Grado Fan Club!
Mar 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #46,051 of 65,555
I'm also in Canada and trust me the Hemp are worth $600 CAD. The RS2e are often available on the used market for $500 CAD.

I bought my pair from Baybloorradio in Toronto. https://baybloorradio.com/grado-the-hemp-headphone-limited-edition

It’s funny you mention that, as I booked a listening session with BBR. I put a deposit for them to hold onto a Hemp (apparently it’s their last unopened box in stock) and I’m going in for a listening session next week.

The gentleman on the phone was really trying to sell me on a Meze 99 Classics. He was passionately promoting it hard. I thought that was funny because the 99 Classics is another headphone I’m really interested in, so I appreciated his passion. Alas, I can’t afford both at the moment, so I’ll have to pick one.

My current wishlist is:

Grado Hemp
Grado RS2e
Meze 99 Classics
Focal Clear
Abyss Diana V2

The Clear and especially the Diana V2 are both way above my budget at the moment, so they’ll have to wait a while. But I’m eyeing those first three, with the intention to buy one of them now and one maybe in a few months. But I’m not sure which should take priority.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #46,052 of 65,555
It’s funny you mention that, as I booked a listening session with BBR. I put a deposit for them to hold onto a Hemp (apparently it’s their last unopened box in stock) and I’m going in for a listening session next week.

The gentleman on the phone was really trying to sell me on a Meze 99 Classics. He was passionately promoting it hard. I thought that was funny because the 99 Classics is another headphone I’m really interested in, so I appreciated his passion. Alas, I can’t afford both at the moment, so I’ll have to pick one.

My current wishlist is:

Grado Hemp
Grado RS2e
Meze 99 Classics
Focal Clear
Abyss Diana V2

The Clear and especially the Diana V2 are both way above my budget at the moment, so they’ll have to wait a while. But I’m eyeing those first three, with the intention to buy one of them now and one maybe in a few months. But I’m not sure which should take priority.
If it helps, I doubt that they are down to their last unopened box of Meze 99s.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #46,053 of 65,555
Thx, that is sort of what I had in mind. They want a 5% non refundable deposit to loan you something for two weeks. Which is probably about the hit you would take if you bought something and decided to sell it off right away. I was hoping for an $X-a-month for six months kind of thing.

I agree about loaning my own stuff. No way. But a dealer with enough stock, who can build some expected losses into their pricing formula could do it.
I suspect that's why they charge what they do. Average out that one out of every 20 will break the headphone or otherwise ruin it.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #46,054 of 65,555
Grado sound is like ear candy when it comes to string instruments to me. They are so much fun. I have a pair right now and I think that is part of why I am hesitant. If I was Grado-less then I think the Hemp would've already been mine. Fyi my highest fidelity headphone is a Denon D5200 but those do not replace the airy and fun sound that I get from my MS2i. Maybe my brain just can't fathom the difference being THAT big between the Hemp and MS2i

I owned an MS2i for ten years. I loved it.

I would not say that there is a night and day difference between the Hemp and the MS2i, but the Hemp is a much better headphone.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #46,055 of 65,555

My current wishlist is:

Grado Hemp
Grado RS2e
Meze 99 Classics
Focal Clear
Abyss Diana V2

On that list the Clear is the one I honestly would be the least enthused about. Not because it's not great (it's probably the most technically proficient of all of them), I just found them to be one of those products I sort of nod and tap my chin and say "yes these are very good" about and then swap to something else when I want to listen to music. I put hours and hours into those because Tyll raved about them and I just didn't quite find myself quite so smitten.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #46,056 of 65,555

They should have the whole entry-level and mid-range Grado lineup to demo up to the RS1e. Unfortunately, when I last visited them to pick up my Hemp, they told me that they sold off their high-end demo models.

I actually live in the area, so if it weren't for COVID-19, you could try out my rig! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #46,057 of 65,555
They should have the whole entry-level and mid-range Grado lineup to demo up to the RS1e. Unfortunately, when I last visited them to pick up my Hemp, they told me that they sold off their high-end demo models.

I actually live in the area, so if it weren't for COVID-19, you could try out my rig! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hah, I appreciate that hypothetical. 😉

I believe the famous BBR wall is gone due to Covid and remodeling. It’s still possible to have them hook up certain headphones to try, but I believe the ability to try dozens of headphones on the wall is no more.

I’m curious, did the Hemp you picked up from BBR have black stitching or white?
They couldn’t confirm for me as they can’t open the box, but the open models they have are black stitching, so they assume the box is as well.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #46,058 of 65,555
I suspect that's why they charge what they do. Average out that one out of every 20 will break the headphone or otherwise ruin it.
Yup, plus once they loan it out they cant sell it as new anymore. You're covering the price gap between an Open Box Return and brand new.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #46,059 of 65,555
Hah, I appreciate that hypothetical. 😉
I’m curious, did the Hemp you picked up from BBR have black stitching or white?
They couldn’t confirm for me as they can’t open the box, but the open models they have are black stitching, so they assume the box is as well.

Black.

And yeah the idea to demo would be to rent out a room at a library to do it, because I'd rather not do it at my home. But COVID-19 prevents that.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #46,060 of 65,555
Why is there so much hate for Grado products? I went on a discord a couple months ago and saw a ton of hate for just even the mention of Grado. I just went into another audiophile discord and the same thing happened. I don't quite get it

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #46,061 of 65,555
Why is there so much hate for Grado products? I went on a discord a couple months ago and saw a ton of hate for just even the mention of Grado. I just went into another audiophile discord and the same thing happened. I don't quite get it
Discord? It's for game chat, and I doubt Grado are high up on gamers wish lists?

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #46,062 of 65,555
Don’t worry - be happy👍😄😜 we are a bunch of Grado loving fans - hating nobody 🤓

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #46,063 of 65,555
Friday evening after a difficult week, relaxing into some Hemp.
These things are smokin'

Sorry, I'll get my coat... 🙃

Attachments

• 20210312_212328.jpg
    20210312_212328.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #46,064 of 65,555
These things are smokin'

Did you install the brown band, or is there yet again another headband variation in the hemp line?

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #46,065 of 65,555
These things are smokin'

Looks really comforting & comfortable. Wish you a pleasant and relaxing weekend.....don’t smoke the hemps....🥃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back