Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #51,706 of 65,639
@mulveling good to see another old head in here. That Headroom amp really brings back the memories. I like my PS1000 with comfies and TTVJ flats. I've always found the big foam pads a little uncomfortable personally.

Bruh you could click the link but here you go :D

Steampunk-Grado-Headphones.jpg

Copper leaf (or gold/silver leaf) is super easy and fun.
You too, I recognized your handle from waaaay back, good to see you still posting here! I'll give those flat pads another try. They're not too far sonically from the reverse bowls, and fit better. For sure though, I absolutely hate the G pads in stock orientation. UGH lol.

Crazy custom Grados mod! Very cool. I think I still have (somewhere) a very nice looking mini adapter cable you made like 20 years ago - blue in black techflex - think it was for an iPod lol.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #51,707 of 65,639
You too, I recognized your handle from waaaay back, good to see you still posting here! I'll give those flat pads another try. They're not too far sonically from the reverse bowls, and fit better. For sure though, I absolutely hate the G pads in stock orientation. UGH lol.

Crazy custom Grados mod! Very cool. I think I still have (somewhere) a very nice looking mini adapter cable you made like 20 years ago - blue in black techflex - think it was for an iPod lol.
Hahah that's awesome man, how the time flies by! Back then my website was hand-coded in HTML... while it's gotten a little easier with templates and CSS it's still a pain in the tuchus. Most of my clients these days are Susvara, Audeze and Focal users. If only Grado could work out some removeable cables. :D

I finally bent tonight and ordered a Pokémon Center Grado. As mentioned I have no interest in Pokémon but I feel like it will be a fun collector's piece to look at later on. If there are only 300 of each they will likely sell out this year. Hopefully some of them are acquired by the headfi collective.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #51,708 of 65,639
Hahah that's awesome man, how the time flies by! Back then my website was hand-coded in HTML... while it's gotten a little easier with templates and CSS it's still a pain in the tuchus. Most of my clients these days are Susvara, Audeze and Focal users. If only Grado could work out some removeable cables. :D

I finally bent tonight and ordered a Pokémon Center Grado. As mentioned I have no interest in Pokémon but I feel like it will be a fun collector's piece to look at later on. If there are only 300 of each they will likely sell out this year. Hopefully some of them are acquired by the headfi collective.
Sweet!! Let us know how it sounds. You get the wood or aluminum? The wood w/ red headband looks particularly slick.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #51,710 of 65,639
I have the PS2000e, the PS500e and the GR10e.
If the PS series is great for details, the GR10e gives more details with very difficult tracks.
i was very estonish when the GR10e gives me a better audition in Philip Glass Akhenaten Act3 scene 2 @ 5 min. The percussions are more audible.
When my 2 friends ( Grado lovers with PS2000e and Chord mojo owners ) listen to my GR10e, they buy one the next week.
For us the GR10e has the same signature than the best Grado sound of the 4 last years included GS3000e.
I have listen the RS1X, and i prefer the GR10e. Maybe more bass but with minus treble.
With the little hole, the GR10e are not 2 plugs so never some overpressure and then it exists a good impression of space but not as big that RS1-X.

For me the Grado sounds come from Chord DAC, but my Hugo2, Poly and 2go can use some codec of Bluetooth and i don’t care.
So the day I listened to the GT220 out for the first time of the box, I did not hope to be impressed since they are not APTX HD and I was not when I was conquered instantly by the GR10E on Mojo1. If MP3 is enough so GT220 could be too.

With the Chord Mojo2Poly and Grado GR10e, the difference between 44.1, 88.2 or 176.4 is very audible. If I use the Poly Bluetooth mode, I can realize the gap between APTX and these various format.

I am used to listened to TV on Sennheiser CX6.00BT that uses APTX and APTXLL. I could listen to the TV with the GR10E on Mojo2Poly or Hugo22Go for a better result but it would be less convenient. So when the battery of one of my 2 cx6.00bt will be dead my look will be on the GT220 again.
So you obviously love the GR10E but not the GT220?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #51,711 of 65,639
Listening to my Hemphones this morning, at my WFH desk (working 2 days a week at home). A&K SR25 to my Vali 2 with a late 70's Mullard tube (don't remember exactly). I just really enjoy these headphones. I prefer them over all my other Grado's. I want to bring them into work, and use them through my Asgard 3, but the Hemp leaf makes that a challenge LOL I don't want to take off the decal. I was thinking maybe putting a sticker over the "dot", but then I'm afraid the glue would stick to it. Anyway, any Grado fans out there debating over whether to get the Hemp or not, I can honestly say go for it.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #51,712 of 65,639
Sweet!! Let us know how it sounds. You get the wood or aluminum? The wood w/ red headband looks particularly slick.
The shipping timeframe is oddly a little slow, 5-9 business days, but yeah I definitely will. I had the Alessandro MS-2 back in the day and really liked them so I got the aluminum pokeball version as I'd imagine it will sound somewhat similar. It looks like the Pokemon version has the newer sleeved/textured Grado cable so that will be interesting to see first-hand.

