Grado Fan Club!
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #49,771 of 65,692
I am just going through a several day session with my GH2's. I have really enjoyed them with my Violectric V220. Occasionally I put my Schiit Loki in the chain for giggles.

But I have to say that my iFi Pro iCAN really does fill these out!
Setting are; Tube mode, low gain, volume around 9:00, 20Hz bass boost and just a little bit of 3D fun.

I have been just going through my collection alphabetically, while changing headphones every week (LSA HP-2's, T60 Argons, HiFiman HE6se V2's and now the GH2's). No headphone sounds great with everything, but these really adapt to different genre's very well. And I suspect the problem pieces are more bad copies on my part than the headphone struggling.
Elton John, ELO, Etta James, Emphatic, Earth, Wind and Fire, Dorothy, Doobie Brothers, Deftones, etc.

So awesome, with very present bass. Hmmm.
:thumbsup:
Couldnt agree more with these settings. Forgot which pads you’re using for the GH2s? (And you use the SE 3.5 mm output on the ICan? Would it be an improvement if we could use the XLR balanced out on Grados? Thinking a sec :L3000:about modding the cable)

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #49,772 of 65,692
Couldnt agree more with these settings. Forgot which pads you’re using for the GH2s? (And you use the SE 3.5 mm output on the ICan? Would it be an improvement if we could use the XLR balanced out on Grados? Thinking a sec :L3000:about modding the cable)
I use the Beautiful Audio pads. I use the 1/4" output (3-pin on the right side).
I don't think XLR would add anything as I listen in low gain and don't go much past 9:00.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #49,773 of 65,692
I got the RS2x this weekend as well! I find the resolution in the mids excellent, but the bass is also lacking and the treble a bit too prominent.
I'll experiment with different pads to raise the bass and lower treble.

right now, thankfully I use iFi amps so xbass is activated and life goes on. Stock, I couldnt live with them. I also feel the same way with the HD800 though. Lived with HD800 modded with Xbass very happilly. and those grado definitely need the same kind of bass boost the hd800 also needed for my taste.
little update. the RS2x have over 75 hours of playing.

Ive found a local shop who had the new Grado F pads. The F pads really brings out the bass. still lacking in ultimate extension, but the bass level now dont necessite bass eq like it did with the stockbowl pads. Its almost a night and day difference here.

the F pads also lowers the highs and also seem to make the mids slightly less forward.

actually now the bass is some of the most special ive ever experienced. The bass is highly musical and expressive. every subtilities come thrue quite magically actually. very open type of bass.
Is there some sort of shout somewhere in the mids, perhaps, I cant wait to see measurements. but I dunno I just love the musicality of the headphones right now. they are a blast to use. Im in that big early phase but everythign i listen is enjoyable and interesting. The fact I dont want to immediatly go back to hd650 is a immense good sign for me

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #49,774 of 65,692
little update. the RS2x have over 75 hours of playing.

Ive found a local shop who had the new Grado F pads. The F pads really brings out the bass. still lacking in ultimate extension, but the bass level now dont necessite bass eq like it did with the stockbowl pads. Its almost a night and day difference here.

the F pads also lowers the highs and also seem to make the mids slightly less forward.

actually now the bass is some of the most special ive ever experienced. The bass is highly musical and expressive. every subtilities come thrue quite magically actually. very open type of bass.
Is there some sort of shout somewhere in the mids, perhaps, I cant wait to see measurements. but I dunno I just love the musicality of the headphones right now. they are a blast to use. Im in that big early phase but everythign i listen is enjoyable and interesting. The fact I dont want to immediatly go back to hd650 is a immense good sign for me
This is great to know. I adore the f pads since burning in my Hemps. Maybe should go with this model in the future.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #49,775 of 65,692
sure?
us prices is without tax?
so if i order 325x from amazon I pay
295+tax+ freight= 390USD
if an american buy 325x? he/her must pay tax too?(325+10% tax?)
so buying from us is a good thing.
no extra taxes for us in europe.
the problem in europe, is greedy importers
Interesting… taxes on (paid) taxes.
I may be wrong, but the US government has ratified (signed) the SNA 1993 by the UN?!
‘Unanimously approved‘ means no one said no, right?
It‘s an 807 pages document ( + index), something about balancing of national accounts…
We maybe should have a talk with our accountants about export declaration forms.

