Grado Fan Club!
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #44,896 of 65,581
The rs2e is quite a bit more refined at the expense of that treble energy. I personally think the rs2e is one of the best Grados you can buy at any price point, but if you're looking for that lovely energy the sr series is hard to beat and I would point to the sr225e as the pinnacle of that type of sound without becoming overly bright. They work well with third party g cushions as well taming the treble further while adding body and bass at the expense of some detail. But the rs2e may be the golden goose you're looking for, is there any place you can audition the sr225e and the rs2e?
amazon lol. I’m sure my picture is hanging up somewhere in their offices for the amount of headphones I’ve purchased and taken back. I’m trying to talk myself into sticking with the SR80 for a bit Instead of upgrading every other week. Thanks for your input

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #44,898 of 65,581
I still have my gateway Grados, SR125, and my beloved SR325. I have A-B'ed them with SR80 a few times and from the first notes there is not even a question: both are a serious, immediately audible upgrade. The SR125 opens up the soundstage beautifully. Then the SR325 fills out the bass while keeping the clarity. I leapfrogged past the SR225 because I got a deal on the SR325, but whatever suits your budget best, even the SR125 would improve on the SR80.
i will concider the older brothers. I tend to write off the entire line up because of the similarities

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #44,899 of 65,581
Grado Hemp quick reaction: from the moment I put them on, queued up a track, and hit play... absolutely #!&# fantastic. Bass hits with authority, nothing muddy, nothing weak. Complex tracks, multiple instruments, multiple singers, left/right separation, nothing trips them up. I don't claim to have refined tastes, but my uneducated opinion is the Hemps bring good recordings to life. The best substitute I've heard yet for a good hi-fi 2-channel loudspeaker setup, definitely.

The Hemps are being driven by a Schiit Vali 2+, stock tube. Sources Schiit Modi 3+, Yamaha DVD-S1800.

Test tracks:
- Paul Simon, Graceland, Diamonds on the Soles Of Her Shoes.
- Propeller Heads, Decksanddrumsandrockandroll, Spybreak
- Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense, This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)

I'll break out the jazz and classical, some female vocals, later on, time permitting.

The Hemps get a major thumbs up from my bass-head teenager, with the caveat that Graceland sounds like polka... :laughing: :laughing:

I think I'll be plumbing the depths of this setup for months to come now. Seriously impressed.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #44,901 of 65,581
Spent some time with hemp and 325e with f pads from my LGV30. Latter sound really good, if that was all you had, then I'd not spend the extra the Hemp. My guess is that a pair of 80e would sound equally great off my phone

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #44,902 of 65,581
I'll break out the jazz and classical, some female vocals, later on, time permitting.
I'm usually a metalhead or classic rock guy. I live on bandcamp.com and mostly listen to metal, prog rock, synth, modern classical, and of course some jazz. Jazz was always one of those, put on in the background while I work or read or play with the kids kind of things though. Serious listening was always metal, prog, or classical. Emperor, Steely Dan, or Mahler. That kind of thing.

But damn. Jazz and live anything on the Hemps is so good. DO NOT WAIT, PUT ON JAZZ NOW! lol Seriously, I've heard Kind of Blue a hundred times. But I've listened to it like 3 times the past few weeks. Although, will say not a huge piano fan with these. Needs more treble, but I always prefer piano on the real speakers anyways.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #44,903 of 65,581
I'm not a fan of gear driving my musical taste. I listen to the music I like firstly, most of my hardware is geared towards that objective. I've got guitars everywhere in my house, so I'm mostly driven by an obsession with the tone!

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #44,904 of 65,581
I still have my gateway Grados, SR125, and my beloved SR325. I have A-B'ed them with SR80 a few times and from the first notes there is not even a question: both are a serious, immediately audible upgrade. The SR125 opens up the soundstage beautifully. Then the SR325 fills out the bass while keeping the clarity. I leapfrogged past the SR225 because I got a deal on the SR325, but whatever suits your budget best, even the SR125 would improve on the SR80.

