Grado Fan Club!
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #49,741 of 66,274
We've known for years that both G & L cush work with both GH1 & GH2, for example, for different folks, or even the same folks at different times, or for different music, or whatever. Comfort, tonal balance, head stage, timbre...

I woke up wanting new Grados to play with, so swapped G & L between GH1 & GH2, et voila! 2 new Grados!

All plugging in to a new flavor amp, IEMagni, that's like a MAD, elite, total overkill respin of RA-1, and sounds nothing like any of my other Schiit.

This morning, new Spyro Gyra, Incognito & In Modern Times, and new Rippingtons, Open Road, Fountain of Youth & Modern Art. Early Christmas.

What's olde is nu again. 😁

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #49,742 of 66,274
Bought a mint condition used pair of GS1000i. Should arrive some time next week. Was curious about these for a long time so jumped on this offer :).

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #49,743 of 66,274
I got the RS2x this weekend as well! I find the resolution in the mids excellent, but the bass is also lacking and the treble a bit too prominent.
I'll experiment with different pads to raise the bass and lower treble.

right now, thankfully I use iFi amps so xbass is activated and life goes on. Stock, I couldnt live with them. I also feel the same way with the HD800 though. Lived with HD800 modded with Xbass very happilly. and those grado definitely need the same kind of bass boost the hd800 also needed for my taste.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #49,744 of 66,274
Curious how the RS2e compares to the RS2x...? I find the bass is plenty enough with the L pads.

My favourite is actually the SR225e with bowl pads especially for well recorded rock. Its not as refined but rock music isn't supposed to be. Anything with Ted Templeman as a producer has an excellent dynamic range. Bad recordings with Grado can be pretty uncomfortable, but a proper recording is bliss.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #49,747 of 66,274
I just got the RS1x last weekend. Initial impression: They are more resolving than the Hemp but where is the bass? I know we're not buying Grado headphones for the bass, but the RS1x have almost no bass and no impact compared with the Hemp.

IKDrhwv.jpg

Edit: If someone from Canada is interested, I'm selling them here.

That’s interesting. I have some coming my way and I’m anxious to try them out. What kind of music do you typically listen to?

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #49,748 of 66,274
Higher resolution, less bass, brighter sound... NOW I am even more interested in the RS-1X...
But if they sound too thin and lifeless, then it is another story. I hope they arrive over here in Europe soon so we can get to listen to them.
Not thin or lifeless to my listening. While the Hemp is quite a fun listen including some bop in the bottom the RS1x and RS2x have better detail with more refinement top to bottom. They also have more air and space. The RS1x has good bass and that bass is well articulated while the Hemp does not detail the bass as well.

All three of mine are well broken in which will bring out the best in all of them.

Of course lastly one must listen for yourself to really know what you might prefer.

There is not a bad choice there.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #49,753 of 66,274
Nice with leather and wood.
They are a little step above my 225/325. But not so much.
225e is really good .swapped from rs2e now to my 225. Yea, I can live with only 225e

Nov 30, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #49,754 of 66,274
That’s interesting. I have some coming my way and I’m anxious to try them out. What kind of music do you typically listen to?

I'm mostly listening to Prog-Rock and Metal.

Wow, that sucks to hear. I was hoping it would have been a scaled up version of the hemp with the new X drivers. Thanks for sharing you impressions. I guess I'm holding onto the hemps for a while now.

Don't get me wrong, the RS1x are very good headphones and a good notch above the Hemp in term of technicalities. The RS1x are more resolving, they have better imaging and they also have better treble extension and sparkle. I will continue the burn in process, and hopefully the bass will improve over time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back