Grado Fan Club!
Oct 31, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #57,242 of 65,724
Is there any wood that guitar polish canā€™t make pretty?

4A5BD0CA-9A47-4C0C-8976-F935756FDE6E.jpeg

šŸŽøšŸ¤©šŸŽø

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #57,245 of 65,724
GradoFamilyPic.jpeg

Grado Family pic (minus vintage RS-2 button that is being repaired by Grado):

RS-2e - with ZMF pads
Grado wood cup mock kit with SR80 drivers + ZMF pads
Hemps - turbulent labs headband + ZMF pads + mini-XLR cable mod
SR325 OG - turbulent labs headband + ZMF pads + mini-XLR cable mod
SR325x - turbulent labs headband + ZMF pads
GS3000 mock kit - mmxc removable cable mod + Dekoni pads
GS1000i - turbulent labs headband + mini-XLR cable mod + ZMF pads

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #57,246 of 65,724
GradoFamilyPic.jpeg

RS-2e - with ZMF pads

Absolutely love the chrome 325is. My second Grado purchase was a 325is from Amazon, and they were still using chrome in the stock photo. Gotta admit I was a little disappointed to get the later, more common, metallic gray painted variety. Sounded fantastic though!

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #57,247 of 65,724
Absolutely love the chrome 325is. My second Grado purchase was a 325is from Amazon, and they were still using chrome in the stock photo. Gotta admit I was a little disappointed to get the later, more common, metallic gray painted variety. Sounded fantastic though!
I don't know what it is .. but that Chrome SR325 has some magic to it. Very airy, open and great soundstage -- even after I almost melted the driver while doing the removable cable mod.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #57,249 of 65,724
Still messing with pads on the RS-1e. Ugh! So far the favorite is, much to my surprise and dismay, the ā€˜reverse L padā€™. It seems to bring out the bass and lessen the (potentially) troublesome lower treble peak while retaining all the detail and intimacy I got these for in the first place. The aftermarket g-types sound very nice and are comfy, but they may have smoothed things over a bit too much. The Dekoni full sheepskins were super comfortable, and that are bass cannons, but WAY too much so - all I could hear was the bass and it was frankly annoying after a short time. Theyā€™re on their way back. Today I received the fenestrated sheepskin Dekonis, and I thought for certain theyā€™d be it. They do, in fact, sound quite lovely. BUT, Iā€™m a royal pain in the @$$. I quickly began to feel that they went too far in the other direction and, ever so slightly, pulled their punches on the bass - a big no-no for me. I suspect that if they were 1/4ā€ less deep theyā€™d be perfect (because pushing them ever do slightly closer to my ear improved the bass ā€˜tractionā€™) but, alas, much as I wanted them to be the ones, they are back in the box and likely soon to be returned. I ordered a set of the Dekoni all velour pads, which are supposed to (somehow) come out between the fenestrated and the non, so I suppose weā€™ll still give those a try, but I kinda wanted sheepskin. All hail Amazonā€™s no hassle return policy.

Anyway, obviously I started reading this that and the other thing and, while I have no intention of putting scotch tape around the outside of the L pads, I was willing to try them upside down and - lo and behold! - the rich, detailed, dynamic balanced sound of which I knew these cans were capable! I donā€™t know yet if this is a long term solution or not, but my immediate reaction is both astonishment and relief. These headphones certainly have great potential, but I have to say, Iā€™m workinā€™ WAY too hard for it.

The foregoing are merely my own subjective observations, set forth for my own entertainment and, since my sanity is highly questionable even at the best of times, may not apply to anyone elseā€™s reality. No animals were harmed.

So it goesā€¦

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #57,250 of 65,724
GradoFamilyPic.jpeg

RS-2e - with ZMF pads
I see a pattern here... "+ ZMF pads".
Gotta try these. Will add a pair to my Caldera order :wink:

