Grado Fan Club!
Mar 31, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #51,871 of 65,858
You either bought those used, as a demo unit or were told they were BNIB without seeing them. And if you were told they were BNIB, after seeing them in that condition why then wouldn't you have immediately brought them back to the dealer? I know I would've immediately brought them right back to the dealer and asked for another pair and let them take it up with Grado, but you accepted them in this condition and chose to contact Grado instead of your dealer which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

something-smells-fishy-fishy-smell.gif
I agree with Joseph69, he described the typical route to take if something as you described was the situation in this case.

You don’t seem to mention any interaction (other than you returned them to him) with the dealer who sold them to you and would be totally responsible for what got sent to you and should have gladly taken care of you. It is his responsibility to correct any errors as the authorized dealer for Grado and that was what you should have done.

As in almost all electronics you do not get an international warranty but a warranty for your area which is obviously outside the United States.

They do this to protect and support their local markets. Otherwise everyone would buy where the pricing is best and take the item out of the country.

Instead you choose to paint the manufacturer as the problem. This is a very old story that still pops up it’s ugly head.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #51,872 of 65,858
I saw there are 2 versions: 9V battery powered, and AC powered (actually, DC powered with an AC-to-DC walwart).
Any consensus as to which is better?
The AC-DC version is an unusual split rail design that goes to a DIN connector. As the RA-1 is discontinued and if your AC adapter ever goes up, it would probably be impossible to buy an off-the-shelf replacement. It's also very large. I received the AC one in trade and have the hideous wall-wart but I'm building a regulated version to replace it:

1648770164044.jpeg

The 9V battery version should be better as it will have cleaner power. You'd probably want to get rechargeables to keep the cost down. Happy hunting! :)

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #51,873 of 65,858
Hi, do you have the serial number or a photo of the product box that the RS1e was in?, that would allow a better assessment of the actual age of the pair you received from the dealer. I think that your problem is actually an issue with your local dealer. Not for you to mention the dealers name but it really sounds more like they sent you an older piece that they had, perhaps a demo or B-stock seeing the damage in the few photos you shared. I look forward to you sending that serial number if you have it and a picture of the Grado box which I am sure you should have.

BTW, where is the dealer located (country)?

As we all know "perfection" is allusive at best. Having been a Grado dealer for many years in my previous retail audio life I sold hundreds of Grados and never had one piece that had issues anywhere close to what you showed? Were they all pristine? Actually yes with very few exceptions and those were minimal and quickly taken care of by Grado Labs.

Please send any other pictures, especially the box.

Thanks
You either bought those used, as a demo unit or were told they were BNIB without seeing them. And if you were told they were BNIB, after seeing them in that condition why then wouldn't you have immediately brought them back to the dealer? I know I would've immediately brought them right back to the dealer and asked for another pair and let them take it up with Grado, but you accepted them in this condition and chose to contact Grado instead of your dealer which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

something-smells-fishy-fishy-smell.gif

First of all, let me clarify.
I bought the RS1e from local dealer in Thailand via their online store.
This dealer has sold the Grado's products for long time (almost 10 years++).

Since I bought it online, I haven't had a chance to open the headphone once I got the item.
I confirm, the box was sealed and new in box, not demo unit. But I don't know if it would be the B stock.
So, I asked the dealer to refund and sent the RS1e back. They provided me the 100% refund and "very very very" good customer service.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of its serial number. I missed. But I have the date of purchase on receipt of it.
I bought the GS2000e on this dealer and no any scratches or issues. It's 100% perfect.

Then, I sent the RS1e photos to Grado about that scratches and asked them about X series via email.
"Could you please let me know the scratches/imperfected part of RS1e (see attached pics) has been solved on X series?"

That's the real story. I would like to give the feedback to Grado to improve their QC and to know any same problems on X series.
They replied me as you can see "we cannot guarantee that any of our products will meet your high expectations".

This headphone is not just USD100. It's USD700. It sets high expectations for me.

