Grado Fan Club!
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #44,881 of 65,694
I dunno if it’s just because the comfort is getting in the way, but i returned back to my (week old sr80) and while i know and can hear the hemp is a more refined headphone, the sr80e is lighting me up sound wise, in ways the hemp didn’t on first listen (extra treble energy?). It’s probably a comfort thing. I’m reading about the RS2e, is that the narural upgrade path from the sr80 sound wise, and are those pads as soft as the prestage standard?

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #44,882 of 65,694
So I just got the Hemp. Stock pads are not as comfy as my prestige series. I’m hoping that i can adjust to it, but what’s the conscience on the best replacement pads nowadays? Would my SR80 pad mess with the sound bad? I hope i can just adjust to these, but wondering if there are some options

The best pads for the Hemps are the stock ones. Most others mess with the sound in a less than desirable way. +1 on stretching out the headband. I did it with mine when I first got them. They're super comfortable - even while wearing my glasses. Don't have to stretch it flat. Just like halfway between what they are and flat worked well enough for me and kept them in their normal shape.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #44,883 of 65,694
I dunno if it’s just because the comfort is getting in the way, but i returned back to my (week old sr80) and while i know and can hear the hemp is a more refined headphone, the sr80e is lighting me up sound wise

It's OK to not buy into the Hemp hype if the sparkle and energy of the SR80 is what draws you in. I hated the stock Hemp sound, too. You could try pad rolling, but I have a feeling you may still feel the treble is lacking. Return it and get the SR225e, SR325e, RS2e, or GH4. You'll be happier with one of those.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #44,884 of 65,694
It's OK to not buy into the Hemp hype if the sparkle and energy of the SR80 is what draws you in. I hated the stock Hemp sound, too. You could try pad rolling, but I have a feeling you may still feel the treble is lacking. Return it and get the SR325e, RS2e, or GH4. You'll be happier with one of those.

A few questions, since you seem extremely knowledgeable.

1. How are the pads on each of these models (verses the hemp, and the SR80. because i find the sr80 to be one of the most comfortable headphones i ever tried.)
2. How much of a jump is the sr80 And the 325?
3. I know some people said the RS2e was similar to the hemp. I don’t mind more bass, i just though that it was lacking some of the energy. Does the RS2e lean closer to the hemp or the SR line?

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #44,885 of 65,694
The original SR80 came with the L pads. Do you actually have the SR80i? The SR80i's button reads "SR80" but the cup looks like a mushroom instead of completely flat, and comes with the S pads. All of the higher end models I mentioned use L pads, but you can always pad swap.

I think the SR325e might work out for you if you need the extra treble sizzle. Note that it weighs significantly more than the SR80 because of the aluminum. It weighs about 50% more than the Hemp. You may not like the added weight. In that case, stop at the SR225e and enjoy having saved half your cash.

The RS2e is just one of Grado's most neutral headphones, with a slight treble lift. The GH4 is slightly more neutral. There's this RS2e vs GH4 comparison article.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #44,886 of 65,694
The original SR80 came with the L pads. Do you actually have the SR80i? The SR80i's button reads "SR80" but the cup looks like a mushroom instead of completely flat, and comes with the S pads. All of the higher end models I mentioned use L pads, but you can always pad swap.

I think the SR325e might work out for you if you need the extra treble sizzle. Note that it weighs significantly more than the SR80 because of the aluminum. It weighs about 50% more than the Hemp. You may not like the added weight. In that case, stop at the SR225e and enjoy having saved half your cash.

The RS2e is just one of Grado's most neutral headphones, with a slight treble lift. The GH4 is slightly more neutral. There's this RS2e vs GH4 comparison article.

