Grado Fan Club!
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #57,271 of 65,587
For those who like to mix it up a bit and pad roll, try out the Yaxi pads on the 80x's ( may be good for others as well ) not the Yaxi pads for the grado but the ones for the Koss porta pro as they are slightly smaller but do fit ok and make the part covering the driver thinner than stock pads and Yaxi grado pads and create a slight concave over the driver, very comfortable and the results are very good, low end is tight and punchy with no bleed into the mids, vocals clear and top end good as well, a surprisingly good little mod for those interested 👍
20221022_102356.jpg20221022_103305.jpg
Will using the portapro pads on the Grados stretch them out over time? I'd like to be able to swap them back and forth between the two

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #57,272 of 65,587
I think my 325is (about 2014-ish) is a bit brighter and cleaner than my previous 325e. It seems Grado may be trying to pacify the "Grado's hurt my ears" crowd because it feels like each new line is incrementally moving to a darker sound.

I think over time, as more people directly compare x-series models to their e-series predecessors, general sentiment may change about the x-series in general. Grado claims the x-series is an improvement, and perhaps the SR80x's warmer signature is more pleasing to the general public. But in a straight-up comparison with the same pads, I feel some of the magic soundstage and clarity has been lost, and this hurts the midrange models the most. The i-series was launched in 2007, and the e-series was launched in 2014, so Grado will probably stick with the x-series through 2028.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #57,274 of 65,587
I think over time, as more people directly compare x-series models to their e-series predecessors, general sentiment may change about the x-series in general. Grado claims the x-series is an improvement, and perhaps the SR80x's warmer signature is more pleasing to the general public. But in a straight-up comparison with the same pads, I feel some of the magic soundstage and clarity has been lost, and this hurts the midrange models the most. The i-series was launched in 2007, and the e-series was launched in 2014, so Grado will probably stick with the x-series through 2028.

And in 2028, maybe we'll be treated to an anniversary model or two, as with the 50th anniversary SR325 in 2003?

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #57,275 of 65,587
And in 2028, maybe we'll be treated to an anniversary model or two, as with the 50th anniversary SR325 in 2003?
50th anniversary model with a detachable cable? :thinking:

who am I kidding... ?

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #57,276 of 65,587
50th anniversary model with a detachable cable? :thinking:

who am I kidding... ?
Or a 50mm detachable cable - no headphone for it….😲🤣….

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #57,277 of 65,587
Today I tested the GW100. I was surprised how good they were. Even though the low and upper lows was emphasized I was literaly enjoying the ambient/soundstage even though it was small, but wow.

I m going to test there more expensive ones, I am a fan

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #57,278 of 65,587
Today I tested the GW100. I was surprised how good they were. Even though the low and upper lows was emphasized I was literaly enjoying the ambient/soundstage even though it was small, but wow.

I m going to test there more expensive ones, I am a fan
Besides all my other Grados I do have a GW100 and am happy with the overall sound and comfort. Not really taxing it as I mostly use it for audible books but it does nicely with music. Good deal for for the price. If listening with it wired it does improve the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #57,279 of 65,587
Just wanted to give a little love to the GS3000X. If you've seen me on other threads, I'm sure this isn't a surprise. At $2k USD, I would say these are a bargain! Fabulous headphone. I've had a number of Grado's and will keep them all. I love the company, but these are truly the TOTL of the Grado heritage. I highly recommend them. YMMV.....

Leo

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #57,280 of 65,587
Just wanted to give a little love to the GS3000X. If you've seen me on other threads, I'm sure this isn't a surprise. At $2k USD, I would say these are a bargain! Fabulous headphone. I've had a number of Grado's and will keep them all. I love the company, but these are truly the TOTL of the Grado heritage. I highly recommend them. YMMV.....

Leo

All the posts about the GS3000x are rekindling my temptation to buy it. I went to the Audio46 shop while I was in New York, and fortunately/unfortunately they didn’t have a demo unit to audition. The store had 1 available for purchase, but can’t justify without listening.

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #57,281 of 65,587
All the posts about the GS3000x are rekindling my temptation to buy it. I went to the Audio46 shop while I was in New York, and fortunately/unfortunately they didn’t have a demo unit to audition. The store had 1 available for purchase, but can’t justify without listening.
Well, if you like Grado, you'll love the GS3000X. Sorry for your wallet!

LOL

Leo

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #57,282 of 65,587
Or a 50mm detachable cable - no headphone for it….😲🤣….
Lol! The cable is all that matters anyway.

FWIW, at this moment, and for this moment, my pad-rolling for the RS-1e has finally come to a successful conclusion. I ruled out all of the original grado sponges, upside down, right side up, jumbo or flat, on comfort grounds alone. Plus, for me, the bowls were too piercing and the bagels too dull (and too problematic with my specs, which I’d important because I often like to read while I listen.

The 3rd and final version of the Dekoni custom Grado pads arrived today (full velour), and my immediate impression is that they’re awesome. Of course, I would have preferred leather, but neither of the leather options sounded right TO ME IN MY SYSTEM - solid sheepskin had way too much bass, and fenestrated sheepskin were beautiful sounding but felt a little soft in the bottom, like they were pulling their punches. That might not be a problem for some with different systems, cans, ears, experiences, tastes, but once I heard it, I couldn’t unhear it. These all velour pads, about half the price of the sheepskin versions, are somehow sonically right in between. Great balance, clarity and definition, with plenty of bass punch. And SO comfortable!

I was getting ready to give up on these Grados, but now I’m pretty sure they’re keepers. Gotta try everything, and you can only determine this stuff empirically, for yourself. No one else can predict what will or won’t work for you. Certainly not a bunch of loonies like us who don’t even know you personally .

Moral of this story: Be prepared to have an open mind, try everything that appeals to you, and enjoy the ride.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum

79FF8980-8AF3-4886-9C16-A593D35BDC0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #57,285 of 65,587
Interesting how the choice of material makes all the difference.
…trying to strike a balance between sound absorption vs sound reflection…directionality / imaging vs omnidirectionality / soundstage..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back