Grado Fan Club!
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #46,906 of 65,633
If that price is legit then you should order a whole pallet of them šŸ˜„ You could easily resell them at a 500% markup.
Its shipping now, would love to inspect its authenticity first!šŸ¤£

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #46,907 of 65,633
Did someone had the chance to compare the Hemp (stock pads) versus the RS2e with the TTVJ Deluxe pads?

As it happens, I've done just that. Here are some impressions...

In the lows, the Hemp extends a bit further and supplies a solid, impactful bass punch. RS2e has a more tuneful, mid-bass oriented presentation that blends subtly into the midrange. It has decent extension but softens notably on deeper bass notes whereas the Hemp sounds more firm with more body overall. Both models deliver ample textural quality and articulation in their bass response. Which presentation might be preferable is more a question of music selection than technicalities; neither is plainly superior

The RS2e has a nuanced midrange presentation that benefits from the aforementioned mid-bass suffusion. To deploy an adjective popular among audiophiles, one might describe it as "lush". Hemp, in comparison, sounds notably drier, more linear. The 2.2kHz bump in the upper midrange that is practically a Grado trademark is leveled off into a mild rise that imparts presence without being overbearing. RS2e retains a sharper rise but is not worse for it; it needs more "bite" in the upper mids to cut through the warmth in the lower registers. If you prize an intimate midrange, then the RS2e ought to prove satisfying. Hemp trades some of that intimacy for spaciousness and is scarcely worse off in the exchange

Treble is relatively subdued between the RS2e and Hemp, verging on a "dark" tuning. RS2e has a boost to its low treble around 4kHz that adds definition and "shimmer" but may impart a touch of sibilance. Hemp is more subdued, such that this shortcoming doesn't call attention to itself. It has enough energy in its highs to avoid sounding "off" but I would not want the region withdrawn any further. Of course, if one has an aversion to any rise in the upper registers then the Hemp's treble may be more agreeable

Soundstage is comparable between both headphones but is slightly more expansive on the Hemp as a consequence of its tuning. That is, the emphasis on deeper bass and a less forward midrange yields a relatively more open, spacious presentation. However, I would not say that less intimate staging is "better" and the staging characteristics are on balance more similar than not

It's difficult to say where and how the RS2e and Hemp differ in terms of dynamics. My sense is that the RS2e is better able to resolve microdynamic shifts but it's a challenge for me to explain precisely why I think this is the case. Suffice it to say that the differential between both headphones in this aspect is not substantial and the Hemp is able to contend despite its lower price point. But it's possible that the RS2e may scale up a somewhat better with its driver

Somewhat to my surprise, I think the Hemp slightly edges out the RS2e on timbre. Although the Hemp can occasionally sound a bit "hefty" in the lower octave, its leaner tonality makes it is easier to distinguish between different types of sound throughout the rest of the musical spectrum. RS2e, for its part, aims for a coloration in its tuning which emphasizes tonal cohesion ahead of detail. That it succeeds in doing so could hardly be described a negative in itself, but I do find that I prefer the Hemp's timbral qualities with a broader array of music

I'm at a bit of an impasse as to which headphone I might recommend between the Hemp and RS2e with TTVJ Deluxe pads. I had frankly expected that the RS2e would run away with the contest on technicalities, differences in tuning notwithstanding. But Hemp managed to stalemate its senior counterpart at nearly every turn. Dynamic resolve is the only area where I'd give the edge to the RS2e and then only by a small margin. Every other performance aspect is reducible to preference and I tended to favor the Hemp as often as not. Although the Hemp is arguably a superior value given the disparity in price, it is entirely reasonable that one might value the strengths of the RS2e enough to justify the additional expense

To conclude, a prospective buyer would be well served by either of these Grado headphones. For my part, I feel that the Hemp benefits from being deliberately tuned for use with flat pads whereas the RS2e falls into the "happy accident" category. However both offer a rewarding, enjoyable listening experience that will cater well to different tastes despite their broadly similar performance. You cannot go wrong either way

