Grado Fan Club!
Mar 9, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #51,496 of 65,642
Do you think these a step above from Koss headphones? I have no experience with Grados either.

They’re pretty different. Koss headphones are more balanced and more ‘complete’ (particularly the KPH30i) than Grados are, but as much as I like my Koss, I still prefer my Grados by a fair bit.

Here’s how I’ve previously described them:

I love my KPH30i, but they’re not a replacement for Grados. They’re two very different types of headphones with very different sounds.

The KPH30i are like a respectable college graduate who doesn’t have a lot of money. He can’t afford all the best clothes or the nicest shoes, but he does his research and finds the best inexpensive shirt, the best inexpensive suit, and the nicest $50 watch, so he can look spiffy and presentable at a job interview. He’s like a well-balanced, resourceful facsimile of something more luxurious.

Grado, on the other hand, are more like a really talented artist. He doesn’t know how to get dressed up for a job interview and he isn’t super balanced or well-rounded or presentable for the world. But he’s incredibly talented at something he does and people absolutely love him for it. He’s a master of his craft and he creates an amazing artisanal product.

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #51,497 of 65,642
Regarding Q1 I can recommend these ones (Amazon). They are somewhere between L and Flats.

Yuhtech Replacement Open Cell Foam Ear Pads for GRADO SR125 SR325 SR60 SR80 M1 PS1000 GS1000​

Unfortunately the Yuhtech are not available on Amazon USA.
I am curious about availability of circumaural pads for the sr80x that wouldn't even make contact with my ears would sound like?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #51,498 of 65,642
Wow! Sounds like I need to get one. Are these easy to drive, say from a compact dap like Shanling Q1?
Most Grados are very easy to drive

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #51,499 of 65,642
Wow! Sounds like I need to get one. Are these easy to drive, say from a compact dap like Shanling Q1?
Grados are super easy. I dont know the Q1 specifically but I really like a Fiio M6 with my SR60e and SR80i. Even a decent phone output will sound great.

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #51,501 of 65,642
Grados are easy to drive, though you might find the cord a bit bulky and ungainly coming out of a little DAP.

The SR60 and SR80 are a good taste of what Grados are about, but if your budget will allow you to start with the SR125, they are already a big leap up from the SR60 or SR80.

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #51,502 of 65,642
…I keep returning to the RS-1x for its joie de vivre, its musicality. I have other headphones, including Grados, which have greater technical mastery, proficiency in reproducing music. The RS-1x puts a grin on my face, takes me away. With the music going, I think: ‘the RS-1x should not be doing this!’ But it does!
…And it has a new (old) SS partner: the Violectric V200. What a match! A little more ‘meat on the bone’ compared to the Gilmore Lite II. All the usual audiophile / sound boxes: ☑️. A great compact SS h/p/a itself and as ‘sub-in’ for the tube h/p/a (they deserve a break from time to time).
B582978C-82D1-41B2-9423-78225BA1FB33.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #51,504 of 65,642
Only heard Grado HP 1000 and PS 1000. Fantastic headphones and very comfortable wearing! Sad haven't get a chance to own one.
TO Grado fans, any recommendation that would be close to HP 1000?
…I will suggest GS3000e (which I own) for sound & comfort and is available…(because I have no experience with either HP1000 or PS1000).

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #51,505 of 65,642
They’re pretty different. Koss headphones are more balanced and more ‘complete’ (particularly the KPH30i) than Grados are, but as much as I like my Koss, I still prefer my Grados by a fair bit.

Here’s how I’ve previously described them:

I love my KPH30i, but they’re not a replacement for Grados. They’re two very different types of headphones with very different sounds.

The KPH30i are like a respectable college graduate who doesn’t have a lot of money. He can’t afford all the best clothes or the nicest shoes, but he does his research and finds the best inexpensive shirt, the best inexpensive suit, and the nicest $50 watch, so he can look spiffy and presentable at a job interview. He’s like a well-balanced, resourceful facsimile of something more luxurious.

Grado, on the other hand, are more like a really talented artist. He doesn’t know how to get dressed up for a job interview and he isn’t super balanced or well-rounded or presentable for the world. But he’s incredibly talented at something he does and people absolutely love him for it. He’s a master of his craft and he creates an amazing artisanal product.
Really great analogies, man! Love the talented artist one - spot on, in that greatness often goes hand-in hand with imbalance and extremes. Due in part to the fact that greatness is often born from passion as opposed to intellect.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #51,506 of 65,642
Really great analogies, man! Love the talented artist one - spot on, in that greatness often goes hand-in hand with imbalance and extremes. Due in part to the fact that greatness is often born from passion as opposed to intellect.
…it also helps if that greatness is recognised other than posthumously…

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #51,507 of 65,642
…I keep returning to the RS-1x for its joie de vivre, its musicality. I have other headphones, including Grados, which have greater technical mastery, proficiency in reproducing music. The RS-1x puts a grin on my face, takes me away. With the music going, I think: ‘the RS-1x should not be doing this!’ But it does!
…And it has a new (old) SS partner: the Violectric V200. What a match! A little more ‘meat on the bone’ compared to the Gilmore Lite II. All the usual audiophile / sound boxes: ☑️. A great compact SS h/p/a itself and as ‘sub-in’ for the tube h/p/a (they deserve a break from time to time).

The V200 is really versatile. Enjoy!

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #51,508 of 65,642
Some of my few dozen Grados.

Attachments

• B60FE78C-DBE5-4874-86B3-50A497726A4B.jpeg
    B60FE78C-DBE5-4874-86B3-50A497726A4B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #51,509 of 65,642
Grados are easy to drive, though you might find the cord a bit bulky and ungainly coming out of a little DAP.

The SR60 and SR80 are a good taste of what Grados are about, but if your budget will allow you to start with the SR125, they are already a big leap up from the SR60 or SR80.
Buy the 225 or 325 instead. And you will never need any other GRado...

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #51,510 of 65,642
…And it has a new (old) SS partner: the Violectric V200. What a match! A little more ‘meat on the bone’ compared to the Gilmore Lite II. All the usual audiophile / sound boxes: ☑️. A great compact SS h/p/a itself and as ‘sub-in’ for the tube h/p/a (they deserve a break from time to time).B582978C-82D1-41B2-9423-78225BA1FB33.jpeg
I almost forgot that I promised my self to buy a german amp :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back