Grado Fan Club!
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #57,256 of 65,724
Update:

With a change in pads, I now have just what I had hoped to get; improvements across the board.

I agree with @jonathan c; the RS1x is perhaps 90% of the GS3000e. But that is across every attribute - slightly better bass, slightly better dynamics, slightly better soundstaging, slightly better layering, slightly more resolution, and a slightly more palpable midrange. It all adds up to the total clear bump in performance that I had hoped to get. Wow - it is really easy to get lost in the music with these things.

I ended up finding matching serial numbers on the drivers and the box, and I am convinced the unit is legit. Some of the parts are a bit beat up, which is what made me think I had a FrankenGrado. But after a discussion with Grado, I will send the unit in for some refurbishing. It is worth the effort.

So I guess what I am trying to say here is thanks for the input, and apologies for the drama...
Change in pads to what?

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #57,257 of 65,724
Hate to quote/bump my own post, but obviously it was too verbose to be read, or too stupid to be responded too.

Either way, the short version is, without making me read through 57,225 previous posts, anyone have any luck turning the L pads upside down? It’s mentioned briefly in the very short old Grado tweak thread, but that’s all I see.

Thanks.

Neil
One of our buddies uses the G pads backwards. Can't remember anyone discussing backward L pads...

Leo

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #57,258 of 65,724
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #57,259 of 65,724
Hate to quote/bump my own post, but obviously it was too verbose to be read, or too stupid to be responded too.

Either way, the short version is, without making me read through 57,225 previous posts, anyone have any luck turning the L pads upside down? It’s mentioned briefly in the very short old Grado tweak thread, but that’s all I see.

Thanks.

Neil

Just tried on my PS500e - seemed fine and looked weird! The bass increased and there was maybe less of that bleeding into the mids than with F pads. My ears were too close to the drivers to be comfortable though.

On that note, I’ve been enjoying these with the aforementioned headphones (the ‘Black 4’ variant) after cutting out the thin mesh on them. Good bass improvement and beefier mids than L pads, but a bit more clarity (and a lot more comfortable) than Fs. Wouldn’t rate them as a must try/own, but fun for anyone looking for the next cheap pad option (recommended with Turnstile’s Glow On)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #57,260 of 65,724
Change in pads to what?

I am using the same "Black 4" fabric/leather hybrid as MaiLam below.

The key is that it is NOT memory foam, so it is much more transparent in the mids and bass.

I also have a pair on my PS500e, and they are a fantastic match as well.

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #57,261 of 65,724
Coming up on 1 week with my GH4 that I bought after demoing the x-series models at the Grado booth at Toronto AudioFest.

After my beater SR225i went out of commission, it's nice to finally have another model I can just take around and enjoy without messing with any extra stuff. This can plug in directly to a phone or old portable CD player with a 3.5mm jack and still sound great to me, something that can't be said with my GS3000e or Hemp. I'm not sure how long Grado Canada will stock the old 44mm drivers for service/repair purposes, so these will be babied more. I'll need to find a good travel case for them that doesn't compress the headband much, as I like it very wide.

Comfort is great. With a very wide headband, the GH4 (180g) is significantly more comfortable than my GS3000e (330g) even with the L pads. The GS3000e weight is OK for me but I would say it's at my upper tolerance limit, which is why the GS3000x (400g) was out of the question.

As an experiment, I put the G pads on the GH4 and attempted to EQ it to match the sound of my GS3000e. This was something I tried earlier with the Hemp. I got closer this time, but the GH4 just couldn't quite replicate the GS3000e. The GS3000e just sounded fuller and wider. It was clear that the larger cup size, wood type (cocobolo vs. Norway pine), and drivers on the GS3000e were doing something that the GH4 wasn't. It's like how you can't EQ Apple Airpods to sound like a Stax. In addition, the overall volume was less with the G pads, which meant I had to feed it more power. And the GH4's drivers struggled with this, as I could hear some distortion in the midbass. The GS3000e, on the other hand, was able to dig deep and deliver the midbass with no noticeable distortion. Perhaps this is why Grado changed their drivers on the GS/PS models (except PS500e) to 50mm, so that they could deliver more bass without distorting. With the L pads and the same amount of power, the GH4 is way too loud, so this wouldn't happen at stock.

Overall, the GH4 is an absolute keeper, though I feel a bit of sadness as the GH4 may be the last model I buy new if Grado continues to push their x-series sound signature moving forward. I'm not the only person who feels this way, as rasmushorn preferred the SR225e over the SR225x and felt the same way as me on some things, such as the detail and clarity difference.
I also like the GH4 very much, having heard and owned several different models over several years - - - I liked the 325e much more than the 325x (which I sold),

I'm not a fan of the RS1x (though I still greatly enjoy the RS1i), and
the PS500 is still one of my favorites - and still in production per their website...

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #57,262 of 65,724
I also like the GH4 very much, having heard and owned several different models over several years - - - I liked the 325e much more than the 325x (which I sold),

I'm not a fan of the RS1x (though I still greatly enjoy the RS1i), and
the PS500 is still one of my favorites - and still in production per their website...
I like the 325x but I like my OG 325 much more. I've heard the RS-1x and preferred the older button version I had (well, at least from what I recall)

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #57,263 of 65,724
The pair of 325e I won on ebay showed up today, after about an hour of listening I think I am a little disappointed. I bought them for my wife but they seem to outperform my 225x so I might have to give her my 225x and keep the 325e for myself. They seem more full bodied and musical, which astounded me since I love the 225x, I wasn't expecting the 325e to be better but they are. :gs1000smile:

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #57,264 of 65,724
The pair of 325e I won on ebay showed up today, after about an hour of listening I think I am a little disappointed. I bought them for my wife but they seem to outperform my 225x so I might have to give her my 225x and keep the 325e for myself. They seem more full bodied and musical, which astounded me since I love the 225x, I wasn't expecting the 325e to be better but they are. :gs1000smile:
we are disappointed becuase they are good?

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #57,265 of 65,724
:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #57,266 of 65,724
One of our buddies uses the G pads backwards. Can't remember anyone discussing backward L pads...

Leo
Wow, trying to imagine what a reverse would look like on the phone. My mind’s eye 👁 image is looking awfully strange.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #57,267 of 65,724
The important thing is that you tell Mrs Whispers "I bought these old ones so I could give you my other ones which are the newer BETTER model. 😁"

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #57,269 of 65,724
I didn't expect the 325e to make the 225x seem muddy. Not really a complaint, I just need to buy myself a set of 325e now. I guess I prefer the sound of the e series over the x.
I really like my 325e also. They concede nothing to my Hemps.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #57,270 of 65,724
I think my 325is (about 2014-ish) is a bit brighter and cleaner than my previous 325e. It seems Grado may be trying to pacify the "Grado's hurt my ears" crowd because it feels like each new line is incrementally moving to a darker sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back