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #46,908 of 65,633

In the lows, the Hemp extends a bit further and supplies a meaty, impactful bass punch. RS2e has a more tuneful, mid-bass oriented presentation that blends subtly into the midrange. It has decent extension but softens notably on deeper bass notes whereas the Hemp sounds more firm. Which presentation might be preferable is more a question of music selection than technicalities; neither is plainly superior

The RS2e has a nuanced midrange presentation that benefits from the aforementioned mid-bass suffusion. To deploy an adjective popular among audiophiles, one might fairly describe it as "lush". Hemp, in comparison, sounds notably drier, more linear. The 2.2kHz bump in the upper midrange that is practically a Grado trademark is leveled off into a mild rise that imparts presence without being overbearing. RS2e retains a sharper rise but is not worse for it; it needs more "bite" in the upper mids to cut through the warmth in the lower registers. If you prize intimacy in your mids, then the RS2e ought to prove satisfying. Hemp trades some of that intimacy for spaciousness and is scarcely worse off for it

Treble is relatively subdued between the RS2e and Hemp, verging on a "dark" tuning. RS2e has a boost to its low treble around 4kHz that adds definition and "shimmer" but may impart a touch of sibilance. Hemp is more subdued, such that this shortcoming doesn't call attention to itself. It has enough energy in its highs to avoid sounding "off" but I would not want the region withdrawn any further. Of course, if one has an aversion to any rise in the upper registers then the Hemp's treble may be more agreeable

Soundstage is comparable between both headphones but is slightly more expansive on the Hemp as a consequence of its tuning. That is, the emphasis on deeper bass and a less forward midrange yields a relatively more open, spacious presentation. However, I would not say that less intimate staging is "better" and the staging characteristics are on balance more similar than not

It's difficult to say where and how the RS2e and Hemp differ in terms of dynamics. My sense is that the RS2e is better able to resolve microdynamic shifts but it's a challenge for me to explain precisely why I think this is the case. Suffice it to say that the differential between both headphones in this aspect is not substantial and the Hemp is able to contend despite its lower price point. But it's possible that the RS2e may scale up a somewhat better with its driver

Somewhat to my surprise, I think the Hemp slightly edges out the RS2e on timbre. Although the Hemp can occasionally sound a bit "hefty" in the lower octave, its leaner tonality makes it is easier to distinguish between different types of sound throughout the rest of the musical spectrum. RS2e, for its part, aims for a coloration in its tuning which emphasizes tonal cohesion ahead of detail. That it succeeds in doing so could hardly be described a negative in itself, but I do find that I prefer the Hemp's timbral qualities with a broader array of music

I'm at a bit of an impasse as to which headphone I might recommend between the Hemp and RS2e with TTVJ Deluxe pads. I had frankly expected that the RS2e would run away with the contest on technicalities, differences in tuning notwithstanding. But Hemp managed to stalemate its senior counterpart at nearly every turn. Dynamic resolve is the only area where I'd give the edge to the RS2e and then only by a small margin. Every other performance aspect is reducible to preference and I tended to favor the Hemp as often as not. Although the Hemp is arguably a superior value given the disparity in price, it is entirely reasonable that one might value the strengths of the RS2e enough to justify the additional expense

To conclude, a prospective buyer would be well served by either of these Grado headphones. For my part, I feel that the Hemp benefits from being deliberately tuned for use with flat pads whereas the RS2e falls into the "happy accident" category. However both offer a rewarding, enjoyable listening experience that will cater well to different tastes despite their broadly similar performance. You cannot go wrong either way

I do have the HEMPs and the RS2e too (which has a TTVJ flats on them). I do feel that the difference - as you also wrote - is the biggest difference between the two. In that regard the HEMP is unique I think. The RS2e is for me more transparent and the HEMP can (for me) sound sometimes congested. Both are great phones and for me different enough to keep them. (Altough the HP2i edges them out, so they are mostly not used nowadays.)

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #46,909 of 65,633
Something Iā€™ve always wondered about Grado is how the ā€˜buttonā€™ affects sound.

Given how dependent each Gradoā€™s sound is on the shape and material of the chamber, I would have thought that covering half the opening to the chamber with a big ā€˜buttonā€™ would drastically affect the sound.

