Grado Fan Club!
Nov 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #57,481 of 65,770
Those look nice as well. How do they compare to the Amazon Geekria ones? I assume the material is better on those.
Geekria pads touch my ears and I don't like that feeling. They are not expensive and you should try all pads and see which is better for your own preferences. For me I like F pads the most for it's fun bassy sound.

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #57,483 of 65,770
So what is it about planars? Don’t own any! Everyone says I must try one?!
Should I buy one?
Already live well with my Grados…
Hifiman? Audeze?

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #57,484 of 65,770
Should I buy one?
Hifiman? Audeze?
That’s a very broad question, and you will likely get as many opinions as you do responses. I can tell you my very subjective reactions to multiple diffferent planars I have owned, but the first observation is that not all planars are alike any more than all dynamics are alike, so everything depends upon your personal taste. And the truth is, if grado is your primary reference, there may be no planar that gives you what you want, as I find that Grados have a certain presentation unique to themselves, notwithstanding the great variations between models. Also, to my ears and in my experience, the less expensive planars I’ve tried all fall short in one way or another. So, for examples, Hifiman Ananda and Sundara, both much loved (and updated since I had them), sounded beautiful but boring to me - lacking life and dynamics. I found that the XS were much better in this regard, but lacked some of the finesse of the Anandas in particular. I may be a minority, but I liked the HE560 (with Audeze style pads and better wire) best of all the under $1,000 HiFiMans I tried (I actually bought those twice - I traded the second pair with my brother, because I wasn’t using them and I wanted my old HD580’s back - long story). Also, build quality is a big question mark with the affordable HiFiMans - all of these things may well be addressed in their higher end models, but I have no experience with them. By comparison, the Audeze models I’ve tried are the very epitome of industrial design and, frankly, they make the HiFiMans look and feel like toys (again, not a fair comparison because they are almost double the price of the lower end HiFiMans with which I have experience). But the Audeze have their own issues. Some complain they are too heavy (I’m a 6’1”, 240 lb. galoot, the weight is not a consideration for me). My favorite Audeze were an old pair of LCD-X; they had it all. Until one day the left channel stopped working because the diaphragm ripped. Audeze replaced both drivers free of charge, they’re CS is great IMO, but when I got them back, the headphones had lost their magic. I sold them and tried the LCD-2 rosewood, and found that they had great bass, and nothing else. Not for me, while others love them. Then I tried a pair of ‘21 rev. LCD-X, and they were all around excellent - very hard to fault - but, once again, they lacked that certain magic that I experienced with the older LCD-X, so off they went. I am currently awaiting delivery on a pair of LCD-3, hoping they deliver the goods. At the price, even on the B-stock sale, I am expecting a lot, but we shall see. I have also experimented with the infinitely tunable DCA Open X (maybe a good entry point because they are relatively affordable, nicely built, look cool and sound very good), and the Quad ERA-1 (oh, how I wanted those gorgeous headphones to be ‘the ones’), but ultimately I could not find a permanent spot in my stable for either - the DCA’s for no reason in particular, they really are a good all around headphone and with the included tuning kit are quite versatile, and the Quads because they had a lacked that last bit of bass slam I wanted. I haven’t tried ZMF - although they are obviously beautiful works of art, I cannot comment on their sound.

At the end of the day, all of those headphones have come and gone, and I’m listening to my RS-1e’s right now.

All of the above are just MY subjective observations, in my home on my system with my music. None of it is intended to gainsay anyone else’s informed opinion, invalidate any buying decision or impugn the judgment of anyone who disagrees with me. I’ve been listening to music seriously for more than 50 years. I don’t do or believe in any kind of measuring or formal testing. I put on whatever it is that I’m listening to and either I like it or I don’t. Sometimes I know why, other times I can’t put my finger on it. Still other times, I change my mind later on, one way or another. So take it for what it’s worth.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #57,485 of 65,770
Should I buy one?
Hifiman? Audeze?
I've got several planars. Audeze LCD 2, Hifiman HE6SEV2, Monoprice M1060, DCA Alpha Primes, Avantone Pro. I like them all, but not any more than I like my Grados or others. I dont think that planars have any special magic powers that dynamic drivers don't have. They move air to create sound vibrations.

If you want to try some, for the sake of trying something new, Hifiman tends to have a really nice mid / treble sound that would probably appeal to a Grado fan.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #57,486 of 65,770
Thank to you both,for a sharing your experience
Mmm. Maybe I should forget planars.
Grado are my favorite and referance.
Last year my Grado dealer sold out the old «e» RS and prestige. 50% off,black friday.
Maybe they sell off the old GS and PS this black friday.