Or, while waiting on a sale offer, put a new Grado cartridge to the tonearm and listen to Miss Tina Turner.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #49,776 of 65,692
This is great to know. I adore the f pads since burning in my Hemps. Maybe should go with this model in the future.
Me too. I‘m a great fan of things like pad-swapping, tube-rolling, etc.
But I don‘t leave it changed. Nearly every phone has it‘s original pads in daily use.
(LCD-2 has Dekoni pads (adds a touch of treble), DT1990 PRO has Dekoni Velour pads (slightly softens the treble without loosing resolution) and SR325e keeps Geekria G-pads (Improves bass, adds contour to space… and feels much more pleasant to the skin 😄))

Let’s (kinda) quote the great Steve G.: „You get older, you become a more experienced listener.“
If you are young, let’s say 30-35 years, you still have most of your audio receptor cells.
You may hear >15 kHz at 75 dB(A).
So you have the full hearing spectrum …but have just started to be a listener.
(If finished killing the messenger, go ahead reading)
Experienced listening is not about consciously hearing details like room reflections, differencing a cymbal touched by stick, rake, rope or brush, etc.
It‘s about having these informations, let’s say mechanical. The older you get, the more information you gather without really focusing. The better your hearing processes get.
Please, dear reader, don’t be mad at me, look happily forward to become better and better… and better than you are now. Doesn‘t matter how good your ears are, your hearing will become better your whole lifetime.
When I changed the 3.5mm plug to the 2.5 one on the RS2e, I experienced instantly:
- slightly more spacious sounding
- the single instruments got more contour
- the waves in vibrato became more differentiated
- bass became more precise (, not every one likes that)
- it was easier to discern voices, differ them from each other
- even in a smaller orchestra, the space between instruments became bigger, they were better
positioned. I admit not to hear that, if there are 20 violins in a row or something stuffed like that.
Maybe there are people with bat-like hearing, able to do so.
- listening to an audiobook had the most impressive effect. A single voice, just placed in the center
became more crisp. It got audibly more contour. (If the speaker tents to sibilants, they became
sharp. Not to everyone’s delight…)

If connecting the T1 2nd, HD800S, Sundara, 0|1 or Nightowls to the CMA600‘s XLR4:
- bass becomes more present
- bass becomes more precise
- soundstage becomes (slightly) wider (and much with the HD800S)
- better separation of instruments
- easier to differ voices from each other
- better positioning over the soundstage, even in depth
4 interesting things:
- the soundstage get‘s deeper (but not as deep as on amps I tried at the dealers listening room.
I guess it‘s something about the CMA600s sounding, even the CMA400 is doing better with this.
But had no analogue in. Bad for a phono guy.)
- bass instantly became much more dynamic. But this, I think, is based on the much more powerful
output circuits used for balanced outputs, not caused by the balanced principle itself.
- the overall sound of the CMA losses some of it‘s brand typical earthiness.
(Growling animals over a Questyle are an incredible experience. Try a movie with a tiger in it)
- the Sundara behaves like a different phone, it even loses some of it‘s cold, while gaining resolution.
It scales the most of these phones.
The phones use technically different XLR4 cables, but having these effects on all of them in nearly the same weight makes me quite sure, that’s caused by the balanced output, not the cable.

The more experienced you are, the easier it is to differentiate balanced headphone output from single ended. In the beginning it is necessary to focus on the headphones … let’s say behavior.
No one can tell you:“This is balanced!“ on hearing only one output. But I can easily say which one is balanced if I hear the balanced and the single ended one after each other.
Maybe not on Punk Musik…
The better a circuit is designed, the more easy it is to hear the differences. On a DAP you need a quality like the Fiio M11 to instantly hear it. On the KANN it’s obvious. But I could retrace these effects even on the A&K XB-10 using AAC via Bluetooth. I would love to try this on Ifi stuff, having great expectations there with Grados, but the Micro iDSD Signature, a product which on first sight made me jelling a ‘Yippi ka hey‘… was s%$%§% designed without analogue in!
From my point of view I just started to become an experienced listener, being far behind guys like good old Steve.

