Grado Fan Club!
Nov 18, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #57,451 of 65,636
will anyone kill me this individual from Hong Kong just vanish his SR-80,

if it was a pair bought AD 2003 timeless how it compared to new

He thought he would just live with SUHRE SE535 SE215 TDK BA200 UM3X

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #57,452 of 65,636
For those of you with Grados w/ solid wood cups (ie mahogany, cocobolo, etc... ; not sure if it'd apply to the hemp models,) do you do anything to condition the wood in order to extend it's lifespan & keep it from drying out? I believe I read someone on one of these forums recommended mineral oil on the wood, but can anyone else vouch for that? If so, how often do you think it needs to be done?

Just trying to avoid excessive drying out/cracks. Humidity can be very low here in the winter.

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #57,453 of 65,636
For those of you with Grados w/ solid wood cups (ie mahogany, cocobolo, etc... ; not sure if it'd apply to the hemp models,) do you do anything to condition the wood in order to extend it's lifespan & keep it from drying out? I believe I read someone on one of these forums recommended mineral oil on the wood, but can anyone else vouch for that? If so, how often do you think it needs to be done?

Just trying to avoid excessive drying out/cracks. Humidity can be very low here in the winter.
I don’t know if it’s necessary, or even recommended, but I’ve used Dunlop 65 guitar polish to ‘clean up’ my RS-1e’s.

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #57,454 of 65,636
I must listen to my PS500e and GS1000e again, been sitting boxed to be sold for ages. No interest in the PS500e and never got round to even advertising the GS1000e … excellent and …. So light, the reason I bought them.

Grado is an acquired taste but light and incredibly detailed. I must try again as with my Chord TT2 I haven’t 😬

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #57,455 of 65,636
I spent this week listening to 225x after listening to the 325e all of last week. I wouldn't say I have a preference at this point. The 325e is definitely more transparent iits like the headphone effect vanishes and the sounds fill the room instead of my head. The 225x place instruments and voices in very specific spaces, when sitting in my chair the sound often seems to be coming from the speakers in front of me as opposed to in my head.

I use the HRTF sliders in the HiBy music app to expand the soundstage. When combined with wavelet to boost the frequencies that the HRTF muddies the soundstage is very reminiscent of my Polk SDA and Carver amp home system. Or to put simply, freaking perfect.

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #57,456 of 65,636
No joke I want several of the Limited Editions (White, Oreo, Black Label) solely because they look cool. The craftsmanship draws me in. I probably wouldn't even listen to them at all.
I'm sorry I missed what you were saying because I was busy stacking up all the Grado boxes in my closet :wink:

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #57,457 of 65,636
Calling all Grado Hemp owners:
What's the consensus on the headband (with replacement ear pads of course)? Are the headphones heavy enough to warrant replacing them with a more cushioned variant (like ones on Amazon). Can you change them at all?

Upgrading from a pair of fairly heavy headphones that have decent headband cushion/earpads and wanted to know how they compared.

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #57,458 of 65,636

jonathan c is the man to talk about care of his wood :wink:
He has some kind of special treatment he uses. You can probably search back through the thread or he'll probably chime in

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #57,459 of 65,636
jonathan c is the man to talk about care of his wood ^^ :wink:
He has some kind of special treatment he uses. You can probably search back through the thread or he'll probably chime in
^^ only mine! ….🤣🤣. Anyway, this is what I use on GH-2, GS3000e, Hemp, and RS-1x headphones: once a month.
AD23B484-DB2A-4023-9809-F59C01DB8DD0.jpeg

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #57,460 of 65,636
What's the consensus on the headband (with replacement ear pads of course)? Are the headphones heavy enough to warrant replacing them with a more cushioned variant (like ones on Amazon). Can you change them at all?

Upgrading from a pair of fairly heavy headphones that have decent headband cushion/earpads and wanted to know how they compared.
Hemps are super lightweight. You'll likely not notice the headband much.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #57,462 of 65,636

Don't replace the earpads lmao

Like, seriously. I tried them all and they sound like totally different headphones with ANY other pads on.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #57,464 of 65,636
Hmm, i'll have to try the stock ones and compare them. They just look so uncomfortable, I don't want the drivers sitting on my ears all day lol.
I raised this same question a few pages back - less than a week ago. The consensus and unfortunate truth is that F pads are exactly as uncomfortable as they look but, as several other posters have noted and I agree, they also give the best sound on the Hemps.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #57,465 of 65,636
I raised this same question a few pages back - less than a week ago. The consensus and unfortunate truth is that F pads are exactly as uncomfortable as they look but, as several other posters have noted and I agree, they also give the best sound on the Hemps.
Well, sounds like I have to keep the F pads around then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back