If not maybe I try to find a hifiman on sale

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #57,487 of 65,770
Thank to you both,for a sharing your experience
Mmm. Maybe I should forget planars.
Grado are my favorite and referance.
Last year my Grado dealer sold out the old «e» RS and prestige. 50% off,black friday.
Maybe they sell off the old GS and PS this black friday.

If not maybe I try to find a hifiman on sale
Hifiman is having a sale right now, as is ZMF. You just missed the annual Audeze ‘B-Stock’ sale.

Good luck!

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #57,489 of 65,770
Waiting for sale here at the North Pole
Lol! We converse so freely, I sometimes forget that we head-fiers are from all over the globe. This livin’ in the future stuff is pretty cool for an old codger like me, but I do sometimes get confused - yes, that’s when I listen to the music play.

2E77FC2B-7118-456F-A6F0-DA207E37337C.jpeg

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #57,490 of 65,770
Nov 19, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #57,492 of 65,770
That’s a very broad question, and you will likely get as many opinions as you do responses. I can tell you my very subjective reactions to multiple diffferent planars I have owned, but the first observation is that not all planars are alike any more than all dynamics are alike, so everything depends upon your personal taste. And the truth is, if grado is your primary reference, there may be no planar that gives you what you want, as I find that Grados have a certain presentation unique to themselves, notwithstanding the great variations between models. Also, to my ears and in my experience, the less expensive planars I’ve tried all fall short in one way or another. So, for examples, Hifiman Ananda and Sundara, both much loved (and updated since I had them), sounded beautiful but boring to me - lacking life and dynamics. I found that the XS were much better in this regard, but lacked some of the finesse of the Anandas in particular. I may be a minority, but I liked the HE560 (with Audeze style pads and better wire) best of all the under $1,000 HiFiMans I tried (I actually bought those twice - I traded the second pair with my brother, because I wasn’t using them and I wanted my old HD580’s back - long story). Also, build quality is a big question mark with the affordable HiFiMans - all of these things may well be addressed in their higher end models, but I have no experience with them. By comparison, the Audeze models I’ve tried are the very epitome of industrial design and, frankly, they make the HiFiMans look and feel like toys (again, not a fair comparison because they are almost double the price of the lower end HiFiMans with which I have experience). But the Audeze have their own issues. Some complain they are too heavy (I’m a 6’1”, 240 lb. galoot, the weight is not a consideration for me). My favorite Audeze were an old pair of LCD-X; they had it all. Until one day the left channel stopped working because the diaphragm ripped. Audeze replaced both drivers free of charge, they’re CS is great IMO, but when I got them back, the headphones had lost their magic. I sold them and tried the LCD-2 rosewood, and found that they had great bass, and nothing else. Not for me, while others love them. Then I tried a pair of ‘21 rev. LCD-X, and they were all around excellent - very hard to fault - but, once again, they lacked that certain magic that I experienced with the older LCD-X, so off they went. I am currently awaiting delivery on a pair of LCD-3, hoping they deliver the goods. At the price, even on the B-stock sale, I am expecting a lot, but we shall see. I have also experimented with the infinitely tunable DCA Open X (maybe a good entry point because they are relatively affordable, nicely built, look cool and sound very good), and the Quad ERA-1 (oh, how I wanted those gorgeous headphones to be ‘the ones’), but ultimately I could not find a permanent spot in my stable for either - the DCA’s for no reason in particular, they really are a good all around headphone and with the included tuning kit are quite versatile, and the Quads because they had a lacked that last bit of bass slam I wanted. I haven’t tried ZMF - although they are obviously beautiful works of art, I cannot comment on their sound.

At the end of the day, all of those headphones have come and gone, and I’m listening to my RS-1e’s right now.

All of the above are just MY subjective observations, in my home on my system with my music. None of it is intended to gainsay anyone else’s informed opinion, invalidate any buying decision or impugn the judgment of anyone who disagrees with me. I’ve been listening to music seriously for more than 50 years. I don’t do or believe in any kind of measuring or formal testing. I put on whatever it is that I’m listening to and either I like it or I don’t. Sometimes I know why, other times I can’t put my finger on it. Still other times, I change my mind later on, one way or another. So take it for what it’s worth.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.
The best tuned Audeze headphone is probably LCD-R. I loved those. But they all break.
All Hifiman are boring and lifeless.

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #57,493 of 65,770
The best tuned Audeze headphone is probably LCD-R. I loved those. But they all break.
All Hifiman are boring and lifeless.
I’ve heard that the R has some issues - I’d love to hear one, I’ve always loved the sound of ribbon loudspeakers.

Nov 19, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #57,494 of 65,770
Grados don't really go on sale do they? Even from authorized vendors.
They do! At the North Pole.
Bought 225e and Rs2e and SR80e last year. 50% off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back