Are you referring to the original SR models or the "i" or "e" versions?...

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #44,905 of 65,581
Well...look at my avatar. And then I tell you the RS2e is an absolut delight with Prince’s music. I listened yesterday to the whole “lovesymbol” album (from 1992). Maybe Gold is brighter, but still. It’s a heavily mixed album with lot’s of layers and it was fantastic.

But I must also note: I use an R2R Dac with a hybrid (tube/FET output stage) and a tube headamp (Tor Audio balanced) cabled with a full shunyata venom loom. They all contribute to the effect, that while the sound is open and engaging, it is never too hot or fatiguing. But in this system I do prefer the RS2e to the Hemp.
Hey up you pair...have you seen the Prince vinyl box set which is on offer on Amazon .uk . For serious collectors only. Down to £180. From about £270.

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #44,906 of 65,581
I'm not a fan of gear driving my musical taste. I listen to the music I like firstly, most of my hardware is geared towards that objective. I've got guitars everywhere in my house, so I'm mostly driven by an obsession with the tone!

Then as a guitar player you should know you're not gonna play jazz with a high gain amp and hot wound pickups.

And if a guitarist tells you he picked up this great little made in the USA solid state amp and it's great for jazz. . You gonna tell him gear shouldn't drive his musical tastes?

Better example would be a metal guitarist picking up three channel amp for the high gain channels, then telling people that the clean channel is great for jazz.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #44,907 of 65,581
Then as a guitar player you should know you're not gonna play jazz with a high gain amp and hot wound pickups.

And if a guitarist tells you he picked up this great little made in the USA solid state amp and it's great for jazz. . You gonna tell him gear shouldn't drive his musical tastes?

Better example would be a metal guitarist picking up three channel amp for the high gain channels, then telling people that the clean channel is great for jazz.
I don't think that's a comparable analogy though. Creating music (guitarist obsession with tone) is very different from listening to a particular genre, just because it sounds "good". Yes, you might buy different guitars and amps for different styles, but I wouldn't start playing jazz because my amp had a good jazz tone, but then I don't buy hifi gear specifically because it's good at one genre, it should be good for everything if it's good enough. As it happens, I have a pretty wide range of musical taste anyway, that does include Jazz; but I don't think my set up is better at any particular style, it's good at presenting all styles that I like to listen to!

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #44,908 of 65,581
After my disappointment in the Hemp (in part due to comfort, and lack of the exciting house sound i got from the SR80.) I pulled the trigger on the RS2e. Should be here Wednesday.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #44,909 of 65,581
I don't think that's a comparable analogy though. Creating music (guitarist obsession with tone) is very different from listening to a particular genre, just because it sounds "good". Yes, you might buy different guitars and amps for different styles, but I wouldn't start playing jazz because my amp had a good jazz tone, but then I don't buy hifi gear specifically because it's good at one genre, it should be good for everything if it's good enough. As it happens, I have a pretty wide range of musical taste anyway, that does include Jazz; but I don't think my set up is better at any particular style, it's good at presenting all styles that I like to listen to!

And if you look back at my post and who i quoted and actually read what we wrote, we both said we listen to jazz along with other genres. I was pointing out the Hemps sound great for live recordings.

You are the one insinuating our gear dictated what we listen too. So my analogy is correct. No idea why you have to make some derogatory comnents for no reason.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #44,910 of 65,581
After my disappointment in the Hemp (in part due to comfort, and lack of the exciting house sound i got from the SR80.) I pulled the trigger on the RS2e. Should be here Wednesday.
You won't be disappointed. Had mine a few weeks now . Apart from the feel of the L pads they are great . And I have only used them with my Fiio M7. Mp3 / audio player. Playing all types of jazz , jazz funk, jazz fusion. Etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back