[Note for newbies: Headphone balanced is kind of a discrete circuit. It has nothing to do with interconnect balanced. There is no real ‘ - ‘, as in negative phase. It just switches the single ‘negative‘ pole into 2 separate circuits, that can no more affect each other and have their own dynamics.]

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #49,777 of 65,692
Me too. I‘m a great fan of things like pad-swapping, tube-rolling, etc.
But I don‘t leave it changed. Nearly every phone has it‘s original pads in daily use.
(LCD-2 has Dekoni pads (adds a touch of treble), DT1990 PRO has Dekoni Velour pads (slightly softens the treble without loosing resolution) and SR325e keeps Geekria G-pads (Improves bass, adds contour to space… and feels much more pleasant to the skin 😄))

Let’s (kinda) quote the great Steve G.: „You get older, you become a more experienced listener.“
If you are young, let’s say 30-35 years, you still have most of your audio receptor cells.
You may hear >15 kHz at 75 dB(A).
So you have the full hearing spectrum …but have just started to be a listener.
(If finished killing the messenger, go ahead reading)
Experienced listening is not about consciously hearing details like room reflections, differencing a cymbal touched by stick, rake, rope or brush, etc.
It‘s about having these informations, let’s say mechanical. The older you get, the more information you gather without really focusing. The better your hearing processes get.
Please, dear reader, don’t be mad at me, look happily forward to become better and better… and better than you are now. Doesn‘t matter how good your ears are, your hearing will become better your whole lifetime.
When I changed the 3.5mm plug to the 2.5 one on the RS2e, I experienced instantly:
- slightly more spacious sounding
- the single instruments got more contour
- the waves in vibrato became more differentiated
- bass became more precise (, not every one likes that)
- it was easier to discern voices, differ them from each other
- even in a smaller orchestra, the space between instruments became bigger, they were better
positioned. I admit not to hear that, if there are 20 violins in a row or something stuffed like that.
Maybe there are people with bat-like hearing, able to do so.
- listening to an audiobook had the most impressive effect. A single voice, just placed in the center
became more crisp. It got audibly more contour. (If the speaker tents to sibilants, they became
sharp. Not to everyone’s delight…)

If connecting the T1 2nd, HD800S, Sundara, 0|1 or Nightowls to the CMA600‘s XLR4:
- bass becomes more present
- bass becomes more precise
- soundstage becomes (slightly) wider (and much with the HD800S)
- better separation of instruments
- easier to differ voices from each other
- better positioning over the soundstage, even in depth
4 interesting things:
- the soundstage get‘s deeper (but not as deep as on amps I tried at the dealers listening room.
I guess it‘s something about the CMA600s sounding, even the CMA400 is doing better with this.
But had no analogue in. Bad for a phono guy.)
- bass instantly became much more dynamic. But this, I think, is based on the much more powerful
output circuits used for balanced outputs, not caused by the balanced principle itself.
- the overall sound of the CMA losses some of it‘s brand typical earthiness.
(Growling animals over a Questyle are an incredible experience. Try a movie with a tiger in it)
- the Sundara behaves like a different phone, it even loses some of it‘s cold, while gaining resolution.
It scales the most of these phones.
The phones use technically different XLR4 cables, but having these effects on all of them in nearly the same weight makes me quite sure, that’s caused by the balanced output, not the cable.

The more experienced you are, the easier it is to differentiate balanced headphone output from single ended. In the beginning it is necessary to focus on the headphones … let’s say behavior.
No one can tell you:“This is balanced!“ on hearing only one output. But I can easily say which one is balanced if I hear the balanced and the single ended one after each other.
Maybe not on Punk Musik…
The better a circuit is designed, the more easy it is to hear the differences. On a DAP you need a quality like the Fiio M11 to instantly hear it. On the KANN it’s obvious. But I could retrace these effects even on the A&K XB-10 using AAC via Bluetooth. I would love to try this on Ifi stuff, having great expectations there with Grados, but the Micro iDSD Signature, a product which on first sight made me jelling a ‘Yippi ka hey‘… was s%$%§% designed without analogue in!
From my point of view I just started to become an experienced listener, being far behind guys like good old Steve.

