Grado Fan Club!
Nov 15, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #57,406 of 65,920
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #57,408 of 65,920
Hi everyone, i had Grado rs2e and bought a new hifiman ef400 amp, how can I connect my grado rs2e to the balanced connection of my hifiman ef400 amp? is there a converter for this? Thank you.
As mentioned, can't go from SE to balanced with an adapter, only the opposite.
Cut the SE termination off and solder a 4-pin balanced XLR connector on the RS2e, then make a 4-pin to SE adapter to use unbalanced.

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #57,409 of 65,920
In that vein …. the combination of the classic limited edition GH-2 is a natural with Liquid Platinum (Valvo E88CCs in use) - even through the SE headphone outlet, though the signal is coming through the back XLRs: 🥲
6A5B0F1A-9FCF-479D-909F-9C406E3FDCB1.jpeg

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #57,410 of 65,920
Hello everyone, been reading this thread for a while after hearing lots of good things about the Grado Hemps.

I've had a pair of SR60 since 2007, and I still like them quite a lot; about 8 or so years ago, I got a pair of SR325i that I like for a lot of music but I find quite fatiguing; I got a small tube amp that helped with toning down the highs, but I have been wishing for a headphone with similar energy but a little less aggression on the high end. Still, I really like mids in headphones, and Grados seem to be among the best at dealing with that, so I've never lost interest in them.

Reading and listening to some Hemp reviews it seems like a fantastic option for what I'm looking for, the trouble is, some of the reviews talk about it as being quite warm compared to the usual Grado signature (and I would not mind that), other say the highs are very pronounced, so I am confused. If any of you has/had the 325i and could tell me how they compare, that would be great, been looking into the past posts but struggled to find this specific comparison.

Also - the GW100 seem like a very nice BT option; curious to hear some opinions of current users as how it holds up, since now it's been 4 years since release.

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #57,412 of 65,920
I have a very similar story, if you decided Grado is something you like, I would recommend looking into RS2e, preowned you can pick one up for couple hundred. Much more mature sound when comparing to 325 or Hemp IMHO
Prior to hearing the raves about the Hemp the RS2 was definitely in my radar, but finding an older one used in Europe is not exactly easy, that's why the lower cost option seemed appealing to me. But I am still considering the RS2x, it's definitely more expensive than the Hemp around here but not by a massive amount... the tone of some of the Hemp reviews makes it sound like they punch above their price range, that's kind of the interesting thing about them.

Nov 16, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #57,413 of 65,920
So after a few weeks with the HiFiMan XS, which I still maintain are absolutely stunning headphones, the clarion call of the Grado Hemp brought me back and I'm somewhat sad to report that the XS will have to go back. It's a funny thing, I would say the XS is "better" in terms of technical performance but when it comes to making me just close my eyes and melt into the music the Hemp has that gold medal by a pretty solid margin lol

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #57,414 of 65,920
So after a few weeks with the HiFiMan XS, which I still maintain are absolutely stunning headphones, the clarion call of the Grado Hemp brought me back and I'm somewhat sad to report that the XS will have to go back. It's a funny thing, I would say the XS is "better" in terms of technical performance but when it comes to making me just close my eyes and melt into the music the Hemp has that gold medal by a pretty solid margin lol

That was my experience with the XS; it was excellent in every way...yet somehow it didn't click, so I returned it and bought my RS1x.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #57,415 of 65,920
Prior to hearing the raves about the Hemp the RS2 was definitely in my radar, but finding an older one used in Europe is not exactly easy, that's why the lower cost option seemed appealing to me. But I am still considering the RS2x, it's definitely more expensive than the Hemp around here but not by a massive amount... the tone of some of the Hemp reviews makes it sound like they punch above their price range, that's kind of the interesting thing about them.
I’ve auditioned the RS1x, RS2x and Hemp. I have the SR325i and recently acquired the RS2e after having heard the above noted offerings. To me the RS2e is the best Grado in the entire RS lineup, past and present, unless of course you listen to EDM. You won’t find one in excellent condition under US$350. Good luck!!

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #57,416 of 65,920
That was my experience with the XS; it was excellent in every way...yet somehow it didn't click, so I returned it and bought my RS1x.
It's weird because aside from some minor niggles I can't pick out anything wrong with the XS, it just doesn't "sing" to me like the Hemp does. I'm absolutely going to miss that huge, spacious sound thanks to those massive drivers and ear cups but in the end what matters most isn't what has the best measurements, it's what makes me enjoy my music the most lol

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #57,420 of 65,920
'
Preowned RS2e without a doubt!! see my post earlier today!!!
@Saudan, have you compared both the E and the X versions? Why do you prefer the E version in terms of sound signature and/or value proposition?

Thanks

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back