Grado Fan Club!
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #46,036 of 65,642
I don't agree that the Hemp would need to pass anything over to anyone for the more acoustic music. I've been on a big gothic American/murderfolk kick and when the music doesn't have a big bassline it's not like these add any bloat. Stuff like Antic Clay, Amigo the Devil, Colter Wall, it all sounds amazing.
I agree, but I just needed to express an excuse for owning more than the Hemps.....

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #46,037 of 65,642
Interesting. As strange as it sounds, this nudges me towards the GS1000e, because I think I'd prefer the set with a touch more of a warm tilt to them. I don't exclusively listen to acoustic music, so something that's specifically tuned towards that would be rather limiting.

Which, of course, has me wondering about the GS3000e...
I have the GS1000e and I was disappointed in the bass. I can only compare it to the Hemp and RS2e. The GS1000e may go deeper...maybe, but the bass is just lacking something. No resonance in the bass, just a thud. Example, the tone of a bass drum is the same no matter what I am listening too. I'm not the only one in this thread that has mentioned their disappoint with the bass. But on the other hand, if I'm listening to classical or acoustic jazz, these are the headphones I grab. And the bass is good.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #46,038 of 65,642
Just a footnote: while I do know that the GS2ke are not loved in this forum, I still like them. They are not my go-to phones, but once in while they for a silent jazz session or some other acoustic stuff, they are very nice sounding.

I think they work well for older acoustic recordings, as the boosted treble can provide the extra clarity that those recordings need. But for other genres, the brightness is an acquired taste.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #46,039 of 65,642
I think they work well for older acoustic recordings, as the boosted treble can provide the extra clarity that those recordings need. But for other genres, the brightness is an acquired taste.
I agree completely...

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #46,041 of 65,642
If the description of them (classic grado with less treble emphasis and a burlier low end) sounds like your thing, there ain't gonna be much else out there that'll scratch the itch, especially under $500. The thing that tipped the scales for me was that it's a limited edition, so it was a kind of "well if I don't snag a pair and at least decide if I like them, I won't be able to very easily."
Grado sound is like ear candy when it comes to string instruments to me. They are so much fun. I have a pair right now and I think that is part of why I am hesitant. If I was Grado-less then I think the Hemp would've already been mine. Fyi my highest fidelity headphone is a Denon D5200 but those do not replace the airy and fun sound that I get from my MS2i. Maybe my brain just can't fathom the difference being THAT big between the Hemp and MS2i

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #46,042 of 65,642

This take makes me even more interested in trying them. I have a lot of old timey jazz, and I find I tend to like that which others call "too bright".

There needs to be something like a leasing program for hi end audio. I don't want the hassle of dropping $1500 or more, then trying to resell something if I'm not loving it. But if I could just lease it for awhile for say $50 a month for six months, and then either return it, or decide to buy it . . . Hmmmmmm . . .

Hmmmm

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #46,043 of 65,642
The Hemp is just as good as the RS2e?

The general impression I’ve gotten from what I’ve read is the Hemp is better on the low end but the RS2e is more refined and detailed. Is that not the case in your opinion?

I had the Hemp and the RS2e at the same time for two weeks. I could not detect any difference in the bass (same quantity and quality) or the mids. The RS2e seems more refined and detailed because the highs are more extended. Some people (those who are very sensitive to the highs) might hear sibilance instead of refinement and detail. The highs of the RS2e are perfect for me...and I do prefer them to those of the Hemp.

I sent the Hemp back to Amazon because it was convenient (more so than selling my used RS2e). If both had been new and both had been purchased from Amazon, I think I would have kept the Hemp.

The Hemp is newer, cooler, cheaper and it is a better looking model.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #46,044 of 65,642
This take makes me even more interested in trying them. I have a lot of old timey jazz, and I find I tend to like that which others call "too bright".

There needs to be something like a leasing program for hi end audio. I don't want the hassle of dropping $1500 or more, then trying to resell something if I'm not loving it. But if I could just lease it for awhile for say $50 a month for six months, and then either return it, or decide to buy it . . . Hmmmmmm . . .

Hmmmm
You could lease mine - at least for a while - but I am in Europe... Joke aside, I share your assessment wrt. old jazz and the GS2ke...

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #46,045 of 65,642
There needs to be something like a leasing program for hi end audio. I don't want the hassle of dropping $1500 or more, then trying to resell something if I'm not loving it.

There is something here. Personally, I wouldn't lend out any of my Grado models because the last time I did that, a hair got into the driver, causing "grattle". It was an enormous challenge to remove it because the non-plastic models can't be easily opened. It wasn't intentional, and I never informed the person of what happened, as I didn't want this person to feel bad about it. But Grado headphones are too fragile for me to risk doing this again.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #46,046 of 65,642
There is something here. Personally, I wouldn't lend out any of my Grado models because the last time I did that, a hair got into the driver, causing "grattle". It was an enormous challenge to remove it because the non-plastic models can't be easily opened. It wasn't intentional, and I never informed the person of what happened, as I didn't want this person to feel bad about it. But Grado headphones are too fragile for me to risk doing this again.
I admit I wouldn't trust doing any kind of lending, not because I don't think people on here are untrustworthy, there are just so many damn variables. The mail might **** up the package, a total accident in their house, anything. Just too many opportunities for the unforeseen.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #46,048 of 65,642
I feel the exact same way. I’ve been so close to ordering both the Hemp and the RS2e, and I keep backing off.

At $600 CAD and $700 CAD respectively, they’re each a hefty price (well above what they should be, given the USD-CAD exchange rate), and so I keep chickening out on these purchases. I’m not sure if it’s worth getting one or both, and if I do bite the bullet, which one to buy first.

I'm also in Canada and trust me the Hemp are worth $600 CAD. The RS2e are often available on the used market for $500 CAD.

I bought my pair from Baybloorradio in Toronto. https://baybloorradio.com/grado-the-hemp-headphone-limited-edition

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #46,049 of 65,642
Thx, that is sort of what I had in mind. They want a 5% non refundable deposit to loan you something for two weeks. Which is probably about the hit you would take if you bought something and decided to sell it off right away. I was hoping for an $X-a-month for six months kind of thing.

I agree about loaning my own stuff. No way. But a dealer with enough stock, who can build some expected losses into their pricing formula could do it.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #46,050 of 65,642
So if someone is on the fence about say, a Hemp or an RS2e, that lending place could theoretically send you both for about a $46 deposit. Even if you decide you hate both of them you're only out that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back