing how fast the development goes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back