Grado Fan Club!
Nov 19, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #57,511 of 65,769
Just to balance out the RS2x love - they were very fast, and had a nice bite in the treble/upper mids (if you want laser-like guitars then these are great) but overall quite bright and fatiguing for me. No big difference in soundstage between them and the RS1x (L pads are L pads, at the end of the day). Something about the bass on the RS2x didn’t work for me either, better at handing sub bass than their pricier sibling, but it felt like I wasn’t getting all the information from bass instruments. Basically - a bit more rumble/nice head vibrations, but a less complete picture down there (fwiw to add context - I enjoy the bass on the RS1x, with L pads no less, the only time I feel I’m missing out is on any tracks that have prominent sub bass ala some EDM).

Anyway, the above isn’t to slate the RS2x, as I found them fun, they look great, and they really were fast and added an enjoyable crispness and bite to tracks, but for extended listening the RS1x were my preference.

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #57,512 of 65,769
I admit it's largely that my current hunt is for... a Hemp++. Something (any brand, really) that offers the kind of warm, musical experience the Hemp does just an upgraded version of it. Though I'm starting to suspect no such headphone exists haha

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #57,513 of 65,769
I admit it's largely that my current hunt is for... a Hemp++. Something (any brand, really) that offers the kind of warm, musical experience the Hemp does just an upgraded version of it. Though I'm starting to suspect no such headphone exists haha
The limited edition GH-2 and the erstwhile PS500e…🤷🏻‍♂️

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #57,514 of 65,769
What would you guys recommend as a good first-buy to get into the Grado club? I have personally heard the SR60 and SR125 before (I believe it was the e version for both) and I enjoyed the both of them. There are a lot of SR60/80/125 available second hand. Are there any revisions to avoid (between no letter, i, e and x)? I know I don't enjoy the cables much on the latest x versions (that sort of stiff nylon mesh) but that's about it.

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #57,516 of 65,769
What would you guys recommend as a good first-buy to get into the Grado club? I have personally heard the SR60 and SR125 before (I believe it was the e version for both) and I enjoyed the both of them. There are a lot of SR60/80/125 available second hand. Are there any revisions to avoid (between no letter, i, e and x)? I know I don't enjoy the cables much on the latest x versions (that sort of stiff nylon mesh) but that's about it.
sr80, imo, any revision.

Nov 19, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #57,517 of 65,769
How do you like the Atrium compared to Grado?

To my ears, the sound signature of the Atrium is similar with the Hemp, but the Atrium are a good notch above the Hemp at every levels.

Hemp++ = ZMF Atrium if you have the budget

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #57,518 of 65,769
Nov 19, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #57,519 of 65,769
To my ears, the sound signature of the Atrium is similar with the Hemp, but the Atrium are a good notch above the Hemp at every levels.

Hemp++ = ZMF Atrium if you have the budget
Sheeoooo. Let's call that my pipe dream headphone for someday later. I've always wanted something ZMF, so this solidifies which.

maybe that's it. i just won't upgrade until I have the funds for that bad boy.

Nov 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #57,520 of 65,769
Sheeoooo. Let's call that my pipe dream headphone for someday later. I've always wanted something ZMF, so this solidifies which.

maybe that's it. i just won't upgrade until I have the funds for that bad boy.

The Atrium is a very special headphone, but man it's hard to beat the Hemp for $469.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #57,521 of 65,769
The Atrium is a very special headphone, but man it's hard to beat the Hemp for $469.
Unless it's the SR325x

That being said, there is probably a reason Grado calls their sales site, "4 our Ears".

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #57,522 of 65,769
Unless it's the SR325x

That being said, there is probably a reason Grado calls their sales site, "4 our Ears".
I think this one mostly just comes down to taste. I haven't heard the 325x but unless it's WILDLY different to the rest of the SR line I admit I prefer the Hempo.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #57,523 of 65,769
Just to balance out the RS2x love - they were very fast, and had a nice bite in the treble/upper mids (if you want laser-like guitars then these are great) but overall quite bright and fatiguing for me. No big difference in soundstage between them and the RS1x (L pads are L pads, at the end of the day). Something about the bass on the RS2x didn’t work for me either, better at handing sub bass than their pricier sibling, but it felt like I wasn’t getting all the information from bass instruments. Basically - a bit more rumble/nice head vibrations, but a less complete picture down there (fwiw to add context - I enjoy the bass on the RS1x, with L pads no less, the only time I feel I’m missing out is on any tracks that have prominent sub bass ala some EDM).

Anyway, the above isn’t to slate the RS2x, as I found them fun, they look great, and they really were fast and added an enjoyable crispness and bite to tracks, but for extended listening the RS1x were my preference.
I agree 100%. Much better headphone in my opinion, based on my system and based on my listening preferences. Not close....

Leo

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #57,524 of 65,769
I think this one mostly just comes down to taste. I haven't heard the 325x but unless it's WILDLY different to the rest of the SR line I admit I prefer the Hempo.
This may be of use

Headfonia - review and comparison of SR325x and SR80x

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #57,525 of 65,769
That’s curse of this hobby; never satisfied.😁
I’m very pleased my Hemps. There’s nothing wrong at Hemps sound for me. I enjoy music a lot with them. A lot.
But, ”maybe better ampification??” 👀🤣

If sound pleases it’s wise to just enjoy for music. Sitting down, close your eyes and relax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back