If you get the $700 RS1e as mine, what should you do? Keep it?
I plan to buy the RS1x. But I have no confident to buy it that's why I asked GRADO.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #51,874 of 65,858
First of all, let me clarify.
I bought the RS1e from local dealer in Thailand via their online store.
This dealer has sold the Grado's products for long time (almost 10 years++).

Since I bought it online, I haven't had a chance to open the headphone once I got the item.
I confirm, the box was sealed and new in box, not demo unit. But I don't know if it would be the B stock.
So, I asked the dealer to refund and sent the RS1e back. They provided me the 100% refund and "very very very" good customer service.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of its serial number. I missed. But I have the date of purchase on receipt of it.
I bought the GS2000e on this dealer and no any scratches or issues. It's 100% perfect.

Then, I sent the RS1e photos to Grado about that scratches and asked them about X series via email.
"Could you please let me know the scratches/imperfected part of RS1e (see attached pics) has been solved on X series?"

That's the real story. I would like to give the feedback to Grado to improve their QC and to know any same problems on X series.
They replied me as you can see "we cannot guarantee that any of our products will meet your high expectations".

This headphone is not just USD100. It's USD700. It sets high expectations for me.

If you get the $700 RS1e as mine, what should you do? Keep it?
I plan to buy the RS1x. But I have no confident to buy it that's why I asked GRADO.
Humor me, describe what the box you had looked like or send better yet send along a photo as I am sure you would have sent that photo to Grado along with all the other photos of situation.

Hand made products may sometimes get out the door with an unnoticed blemish. In such a situation you would again reach out to the dealer that sold it to you. As an authorized dealer it would be his responsibility to take care of you unless there were other issues.

There is no way a headphone in that condition would ever get shipped out of Grado Labs. Possibly a small blem as I mentioned, no one is perfect but NO Way that left Grado in that shape.
Grado’s staff know their job very well and some of them have been there 30 years and more. They also take pride in what they do and how the business has grown.

Since you returned the headphone to the selling dealer you just need to call him to get the serial number.

That would be VERY helpful in this case.

Looking forward to one of the above.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #51,875 of 65,858
Humor me, describe what the box you had looked like or send better yet send along a photo as I am sure you would have sent that photo to Grado along with all the other photos of situation.

Hand made products may sometimes get out the door with an unnoticed blemish. In such a situation you would again reach out to the dealer that sold it to you. As an authorized dealer it would be his responsibility to take care of you unless there were other issues.

There is no way a headphone in that condition would ever get shipped out of Grado Labs. Possibly a small blem as I mentioned, no one is perfect but NO Way that left Grado in that shape.
Grado’s staff know their job very well and some of them have been there 30 years and more. They also take pride in what they do and how the business has grown.

Since you returned the headphone to the selling dealer you just need to call him to get the serial number.

That would be VERY helpful in this case.

Looking forward to one of the above.

Thanks
Yeah. I know, Grado has been there 30 years++.
That's surprise me how's the RS1e look.
The selling dealer sent the box shot to me.
The serial number is #213693305

Attachments

• IMG_6601.JPG
    IMG_6601.JPG
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6602.JPG
    IMG_6602.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #51,878 of 65,858
Yeah. I know, Grado has been there 30 years++.
That's surprise me how's the RS1e look.
The selling dealer sent the box shot to me.
The serial number is #213693305
I'm sure it's an isolated incident. Every human, and thus every company, makes mistakes. It's great to hear you found a dealer of the GS2000e and added them to your collection. Let's celebrate we're all headphone enthusiasts and music lovers here :beerchug:

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #51,879 of 65,858
Just received these pads from AliExpress. Leather earpads that fit my SR80 and RS2. Haven't tried them on GS or PS1000 but I think they may be too small anyways.

First impressions - very nice quality. Comfortable, they sit on top of my outer ear but the opening fits on top of my ear (if that makes sense).

Sonically, they definitely add some low-end to the already decent RS2. Soundstage seems affected slightly but I guess that's the tradeoff with thicker pads.

