Grado Fan Club!
Feb 26, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #45,646 of 65,584
Point really acknowledged. Don’t really know how this started, but when you (I) have the dna of a collector of beautiful things, then the need is a different animal. I can actually listen to one of my grados while admiring the wood of another:k701smile: Really stupid and not explainable to anybody sane....
While that is a perfectly understandable hobby. I do the same with guitars, although I play them, I often just like them; to look at, and to hold.

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #45,647 of 65,584
The unstoppable force meets the immovable object!
Not listened to many Sennys, let alone the HD800, but from what I've read; that is a great comparison!

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #45,648 of 65,584
How do you like them compared to your HD800S? Probably a little silly to compare headphones so far apart in price, but I'm curious as I've never heard an 800 before.

I love my Hemp, too. It would be awesome to have a 2nd pair. But I think if I was gonna buy another Grado headphone in that price point, I'd probably grab the RS2e. Keep hearing amazing things about that one.
The HD800S is totally different. In virtually all cases I prefer the HD800S sonically to the Hemp; same with the HD820, but there are more times the Hemp can beat out the HD820 than the HD800S. The biggest difference is that the HD800S & HD820 both sound more "open" with wide soundstage, and in general have a more "reference" or "accurate" clean sound. The Hemp sounds more immediate and "dirty," but this works really well for some music. And sometimes, the small size of the Hemp is really just nice to have over some of the larger headphones like the HD800S/HD820; also a reason I probably would prefer the hemp over the RS2E since one of my main reasons for using the Hemp is due to how small it is.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #45,649 of 65,584
The HD800S is totally different. In virtually all cases I prefer the HD800S sonically to the Hemp; same with the HD820, but there are more times the Hemp can beat out the HD820 than the HD800S. The biggest difference is that the HD800S & HD820 both sound more "open" with wide soundstage, and in general have a more "reference" or "accurate" clean sound. The Hemp sounds more immediate and "dirty," but this works really well for some music. And sometimes, the small size of the Hemp is really just nice to have over some of the larger headphones like the HD800S/HD820; also a reason I probably would prefer the hemp over the RS2E since one of my main reasons for using the Hemp is due to how small it is.

Yeah. I had heard that about the soundstage of the HD800S. Figured that'd be the case. But interesting comparison nonetheless.

I'm only looking at the RS2e because I already have a Hemp and I love the look of the RS2e's.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #45,650 of 65,584

While I know that the HD800 is technically better, I prefer my RS2e. The RS2e signature is more "fun" and all my Grado headphones (IMO) are more comfortable to wear.
The HD800 does not sound much more open than my GH2 (or the RS2e) with G cushions.

Having said all of that, if I could only own one open headphone, it would probably be the HD800. It would definitely be a close call between the Sennheiser and the RS2e.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #45,651 of 65,584
FWIW: mine has also white stitching. Think I read somewhere that the headband may differ as well, leather/pleather?
error: it is my HF3’s which have white stitchings, the hemps have black - sorry for mixing up

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #45,652 of 65,584
Grado hp-2i <3

Grado_hp-2.jpg
IMG_6704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6704.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #45,653 of 65,584
Well so much for that idea for a portable hemp, going to be returning the 2nd Hemp I just bought as the 3.5mm connector is too shallow and loose. Falls out of socket of devices when they have even a thin case on. What's the point of a 3.5mm termination if it doesn't work with portable devices with that use a case (almost all of them)? I think they made the length of the plug too short.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #45,654 of 65,584
While I know that the HD800 is technically better, I prefer my RS2e. The RS2e signature is more "fun" and all my Grado headphones (IMO) are more comfortable to wear.
The HD800 does not sound much more open than my GH2 (or the RS2e) with G cushions.

Having said all of that, if I could only own one open headphone, it would probably be the HD800. It would definitely be a close call between the Sennheiser and the RS2e.
What about GS3k vs HD800?

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #45,655 of 65,584
What about GS3k vs HD800?

I never had the pleasure to listen to one. I also wonder how that matchup would turn out. I have the suspicion that perhaps the HD800 would win out since a few members have reported that they preferred their limited editions or RS models to the GS3000e.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #45,656 of 65,584
Well so much for that idea for a portable hemp, going to be returning the 2nd Hemp I just bought as the 3.5mm connector is too shallow and loose. Falls out of socket of devices when they have even a thin case on. What's the point of a 3.5mm termination if it doesn't work with portable devices with that use a case (almost all of them)? I think they made the length of the plug too short.

That's a shame... I have used mine in at least 3 devices in cases and have had no issues at all... perhaps you could find a case with a larger cut out for the jack.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #45,657 of 65,584
That's a shame... I have used mine in at least 3 devices in cases and have had no issues at all... perhaps you could find a case with a larger cut out for the jack.
The plug is the issue, the plastic base of the plug is nearly flush with the base of the plug sleeve. Most 3.5mm cables have a good 2-3mm of clearance after the end of the plug sleeve to accommodate cases

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #45,658 of 65,584
The plug is the issue, the plastic base of the plug is nearly flush with the base of the plug sleeve. Most 3.5mm cables have a good 2-3mm of clearance after the end of the plug sleeve to accommodate cases
You know what...on my new Rs2e which as the small 3.5mm tip. On my fiio M7 clear cases I had to groove out the hole a bit to push the tip in for better contact... But now I'm using a sennheiser 3.5mm to 6.3mm short adapter. And stick the Rs2e gold end on...works ok . No messing about . But suppose if used outside or travelling I would just remove the adapter. ... Only use indoors for me. If outside, on the move , either iems, or full size closed back anker q30.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #45,659 of 65,584
Just had a look at my senn adapter next to the Rs2e 3.5 mm tips ....same length ...but the grado tip as a much fatter surround. This was my issues. These senn adapter £9 work good , no extra stress on the tip ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back