Grado Fan Club!
Nov 18, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #57,466 of 65,764
Hmm, i'll have to try the stock ones and compare them. They just look so uncomfortable, I don't want the drivers sitting on my ears all day lol.
Honestly after the first couple days I stopped noticing. Sure they're not ultra-comfy like Beyers or HiFiMan gear but it's definitely not UNcomfortable. But it's like said above, they sound so, so much better with them on.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #57,469 of 65,764
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #57,470 of 65,764
The biggest improvement for comfort with F pads is making sure that the headband isn’t tight. Once you stretch it a bit to the point where neither side is pressing down on your ears but still sit securely then the F pads are fine, they just sit against the ear.

Now, L pads… there‘s no saving them haha, uncomfortable but often worth it for the sound.

YMWNV

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #57,471 of 65,764
Personally, I buy gear that makes me smile. It's a combination of looks, the physical "feel" of the unit itself, and sound. For me, sound is #1 by a large margin. I haven't heard the RS2e or X, but currently own the Hemps, RS1e, RS1x, and GS3000x. Personally, I don't think you would be unhappy with either the RS2 or RS1 (X or E). When you get up towards the Grado TOTL I believe that the differences are nuanced differences amongst them, but not earth shattering. YMMV.

Leo
I feel like the big bowl makes a huge difference, so much so I was shocked. I did not think Grado headphones could be this good, but they compete with the best from DCA and ZMF.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #57,472 of 65,764
Hmm, i'll have to try the stock ones and compare them. They just look so uncomfortable, I don't want the drivers sitting on my ears all day lol.
You can get used to the stock pads. I always come back to them for the sound.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #57,473 of 65,764
I raised this same question a few pages back - less than a week ago. The consensus and unfortunate truth is that F pads are exactly as uncomfortable as they look but, as several other posters have noted and I agree, they also give the best sound on the Hemps.
I agree. With G pads you loose bass and slam.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #57,475 of 65,764
Nov 18, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #57,479 of 65,764
My second choice is ZMF pads. The most comfy pads for Grado.
I like wearing those on Hemp, however, it does change the sound of the headphone into a different headphone. Not bad, just different. I wear them for comfort and ease of on/off at the computer, and bass.
For those of you with Grados w/ solid wood cups (ie mahogany, cocobolo, etc... ; not sure if it'd apply to the hemp models,) do you do anything to condition the wood in order to extend it's lifespan & keep it from drying out? I believe I read someone on one of these forums recommended mineral oil on the wood, but can anyone else vouch for that? If so, how often do you think it needs to be done?

Just trying to avoid excessive drying out/cracks. Humidity can be very low here in the winter.
I would be careful about generalizing about woods as well, not to mention Hemp vs etc.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #57,480 of 65,764
I raised this same question a few pages back - less than a week ago. The consensus and unfortunate truth is that F pads are exactly as uncomfortable as they look but, as several other posters have noted and I agree, they also give the best sound on the Hemps.
I wear my SR325X a bit lower on my ears... they sound great and are more comfortable.

Playing with the position of Grados changes comfort and sound... it helps to tailor the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back