Very pleased for USD12 including shipping.
IMG_20220401_124154.jpg

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #51,880 of 65,858
Just received these pads from AliExpress. Leather earpads that fit my SR80 and RS2. Haven't tried them on GS or PS1000 but I think they may be too small anyways.

First impressions - very nice quality. Comfortable, they sit on top of my outer ear but the opening fits on top of my ear (if that makes sense).

Sonically, they definitely add some low-end to the already decent RS2. Soundstage seems affected slightly but I guess that's the tradeoff with thicker pads.

I was wrong, they fit my GS1000i perfectly but completely change the sonic qualities. Taking soundstage away by at least 70% but bass is very nice. Warmer and less detailed, definitely not what I want my GS1000i to sound like. They're gonna stay on my RS2 and SR80.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #51,881 of 65,858
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #51,882 of 65,858
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #51,883 of 65,858

Have you thought about taking out the inner black liner on the pads, see my highlight circle below? Curious if that would help matter a bit with regard to the change in sound. For another $12, experiment might be worth it :) Does this person/shop also offer non-fenestrated version?

The issue I have with all of the 3rd party luxe sheepskin/velour flavors is that they are too thick of a pad. I think the thickness of the pad is having a side effect of having the driver further from the ear, therefore, changing the sound signature too much for my liking. Kind of like how the sound changes with a good car stereo, sounds good when you are in the car but once you step out of that spot... bass is out of control and muddy, which is exactly what I am getting.

IMG_20220401_124154.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #51,884 of 65,858
Have you thought about taking out the inner black liner on the pads, see my highlight circle below? Curious if that would help matter a bit with regard to the change in sound. For another $12, experiment might be worth it :) Does this person/shop also offer non-fenestrated version?

The issue I have with all of the 3rd party luxe sheepskin/velour flavors is that they are too thick of a pad. I think the thickness of the pad is having a side effect of having the driver further from the ear, therefore, changing the sound signature too much for my liking. Kind of like how the sound changes with a good car stereo, sounds good when you are in the car but once you step out of that spot... bass is out of control and muddy, which is exactly what I am getting.

I did think about it removing that bit as well. Still experimenting but so far I still prefer the original Grado pads over these. It really dampens the treble and restricts the soundstage too much. The bonus is lots of bass and much more comfortable. I've ordered 2 more pads in larger sizes. They do vented, protein, leather and a hybrid if leather and fabric.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #51,885 of 65,858
A few posts ago, I noticed with alarm that a member here has posted a Grado Hemp that has broken apart and has sent it in for repairs. As a Grado Hemp owner myself, I would like to think of it as a rare, once-off incident.

But I saw the photos off a recently concluded auction in Japan where the seller has graciously declared upfront that the Grado Hemp on auction has cracks on the right earcup, possibly due to manufacturing defect. But I'm thinking it could also be due to exposure to weather conditions after awhile.

I'll post the link here if I may. If I do not succeed, you may search for it yourself under auction ID n1041338871 for Grado Hemp under a popular auction site in Japan. The link is here: https://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=n1041338871

From photos of the headphone shown, the earcups looks dry. Now I'm concerned whether the Hemp headphone needs to be oiled or waxed occasionally just like other wood-based headphones in the RS series and GS series. Bearing in mind that Hemp wood is not a natural wood but Hemp fibers compressed with resin, anyone here has any experience on how best to treat a processed wood like Hemp to prevent it from cracking? Any advice is most appreciated for all Grado Hemp owners here.
Hi Paul, just saw this post from earlier. My guess is that the composite is compressed before sanding and finishing, and perhaps that area did not have enough adhesive in the mix to maintain it's shape.

If it's just from being dry, Feed-N-Wax would be a gentle way to protect the headphone. It's just beeswax and orange oil, the orange oil lubricates and the wax seals. Any unsealed wood products you own should be conditioned every couple of years to prevent them from drying out. Leather too, including headphone pads. I like the Orvis leather conditioner but they are all pretty similar.

If the crack happens to your headphones, you could use wood filler to fill it in, sand and re-lacquer that area, or more easily just send it to Grado to be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back