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #57,251 of 65,724
I see a pattern here... "+ ZMF pads".
Gotta try these. Will add a pair to my Caldera order :wink:
Game changer IMO. Grados are my daily drivers now for work. Every Grado pad would hurt my ears over time or would just not rest properly on my ears/head (it might be a me thing). But the ZMF pads are comfy, tames the highs a bit, and bumpt the soundstage a bit as well. You do loose a bit of detail, but I think the tradeoffs are net positive for my taste/use case. I reccommend going with the large adapter + the Beyer lambskin pads.
Also - can't wait to get my hands on a Caldera ... but will need to sell something .. I've got 4 ZMFs as well.... a 5th might be a bit nutty.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #57,252 of 65,724
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #57,254 of 65,724
Still messing with pads on the RS-1e. Ugh! So far the favorite is, much to my surprise and dismay, the ā€˜reverse L padā€™. It seems to bring out the bass and lessen the (potentially) troublesome lower treble peak while retaining all the detail and intimacy I got these for in the first place. The aftermarket g-types sound very nice and are comfy, but they may have smoothed things over a bit too much. The Dekoni full sheepskins were super comfortable, and that are bass cannons, but WAY too much so - all I could hear was the bass and it was frankly annoying after a short time. Theyā€™re on their way back. Today I received the fenestrated sheepskin Dekonis, and I thought for certain theyā€™d be it. They do, in fact, sound quite lovely. BUT, Iā€™m a royal pain in the @$$. I quickly began to feel that they went too far in the other direction and, ever so slightly, pulled their punches on the bass - a big no-no for me. I suspect that if they were 1/4ā€ less deep theyā€™d be perfect (because pushing them ever do slightly closer to my ear improved the bass ā€˜tractionā€™) but, alas, much as I wanted them to be the ones, they are back in the box and likely soon to be returned. I ordered a set of the Dekoni all velour pads, which are supposed to (somehow) come out between the fenestrated and the non, so I suppose weā€™ll still give those a try, but I kinda wanted sheepskin. All hail Amazonā€™s no hassle return policy.

Anyway, obviously I started reading this that and the other thing and, while I have no intention of putting scotch tape around the outside of the L pads, I was willing to try them upside down and - lo and behold! - the rich, detailed, dynamic balanced sound of which I knew these cans were capable! I donā€™t know yet if this is a long term solution or not, but my immediate reaction is both astonishment and relief. These headphones certainly have great potential, but I have to say, Iā€™m workinā€™ WAY too hard for it.

The foregoing are merely my own subjective observations, set forth for my own entertainment and, since my sanity is highly questionable even at the best of times, may not apply to anyone elseā€™s reality. No animals were harmed.

So it goesā€¦

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.
Hate to quote/bump my own post, but obviously it was too verbose to be read, or too stupid to be responded too.

Either way, the short version is, without making me read through 57,225 previous posts, anyone have any luck turning the L pads upside down? Itā€™s mentioned briefly in the very short old Grado tweak thread, but thatā€™s all I see.

Thanks.

Neil

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #57,255 of 65,724
Hi All:

I bought a GS3000e, but I am starting to wonder whether it is a fake. Ie, the wood looks gorgeous, but it sounds thin and is not much of an improvement over my RS1x.

I bought it on eBay, but via a reputable dealer. I can still return it if need be.

First of all, should it be a big improvement over my RS1x?

The headband is in great condition and has white stitching, implying that it was a recent manufacture. But the headphone is beat up; the left and right painted indicators are worn off of the rodblocks. The rods on the gimbals are loose. The black grill paint is worn off in some areas.

It came with real G cushions - which admittedly are an upgrade from the generics that I have. It sounds spacious with the Gs.

It has better dynamics and a bit more bass than my RS1x. But I expected more spaciousness and layering, let alone a softer, richer, more nuanced midrange than the RS1x.

My RS1x has serial numbers written on both drivers, but the GS3000e doesn't. It does have serial numbers on the box though (I will confirm them with Grado).

I got a decent deal, and I am not that concerned with aesthetics. But I expected a bigger bump in performance, let alone I didn't expect the thinness.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those of you who have a GS3000e, let alone also an RS1x?

Thanks!

Update:

With a change in pads, I now have just what I had hoped to get; improvements across the board.

I agree with @jonathan c; the RS1x is perhaps 90% of the GS3000e. But that is across every attribute - slightly better bass, slightly better dynamics, slightly better soundstaging, slightly better layering, slightly more resolution, and a slightly more palpable midrange. It all adds up to the total clear bump in performance that I had hoped to get. Wow - it is really easy to get lost in the music with these things.

I ended up finding matching serial numbers on the drivers and the box, and I am convinced the unit is legit. Some of the parts are a bit beat up, which is what made me think I had a FrankenGrado. But after a discussion with Grado, I will send the unit in for some refurbishing. It is worth the effort.

So I guess what I am trying to say here is thanks for the input, and apologies for the drama...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back