I have the SR80e. I just purchased it lol. I think the treble on this is about as bright as i wanna go, because it’s right on the edge of not sounding great with badly mixed songs. It seems the RS2e might be my next best option. Though i think I’m slacking on the SR80 because i want to upgrade already. More money doesn’t always mean more better. The SR80 might just be MY beloved grado product for the time being, and i need to accept that that’s ok. Joseph said he’s a chef, and makes different dishes for different people.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #44,887 of 65,694
Yeah I'm not knowledgeable about Grados but I agree that the Hemp could definitely use a bit of treble, and they would probably get some more detail. I think EQ is the best option here, as pad rolling messes with the bass too much.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #44,888 of 65,694
Grados.. could definitely use a bit of treble

Not something you’d ever expect to hear about a grado lol. I appreciate that they are diversifying their line up, but i think based on my small sample size i prefer more traditional grado sound

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #44,889 of 65,694
Yeah I'm not knowledgeable about Grados but I agree that the Hemp could definitely use a bit of treble, and they would probably get some more detail. I think EQ is the best option here, as pad rolling messes with the bass too much.
I add a bit of EQ when playing off my local flac collection. Around 1.5dB lift is all I need at 5k+. Hemp responds better to slight EQ than my 325e which are more difficult to balance, I find them too bass light, and occasionally overly bright.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #44,890 of 65,694
I’m weary of messing with the headband,
Don't be. The headband is made of spring steel so it can be adjusted.
Grab the headband on each side just above the plastic rod blocks and slowly open and close it 'til the headband is eventually in a horizontal position and hold it there for 10-15sec, then let the headband return to it's original state and try it out on your head. Repeat this 'til the drivers have comfortable pressure on your ears. When you find the pressure you like, you'll have to repeat this from time to time 'til the spring steel stays where you want it because it will want to return to its original state.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #44,891 of 65,694
Not something you’d ever expect to hear about a grado lol. I appreciate that they are diversifying their line up, but i think based on my small sample size i prefer more traditional grado sound

GW100 enters the chat lol.

But that makes me think, since the GW100 has the S-pads how similar they sound to the Hemp? I'm sure it's not as refined of course, but it's def very punchy with a pretty linear treble roll off. Unfortuneately you can't swap on L, G, or F pads since the cups are bigger. Wonder how they'd do if someone made a wooden cup to fit them in? :D

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #44,892 of 65,694
As i spend more time with the SR80e the more i fall in love with it, and the more frustrated I get. It presents music in such a lively way and often blows my mind, however with certain artists (i noticed with prince a lot this morning) the treble energy that i love so much, can get a little fatiguing. Now I thought the hemp took away just about all of the energy, do they have a model in the line up that “refines” that energy a bit. Is the RS2e that golden goose?

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #44,893 of 65,694
As i spend more time with the SR80e the more i fall in love with it, and the more frustrated I get. It presents music in such a lively way and often blows my mind, however with certain artists (i noticed with prince a lot this morning) the treble energy that i love so much, can get a little fatiguing. Now I thought the hemp took away just about all of the energy, do they have a model in the line up that “refines” that energy a bit. Is the RS2e that golden goose?

Well...look at my avatar. And then I tell you the RS2e is an absolut delight with Prince’s music. I listened yesterday to the whole “lovesymbol” album (from 1992). Maybe Gold is brighter, but still. It’s a heavily mixed album with lot’s of layers and it was fantastic.

But I must also note: I use an R2R Dac with a hybrid (tube/FET output stage) and a tube headamp (Tor Audio balanced) cabled with a full shunyata venom loom. They all contribute to the effect, that while the sound is open and engaging, it is never too hot or fatiguing. But in this system I do prefer the RS2e to the Hemp.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #44,894 of 65,694
The rs2e is quite a bit more refined at the expense of that treble energy. I personally think the rs2e is one of the best Grados you can buy at any price point, but if you're looking for that lovely energy the sr series is hard to beat and I would point to the sr225e as the pinnacle of that type of sound without becoming overly bright. They work well with third party g cushions as well taming the treble further while adding body and bass at the expense of some detail. But the rs2e may be the golden goose you're looking for, is there any place you can audition the sr225e and the rs2e?

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #44,895 of 65,694
The SR80 might just be MY beloved grado product for the time being, and i need to accept that that’s ok. Joseph said he’s a chef, and makes different dishes for different people.

I still have my gateway Grados, SR125, and my beloved SR325. I have A-B'ed them with SR80 a few times and from the first notes there is not even a question: both are a serious, immediately audible upgrade. The SR125 opens up the soundstage beautifully. Then the SR325 fills out the bass while keeping the clarity. I leapfrogged past the SR225 because I got a deal on the SR325, but whatever suits your budget best, even the SR125 would improve on the SR80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back