Grado Fan Club!
Mar 16, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #46,171 of 65,571
e. I like the vintage feel and overall quirkyness.
Completely agree here. The Grado aesthetic appeals to me bigly.

My kingdom for a skinny lightweight cable that folds back up into its case without any fuss and can easily be replaced.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #46,173 of 65,571
What about fenestrated G pads
71oCfCoL4-L.jpg

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #46,175 of 65,571
Is it easy to change to Shipibo?
If you're talking about the rod blocks and gimbals, the answer is, it's super easy.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #46,176 of 65,571
If you're talking about the rod blocks and gimbals, the answer is, it's super easy.

Getting the original steel band out of the original rod blocks can be a little tricky, so if you want it easier, buy a spring steel band with your order of rodblocks/gimbals from Shipibo.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #46,177 of 65,571
Getting the original steel band out of the original rod blocks can be a little tricky, so if you want it easier, buy a spring steel band with your order of rodblocks/gimbals from Shipibo.

Right. I have ordered a complete set with steel band and leather. Not that expensive and the change is really fast that way. The complete original gimbal/rod/headband remains in one piece.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #46,178 of 65,571
You could actually just buy that complete set, add some wooden cups, pads and cables, and get yourself a set of Nhoord drivers: a TOTL pair of “Grados” involving no actual Grado parts...

Reminds me of the “Heritage” MGB shell- theoretically, you could use it to build a brand new MGB entirely from spare parts (good luck getting it registered, though).

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #46,179 of 65,571
a. I like the Grado cables. They ooze reliability. Also as they can't be removed i am not obligated to try out a gazillion other cables to find out which sounds the best. And if i really wanted to change cables i could by tinkering.

b. I like the Grado concept of foam ear pads. It's quirky and special. It lets me try out different pads (but that's mostly not necessary) or just replace a used one easily. They feel good to my ears (not the S or the F though). Also ear pads of other headphones have to be replaced too. My OPPO PM-3s pads fell apart within 18 months.

c. What i am really not a fan of is the flimsy plastic rodblocks and gimbals. They are ok up to the SR225 but after that they should be delievered with better wood or metal rodblocks and gimbals. But all that can be remedied with Shipibo and Turbulent Labs.

d. I like that i can tinker around with my Grados.

e. I like the vintage feel and overall quirkyness. Grado is a little like Leica cameras. They are expensive and quirky and a lot of people can't understand why you not just buy a Sony cam for a tenth of the price.

I've had to replace the following:

TH-X00 -- Pleather pads started to fall apart. The headband is doing fine, thankfully. Replaced with leather pads.

Denon D2000 -- Pleather pads started to fall apart. The headband is doing fine, thankfully. Replaced with leather pads.

Sennheiser HD800 -- Pads and headband material fell apart. Replaced with leather pads and original headband padding.

Sennheiser PX100 -- The foam pads (disintegrated) and pleather headband cushions have been replaced multiple times.

AKG K553 -- Pleather cushions fell apart. Replaced with leather pads.

Beyerdynamic T5p and DT1350 -- Cable sheathing disintegrated on both headphones. The T5p's leather pads are doing fine, but the DT1350 pads and headband padding had to be replaced. The cables of both headphones had to be replaced.

Vsonic GR07-- Cable sheathing disintegrated.

And yes, the pads of my old MS2i disintegrated after about 6 or 7 years. The leather headband and cables on all my Grados are doing fine.

Schiit falls apart...not only Grado schiit. Pretty much every single headphone I own has had some kind of issue.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #46,180 of 65,571
You could actually just buy that complete set, add some wooden cups, pads and cables, and get yourself a set of Nhoord drivers: a TOTL pair of “Grados” involving no actual Grado parts...

Reminds me of the “Heritage” MGB shell- theoretically, you could use it to build a brand new MGB entirely from spare parts (good luck getting it registered, though).
Right...but that would be no Grado at all, as you wrote too.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #46,181 of 65,571
If Grado Labs is not happy with sales, they'll make a change. If sales are good, they will continue on the same tack.
I think Grado is happy with their current revenue. That being said, in Canada, a number of vendors have dropped Grado entirely in favor of other brands that sell more.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #46,183 of 65,571
I'll add that the flat or "F" pads as they're now called, were the pads that originally came on the HP1 series of Joseph Grado's. Some of the early RS series may have come with them as well but I don't remember for sure. Grado stopped using/making them but there was some demand for them that Todd from TTVJ recognized. Todd worked with Grado to get permission to make and sell them and that's the only place they've been available since. I'd suspect that is where Grado is getting the "F" pads they're using on the Hemps and the reason they're not available on their own store.
I was wondering this myself, does TTVJ have them made? I have a pair on my SR325e’s and I love them, tamed the treble perfectly. Need to get a set for my SR80e’s now...

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #46,184 of 65,571
This is what I did so I still have the original headband with the rod block and gimbals still attached.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #46,185 of 65,571
Anyway let's get back to headphones and music and iems and wireless and audio players and amps and anything to do with this great life long hobbie. Now where did I put them Geekria pads lol .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back