Grado Fan Club!
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #45,616 of 65,584
I have the rs2e for several months now and I still feel that it is the sweet spot in the Grado line. As far as the Hemp I doubt they will discontinue something that sells well anytime soon. Grado models stay around for several years. Back to the rs2e, I find that it scales very nicely with high end equipment. It is what I would term a "value " product as you get great sound for a very reasonable price.

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #45,617 of 65,584
Has there been a comparison between the RS2e and the Hemp?

What do people think is better?
From what I’ve read, the Hemp has more bass. How else do they compare in terms of sound? These seem to be two of the most widely praised Grados in the entire lineup.

Also, how long will the Hemp be available? It’s a limited edition but has there been any word on when availability will end?

It's not about which one is better...it's about which one you will prefer. I chose to keep the RS2e, but if I had kept the Hemp I would have been equally happy.

Both of them have the same bass quantity. The RS2e is a little brighter, making it seem more resolving.

There are rumors that the Hemp is nearing the end of its run.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #45,618 of 65,584
As far as the Hemp I doubt they will discontinue something that sells well anytime soon.

Nah, everyone knows the LE models are only around for a year or less. The Bushmills were only around for a few months. The Black Label 1 and 2 were real limited, so much that it was maybe available for only a month on 4OurEars before they were gone. No one in this thread owns one AFAIK. The GH2 was popular enough that the GS3000e was created, but with cocobolo turning blanks being at least 5X+ the cost of a standard maple turning blank, a mid-range cocobolo model likely won't ever happen again.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #45,619 of 65,584
Yep! That's one of the problems, unfortunately - I didn't have much of our higher-end source gear in the house to listen to the Hemp with.

I decided to plug in the SR80e into our Pro iDSD / Pro iCAN stack (I know, the best kind of overkill) and it sounds heavenly, I can't imagine how good the Hemp is going to sound because Grados scale incredibly well.
FWIW: the hemps are wonderful with just the pro idsd:)

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #45,620 of 65,584
FWIW: the hemps are wonderful with just the pro idsd:)

I bet they are. I can't wait to try them out when I get a set again, with both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iCAN added to that stack!

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #45,621 of 65,584
New member of the collection...the rare and famous HP2i!

Attachments

• 5B436486-F484-4F63-99B3-CFFDADD5F45C.jpeg
    5B436486-F484-4F63-99B3-CFFDADD5F45C.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #45,622 of 65,584
I was looking for more rich Grado interviews after that podcast was shared. I found this cool, and even more informative video on YouTube

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #45,623 of 65,584

Congratulations, they look beautiful. How do they compare with for example the hemps?

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #45,624 of 65,584
Congratulations, they look beautiful. How do they compare with for example the hemps?

Give me please a few days (nights) and I report back :)

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #45,625 of 65,584
Hello,

Last question, comparing with RS1e, is it worth 250euros more? The preference will be soundstage, and little Bass.
Sorry, I've not ever heard the RS1e, but I've read several reviews of it vs the RS2e:
1) RS1e has the larger 44 mm driver, instead of the 40mm of the RS2e, so a slightly different sound
2) RS1e does not have the treble emphasis around 10K that the RS2e has (the upper trebles, cymbals, high synthesizers, etc).
3) RS1e driver sits closer to the ear in the housing, and is specifically tuned for the larger Grado pads (the L and G pads). (I don't like any of the Grado flat pads, FIW).

I know that I couldn't justify the extra price of the RS1e over the 2e -- 2e is perfect for me.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #45,626 of 65,584
I was looking for more rich Grado interviews after that podcast was shared. I found this cool, and even more informative video on YouTube

I'm catching up on the podcast, if they're far from full production capacity, suggest that the special editions are unlikely to survive too much longer.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #45,627 of 65,584
Update on my Grado situation. As many know I settled on the GH3 (and the Hemp.) I've been loving both. But in this post I want to focus more on the GH3 because it doesn't get that much love.

I feel like it's the Ultimate Prestige Series headphone. No less, and no more, in the best way possible. It keeps the S Cushion of the SR 60e/80e/125e with the detail in sound quality of the SR325e (I believe it's the same driver!.) Looking at frequency graphs, the GH3's closest in tuning to the SR60e which makes sense because of the cushion, and how in the press release they mentioned how they took inspiration from the original prestige line up (100,200,300.)

A lot of numbers and model names being thrown around here. But I love them. I wanted a headphone with the traditional Grado House sound to counter the Hemp, and these fit the bill. They have most of the energy that I loved from the Prestige line, but without the listening fatigue. It has much of the refinement that you get higher up the line (RS2e), but with the Prestige drivers and tuning. For me.. it's the ultimate Prestige Series headphone. It pairs with HEMP nicely, and it has effortless comfort because I love the S Cushion. The Norwegian Pine is beautiful to look at too. In the future I'll try other higher end Grados, but in terms of comfort and what I'm looking for right now the two I have are great for me.

edit: I'll keep my RS2e profile picture for posterity lol

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #45,628 of 65,584
Update on my Grado situation. As many know I settled on the GH3 (and the Hemp.) I've been loving both. But in this post I want to focus more on the GH3 because it doesn't get that much love.

I feel like it's the Ultimate Prestige Series headphone. No less, and no more, in the best way possible. It keeps the S Cushion of the SR 60e/80e/125e with the detail in sound quality of the SR325e (I believe it's the same driver!.) Looking at frequency graphs, the GH3's closest in tuning to the SR60e which makes sense because of the cushion, and how in the press release they mentioned how they took inspiration from the original prestige line up (100,200,300.)

A lot of numbers and model names being thrown around here. But I love them. I wanted a headphone with the traditional Grado House sound to counter the Hemp, and these fit the bill. They have most of the energy that I loved from the Prestige line, but without the listening fatigue. It has much of the refinement that you get higher up the line (RS2e), but with the Prestige drivers and tuning. For me.. it's the ultimate Prestige Series headphone. It pairs with HEMP nicely, and it has effortless comfort because I love the S Cushion. The Norwegian Pine is beautiful to look at too. In the future I'll try other higher end Grados, but in terms of comfort and what I'm looking for right now the two I have are great for me.

edit: I'll keep my RS2e profile picture for posterity lol
So, GS3k or PS500 next?

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #45,629 of 65,584
So, GS3k or PS500 next?
probably the gs3000e because the pads go AROUND the ears. The L Cushion of the RS2e (and PS500) is either too small to go around my ear, and too big to sit comfortably. And you know.. cocobolo.

Edit: I wonder how they sound though. It seems the higher end headphones don't follow the tuning of the lower end stuff at all. NO 2K peak?!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #45,630 of 65,584

Beautiful. I don't even want to know how much it set you back. Whatever the price was, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Congratulations!!!

Let us know how it compares to the other Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back