I would have thought it would result in a dramatic difference between buttonless headphones like the RS2e and buttoned headphones like The Hemp. But given everything Iā€™ve read, that doesnā€™t seem to be the case.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #46,910 of 65,633
Something Iā€™ve always wondered about Grado is how the ā€˜buttonā€™ affects sound.

Given how dependent each Gradoā€™s sound is on the shape and material of the chamber, I would have thought that covering half the opening to the chamber with a big ā€˜buttonā€™ would drastically affect the sound.

I would have thought it would result in a dramatic difference between buttonless headphones like the RS2e and buttoned headphones like The Hemp. But given everything Iā€™ve read, that doesnā€™t seem to be the case.

I have wondered this also. I do not currently have a 'button' model myself but the difference between my fully open custom's and the Bushmills is very very noticeable.

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #46,911 of 65,633

Put a fingertip over the grill of the RS2e as you listen, where the button would be. That'll demonstrate the effect it has.

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #46,912 of 65,633
Put a fingertip over the grill of the RS2e as you listen, where the button would be. That'll demonstrate the effect it has.
To some extend except that the acoustic character of skin and flesh on the fingertip is different from wood/plastic.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #46,913 of 65,633
FYI, the Hemp are on sale in Canada. ($540 CND instead of $599 CND) ... https://baybloorradio.com/grado-the-hemp-headphone-limited-edition
The massive shortage of the Prestige Series line continues. 4OE and BBR are once again sold out of the entire line, making the Hemp the actual cheapest model available.

Interestingly, the PS2000e is also now sold out at 4OE, indicating that their sell-off of visually flawed "B-stock" was because they had no "A-stock" remaining.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #46,914 of 65,633

In the lows, the Hemp extends a bit further and supplies a solid, impactful bass punch. RS2e has a more tuneful, mid-bass oriented presentation that blends subtly into the midrange. It has decent extension but softens notably on deeper bass notes whereas the Hemp sounds more firm with more body overall. Both models deliver ample textural quality and articulation in their bass response. Which presentation might be preferable is more a question of music selection than technicalities; neither is plainly superior

The RS2e has a nuanced midrange presentation that benefits from the aforementioned mid-bass suffusion. To deploy an adjective popular among audiophiles, one might describe it as "lush". Hemp, in comparison, sounds notably drier, more linear. The 2.2kHz bump in the upper midrange that is practically a Grado trademark is leveled off into a mild rise that imparts presence without being overbearing. RS2e retains a sharper rise but is not worse for it; it needs more "bite" in the upper mids to cut through the warmth in the lower registers. If you prize an intimate midrange, then the RS2e ought to prove satisfying. Hemp trades some of that intimacy for spaciousness and is scarcely worse off in the exchange

I concur, the TTVJ Pads (i don't have the Deluxe ones and no one has been really able to explain what the difference between Deluxe and non-Delxe is anyway) on the RS2e are very enjoyable and give me a "trebled down" version of my Grados. Yes, those pads also work well on the SR325e and the PS500e. Basically if you think your Grado is too intensive in the treble region, try the TTVJ pads. You also get more mids and an overall more "compact" sound image. They still sound like Grados but you get to know another side of them. Worth a try in any case.

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #46,918 of 65,633
Iā€™m not sure if this has been discussed but I find The Hemp are awesome for poorly recorded music.

High end headphones often donā€™t sound great with crappy recordings because all the resolving capability in the world wonā€™t do anything if thereā€™s nothing there to resolve. Garbage in, garbage out.

Since you canā€™t add detail, the way to make bad recordings sound better is to give them a lot of energy. And thatā€™s exactly what The Hemp do. That trademark forward Grado sound combined with the extra bass you get with the Hemp make even crappy recordings sound alive.

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #46,920 of 65,633
Does anybody knows which pads are on the hemps? Standard or deluxe? Thanks.

It may be possible that Grado is using a different stock of pads for the Hemp, which they have labeled ā€œF-Cushionā€. Iā€™m not sure what, if any, difference there is between them and Deluxe Flat pads but the surface texture of the foam feels a bit softer on TTVJā€™s than the Hemp pads. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have any Standard Flat pads on hand to compare.

In fact, those pads no longer appear to be available on TTVJā€™s store...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back