[Note for newbies: Headphone balanced is kind of a discrete circuit. It has nothing to do with interconnect balanced. There is no real ‘ - ‘, as in negative phase. It just switches the single ‘negative‘ pole into 2 separate circuits, that can no more affect each other and have their own dynamics.]
Yes the possibilities with headphones is exciting. Maybe not quite as exciting has having a dedicated hifi stereo, if you have the means (I live in an apartment so that is a no-go for me.) Headphones do have their advantages over a speaker setup though. I think convenience is a big one.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #49,778 of 65,692
Well catching up with all the grado posts most days. I wonder when this thread will end . And a new one starts up.....this is long lol. Now members can easy get lost hunting out info.
Also about time grado or somebody ( but not a rip off ) sold Grado T Shirts. / hoodie. And maybe some nice Stickers .

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #49,780 of 65,692
but the Micro iDSD Signature, a product which on first sight made me jelling a ‘Yippi ka hey‘… was s%$%§% designed without analogue in!

I hear you, but micro iDSD Signature was designed as a more streamlined product than its predecessor. Most customers intend to use the former as a DAC/amp combo and its circuit simpler in comparison to micro iDSD BL resulted in better sound.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #49,781 of 65,692
The more experienced you are, the easier it is to differentiate balanced headphone output from single ended

That's true and all differences you listed are a spot on. We've been getting a very similar feedback from people who compare SE and balanced outputs in our stuff. Thanks!

Sorry for double posting!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #49,783 of 65,692
I’ve had these listed in the classifieds but just in case no one in the grado pages has looked in the forums lately I’m selling my like new brown headband RS1es for $365 if anyone is interested.
Nice price, good luck with the sale.

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #49,784 of 65,692
Amir reviewed the 60x, I like his approach to audio (disclosure I work in measurement science); and I'm not surprised by his results. The important part of this debate is to ask why do some folk love the Grado sound, and others hate it? That they don't measure well is not really the issue (they don't) but despite that, to some people they are fantastic to listen to. So, in the interests of semi - scientific analysis I've just acquired some Yamaha RH5MA, as they were tested (also by Amir, so a consistent method) close to the ideal Harman curve. Thus far, I make two observations:
- I don't really like the sound of the Yamahas without EQ, they sound boomy, even brighter than the Hemps and 325e. I'm only concerned with FR here, not detail retrieval, the Hemp stamps all over the Yamaha in that respect.
- I prefer the sound of the hemp in any configuration, other than EQ to a Harman curve ideal

I've only just started researching harman curves, so very late to that party, but I find it really interesting (shame I couldn't get involved in it professionally and do it properly). It's got me wondering if there are a portion of head shapes in the normal distribution whose HRTF is such that the Grado signature profile is "right", and the harman (aimed at the average head) just sounds horrible.

Anyways, here is the review. Enjoy (though no need to comment on the comments, we all know there are concrete heads scattered randomly across the world)!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/grado-sr60x-review-on-ear-headphone.28177/

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #49,785 of 65,692
Amir reviewed the 60x, I like his approach to audio (disclosure I work in measurement science); and I'm not surprised by his results. The important part of this debate is to ask why do some folk love the Grado sound, and others hate it? That they don't measure well is not really the issue (they don't) but despite that, to some people they are fantastic to listen to. So, in the interests of semi - scientific analysis I've just acquired some Yamaha RH5MA, as they were tested (also by Amir, so a consistent method) close to the ideal Harman curve. Thus far, I make two observations:
- I don't really like the sound of the Yamahas without EQ, they sound boomy, even brighter than the Hemps and 325e. I'm only concerned with FR here, not detail retrieval, the Hemp stamps all over the Yamaha in that respect.
- I prefer the sound of the hemp in any configuration, other than EQ to a Harman curve ideal

I've only just started researching harman curves, so very late to that party, but I find it really interesting (shame I couldn't get involved in it professionally and do it properly). It's got me wondering if there are a portion of head shapes in the normal distribution whose HRTF is such that the Grado signature profile is "right", and the harman (aimed at the average head) just sounds horrible.

Anyways, here is the review. Enjoy (though no need to comment on the comments, we all know there are concrete heads scattered randomly across the world)!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/grado-sr60x-review-on-ear-headphone.28177/
one advise for you
dont trust Amir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back