Grado Fan Club!
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #49,801 of 65,854
OK, enough of the hooray-Grado for one day. I don’t own one of the braided new cables, but remember having soldered one out of a GS1000e (not mine). ‘Cause everyone complaint about the weight I put it on the kitchen scale. If I remember right, it was just 75 grams. Without adapter.
I personally don’t have a problem with these cables thickness or sound, but I really don’t get why they don’t make them removable.
Control...

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #49,802 of 65,854
amirm doesn't care for Schiit products either... cest la vie

Some of the best things in life don't measure the way some people think they should.

I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking, when I say Grado kicks ass! I love them!
The foot-pounds per square inch when ass is kicked does not appear in Amir’s graphs…

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #49,803 of 65,854
Well, for one more data point for your study, I dont prefer the elevated bass of the Harman curve and I like to really hear a top notch drummer work those high hats (i.e. a little elevated treble). I'm probably the opposite of the modal listener in this regard.
…despite “Kind of Blue”, it’s back to chords & harmony?…😜

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #49,805 of 65,854
Intriguing!
What should it contain?
maybe a sticked post here will be better?
all new members ask:
what is the difference between xxxxx and xxxxx?
what amp? what dac?

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #49,806 of 65,854
Dang are the new cables really that bad? Guess I will have to wait and see how I get along with em..
Think the 8C cable is great. But don`t like the patent on the adapter. something like Beyerdynamic would be better. screw adapter.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #49,808 of 65,854
think you`r right. one thread is ok
thing changes, so asking same question again is ok.
think this is the most lively thread on this forum.

another question: what source are you using out there?

I use self std FLAC and apple music(dont like it, apple gave me 3month for free)

is it worth to try anything over 24-44.1?
MQA?DSD?DXD?

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #49,810 of 65,854
think you`r right. one thread is ok
thing changes, so asking same question again is ok.
think this is the most lively thread on this forum.

another question: what source are you using out there?

I use self std FLAC and apple music(dont like it, apple gave me 3month for free)

MQA?DSD?DXD?
Personally I had fun trying out all of the formats, and trying things out has been a good chunk of the fun already.

I do flac and DSD

I personally hear and appreciate the difference from 44 to 192 on my setup, not saying it’s the night and day difference but it’s nice to have when it’s available.

As for worth trying, I love my DSD albums. Norah jones specifically is an amazing experience on DSD. But until there’s another primary store to get albums (accoustic sounds was the place to go, but they killed it this last January) I can’t recommend it; these days you have to scour to find any albums.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #49,811 of 65,854
considering to try qobuz for a year.(17% off)
they also have a online store where you can buy music.
they offer: 24-Bit up to 192 kHz

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #49,812 of 65,854
Grass is greener question: what’s a logical next step after the PS500e? After swapping the L pads for some Geekria ones that seem halfway between the L and the F’s, the bass (and comfort!) was transformed and I’ve really grown to love the pair.

It has, as I’m sure many of you are familiar with, stoked the fires of wanting to own some more Grados. I’ve been contemplating the Hemps, as they’re several years newer and the increase in wood should sound different. Any others? I briefly tried the 325X and wasn’t a fan, something quite booming about the bass on the stock pads.

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #49,814 of 65,854
Thinking about the benefits or otherwise of EQ, I Have spent some time re-visiting some of the Hemp reviews when they were launched, and found some of the FR sweeps using different pads from the SBFA forums, so am trying the Geekria flat pads and trying to mitigate the harsher spikes and troughs with some EQ. As time goes on, I've found the F pads too rolled off at the HF, and everything else that 2k hump is too pronounced. This is a much more smooth and open sound profile, though it's too bassy for me, so I've reduced that, but it still sounds fantastically dynamic and pacy. The challenge now is to find a DSP for Qobuz that doesn't require processing through the WK mixer, or at least maintain exclusive control.

Attachments

• xnzPhgx.jpg
    xnzPhgx.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2021-12-03 (2).png
    2021-12-03 (2).png
    596.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #49,815 of 65,854
MQA?DSD?DXD?
I cant speak to DSD, but the 16/44 standard was adopted for CDs because it is more than sufficient to cover the entire spectrum of human hearing. Read up on the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem if you're interested in learning more about this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back