I want to bring them into work, and use them through my Asgard 3, but the Hemp leaf makes that a challenge LOL I don't want to take off the decal. I was thinking maybe putting a sticker over the "dot", but then I'm afraid the glue would stick to it.
Lol yeah that would be a little bit of a concern to prevent people from judging you. I work with a guy that grew up when weed was demonized in the media (or maybe by his parents) and he would go wild if he saw something like that.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #51,713 of 65,639
Good advice, the resale is indeed terrible because no one knows what to expect, it's not a branded/curated experience. I've made a few of my own and kept a copper leafed one with Turbulent X drivers that I really liked. I've got parts for 3-4 more with custom wood cups and a variety of fancy headbands, gimbals, etc. but haven't had a chance to build them yet.
I have a pair of Turbulent as well, and a pair of Symphone v9, but I didn't get a chance to try yet.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #51,714 of 65,639
Original GS1000 pleasure...

g.jpg

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #51,715 of 65,639
But what's written on the website is the Pokemon edition
  • Includes Grado Labs Prestige Series SR80x headphones with attached auxiliary cable
  • Part of the Pokémon Audio Collection collaboration with Grado Labs
It doesn't make sense for the official saying it's SR80x but it's actually something better? What a kindness to offer better things which are not as described.
I think the Pokémon folks are the cause here. I don’t think they know what they are describing or how to. It’s their ball in their court and they dropped it.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #51,716 of 65,639
Some of those Grado mahogany cups (RS and GS) look so dull, while others are so deep and gorgeous. I've always marveled at the variance in them. And pics of the better looking ones have drawn me back into Grado at times. @DTgill those are some of the best looking cups I've ever seen! Wow.

The two RS-1 I owned were polar opposites in this. The later one, circa 2005 / 6 , was really rough, dry, and dull/blonde, ugh. This was the older, better pair (pink drivers, wood box):
ZwhB1XL.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #51,718 of 65,639
Some of those Grado mahogany cups (RS and GS) look so dull, while others are so deep and gorgeous. I've always marveled at the variance in them. And pics of the better looking ones have drawn me back into Grado at times. @DTgill those are some of the best looking cups I've ever seen! Wow.

The two RS-1 I owned were polar opposites in this. The later one, circa 2005 / 6 , was really rough, dry, and dull/blonde, ugh. This was the older, better pair (pink drivers, wood box):
ZwhB1XL.jpg
So nice 😍😍

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #51,719 of 65,639
Very nice 👀 looking. Whose pad is that and what effect sonically?
G-pads with covering over them, I don't know where the original owner got them, they are comfy! And they sound great!

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #51,720 of 65,639
So I now have GS3000e here too, and they're beautiful and nice, but I'm not sure the sound is what I'm after. The PS1000 is sonically colored in the ways I expected from a classic John Grado, but with better detail, impact, and sonic "weightiness" (to go along with its physical weight). The 3000e feels like its's trying to be a less colored, flatter response, less in your face. The PS1000 are great "fun" headphones. I like Stax for "accurate".

I need to reterm it to 4-pin XLR so I can give the 3000e a fair fight (PS1000 is 4-pin, and I've done single ended comparisons with an adapter). But if balancing doesn't make it better enough, what are the Grado headphones I need to target other than PS1000? Is PS-1 still the ultimate version of this sound (I never heard those)? As nice as these are, I'd hate to be topped out with Grados at the PS1000!

I've tried these pads with both Grados: reversed G's, stock Gs, Todd's Flats, Todd's Deluxe Flats. Reversed G pads still my favorite. L pads (used to call these bowls) are inbound, but I never did like them in the past. Maybe I'll like reversed L pads best lol. Whatever happened to "vwap" pads, those were great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back