Grado Fan Club!
Mar 22, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #51,691 of 65,642
Thought I would let the core group know, I have a pair of Grado GH2 , I will be posting here in the very near future. Will not be asking no crazy price, just recoup what I paid last summer. Drop me a PM and will answer any questions.

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #51,692 of 65,642
They are still available for sale: https://www.pokemoncenter.com

I know most people here don't care for them but I'm tempted to buy a pair as it's such a strange pairing.
Oh, thanks, man! I thought they were out of stock and never searched.

But looking at specs I think it's a bit dumb to pay $500 for an SR80x in a different look...even the $300 one is expensive

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #51,693 of 65,642
IIRC there's a post stating that the Pokemon editions aren't using SR80 drivers but better.
From a few reviews from those who bought it the aluminum were more akin to 325. Some even compared them to GH3s.
So If I were to guess, the descriptions on the web page is indeed inaccurate.

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #51,694 of 65,642
Here's the post originally posted in Facebook's Grado Headphones Club :

" So there has been a little discussion of the limited edition Pokemon Center x Grado Labs collaboration. There has been some consternation demonstrated here and in other discussion areas that these headphones are basically just rebadged SR80s with an added Pokemon tax.
The information posted on the Pokemon Center website seemed inconsistent with itself and with what these headphones actually seemed to be, so I reached out to Grado Labs via Facebook Messenger to try and figure out what was going on. I was surprised today to receive a phone call from John Grado, from Grado Labs, to explain what was actually going on with these headphones.
Per Mr. Grado, during the early discussions between the Pokemon Center and Grado, they initially sent over samples/specs for the SR80, but did not end up using that particular model as the base. However, when the headphones were put up for sale, it was marketed based on the SR80. Mr. Grado basically said he can't say what model they are based on, but they are pretty close to what they look like.
Apparently, due to legal constraints, Grado can't really clarify the situation themselves, but I wanted to put the information out there so people don't deprive themselves of the opportunity to get a set of neat headphones that will probably not be around for long. Per Mr. Grado, there were like 300 of each model produced. It also made me sad to see Grado getting hit for producing models that were just money grabs, when the price-to-value ratio on these phones seems pretty similar to other phones at a similar price range in their lineup.
Mr. Grado kept calling it "pokey-mans", which made me chuckle, but the level of customer service shown to call a customer about a random pair of limited-release headphones that probably represent very little of their bottom-line blew my mind. A+ for Grado."

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #51,697 of 65,642
Hi. Proud owner of the GS3000e but i can get the Hifiman Ananda for a good price to add as an alternative to the Grado. As anyone own both and could give tell me if they are much different and compliment each other?
I dont have an Ananda, but rather an HE6SEV2. I would say that one is objectively better than most Grados; but it also needs a ton of power, and isn't always as much fun. So yes, they are complimentary in that way ---- like an 8 passenger SUV and a motorcycle.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #51,698 of 65,642
I'd be quite concerned that if purchasing used you could end up with the knock-offs from Earphone DIY Labs. Have you guys figured out a way to avoid being defrauded in the used market? When you get these kits do they come in a Grado branded box?
Those are not genuine Grado parts. Not worth the time and price one bit.

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #51,700 of 65,642
IIRC there's a post stating that the Pokemon editions aren't using SR80 drivers but better.
From a few reviews from those who bought it the aluminum were more akin to 325. Some even compared them to GH3s.
So If I were to guess, the descriptions on the web page is indeed inaccurate.
But what's written on the website is the Pokemon edition
  • Includes Grado Labs Prestige Series SR80x headphones with attached auxiliary cable
  • Part of the Pokémon Audio Collection collaboration with Grado Labs
It doesn't make sense for the official saying it's SR80x but it's actually something better? What a kindness to offer better things which are not as described.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #51,701 of 65,642
Agreed, if you want the true Grado experience you have to buy real Grado. I could see using the unbranded parts if you were making your own thing with something like Symphones or Turbulent Labs, but that's about it.
I would recommend making your own for the experience and to get better known to the intricacies of the various parts of the headphone but it is really only a project for yourself. The resell value for custom 'Grado' like headphones using different drivers is a fraction of the original cost and even then lucky to find a buyer. Stock is the best with some comfort upgrades like pads and headband but cup, cable, etc.. keep stock.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #51,702 of 65,642
Never been a huge Grado fan in the past 20 years. But recently acquired some new-to-me PS1000, and after reversing the "G" pads I have to say this hits all the right buttons for what I envisioned a "fun Grado" sound can be at its best. I didn't enjoy the sound with "G" pads in their normal orientation - it feels like the midrange is missing. Reversed G's (though slightly awkward) bring back the midrange and give a big bass boost that's definitely very overdeveloped, but also much more fun than it is obnoxious (still hits hard and fast enough). I tried flat pads (a favorite of mine for all older Grados) and they go a little bit further in this sonic direction, which is too far IMO. The "reversed G" pads hit the sweet spot for me - they act like slightly deeper flats. The sound has that classic Grado "snap" but also hits with a lot of extra weight without being too bright or fatiguing. I love 'em!

In the distant past I've had: SR-225, SR-325, HF-1 (#15 !!), RS-2, RS1 (twice), SR-200, HP-2 (three times!). The PS1000 are now my favorite Grado. Pictured below on a STAX headphone stand that had been holding a 009 for years. Sacrilege! :sweat_smile:

g9Pzgsb.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #51,703 of 65,642
I would recommend making your own for the experience and to get better known to the intricacies of the various parts of the headphone but it is really only a project for yourself. The resell value for custom 'Grado' like headphones using different drivers is a fraction of the original cost and even then lucky to find a buyer. Stock is the best with some comfort upgrades like pads and headband but cup, cable, etc.. keep stock.
Good advice, the resale is indeed terrible because no one knows what to expect, it's not a branded/curated experience. I've made a few of my own and kept a copper leafed one with Turbulent X drivers that I really liked. I've got parts for 3-4 more with custom wood cups and a variety of fancy headbands, gimbals, etc. but haven't had a chance to build them yet.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #51,704 of 65,642
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #51,705 of 65,642
Never been a huge Grado fan in the past 20 years. But recently acquired some new-to-me PS1000, and after reversing the "G" pads I have to say this hits all the right buttons for what I envisioned a "fun Grado" sound can be at its best. I didn't enjoy the sound with "G" pads in their normal orientation - it feels like the midrange is missing. Reversed G's (though slightly awkward) bring back the midrange and give a big bass boost that's definitely very overdeveloped, but also much more fun than it is obnoxious (still hits hard and fast enough). I tried flat pads (a favorite of mine for all older Grados) and they go a little bit further in this sonic direction, which is too far IMO. The "reversed G" pads hit the sweet spot for me - they act like slightly deeper flats. The sound has that classic Grado "snap" but also hits with a lot of extra weight without being too bright or fatiguing. I love 'em!

In the distant past I've had: SR-225, SR-325, HF-1 (#15 !!), RS-2, RS1 (twice), SR-200, HP-2 (three times!). The PS1000 are now my favorite Grado. Pictured below on a STAX headphone stand that had been holding a 009 for years. Sacrilege! :sweat_smile:
@mulveling good to see another old head in here. That Headroom amp really brings back the memories. I like my PS1000 with comfies and TTVJ flats. I've always found the big foam pads a little uncomfortable personally.

Pictures, or it did not happen... :wink:

Bruh you could click the link but here you go :D

Steampunk-Grado-Headphones.jpg

Copper leaf (or gold/silver leaf) is super easy and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back