Grado Fan Club!
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #44,911 of 65,615
You won't be disappointed. Had mine a few weeks now . Apart from the feel of the L pads they are great . And I have only used them with my Fiio M7. Mp3 / audio player. Playing all types of jazz , jazz funk, jazz fusion. Etc
Ok good, I’m excited! I have found some of the treble energy on the sr80 to be fatiging depending on the albums i play, but i felt the hemp was too mellow. Hopefully the RS2 is perfect

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #44,912 of 65,615
Hey up you pair...have you seen the Prince vinyl box set which is on offer on Amazon .uk . For serious collectors only. Down to £180. From about £270.

Yes, I saw it. Back in the day I bought all kind of exoctic stuff. Like japan maxi CD’s and stuff. But I was always a listener first, not really a collector. I bought rarities if they had some new tracks/mixes.

Nowadays I just stream.

And Roon helps to integrate my...ahem...other collection nicely :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #44,913 of 65,615
The hemps are indeed great. I almost forgot my GH2s with the BA pads. Right the GH2s are doing better for my ears with the Article Monkeys live at the Royal Albert Hall...but admittedly, that may change tomorrow :dt880smile:

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #44,914 of 65,615
And if you look back at my post and who i quoted and actually read what we wrote, we both said we listen to jazz along with other genres. I was pointing out the Hemps sound great for live recordings.

You are the one insinuating our gear dictated what we listen too. So my analogy is correct. No idea why you have to make some derogatory comnents for no reason.
I didnt intend to deride anyone, apologies if that's how it appeared. I wasn't aiming my comment at any of your particular posts by the way. Everyone is entitled to find appreciation in whatever form they wish, I was merely sharing my view that great sq doesn't inspire me to go listen to music I would not normally do.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #44,915 of 65,615
Hello guys, I'm sorry to interrupt and coming out of nowhere. I just became the proud owner of a pair of gold 325. I purchased them for a bargain price (at least for europe) because they were pretty beaten up. I was able to fix most of them. They're still not super nice cosmetically but, I'm studying a way to bring back those shiny gold writings!

I wanted to ask the experts here. The old owner left them for very long time unused. The pads disentegrated in million tiny pieces and now the plastic cover of the speaker is all dotted (outside and inside) with these tiny particles. I removed the net in front of the speaker and clean with some photography lenses brushes and manual air blower. Looks like most of it is gone but, it is far from perfect because the plastic case in front of the driver does well it's job to prevent me to reach the driver.

Do you think that is something i should care about or not really? I noticed some substancial sibilance starting from medium volumes in my headphones but, it's also true that I'm playing only from a laptop jack port. Do you think this might be related to the debris on the drivers?

Thanks a lot!

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #44,917 of 65,615
While I feel that out of the headphones I have owned Grado has had the best neutral sound especially mids their construction is terrible. I lightly tossed the 325e onto my bed and the plastic broke. Why would they not use all metal such terrible construction you would expect better being made in America.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #44,918 of 65,615
While I feel that out of the headphones I have owned Grado has had the best neutral sound especially mids their construction is terrible. I lightly tossed the 325e onto my bed and the plastic broke. Why would they not use all metal such terrible construction you would expect better being made in America.

i feel like most Grados can use a more solid metal construction replacing all the plastics with metal, meaning the gimbals and rod blocks. As for the lower end sr60 sr 80 sr125 i thing these are fine as is to keep the cost down. But from the SR225 and up to the PS500E these should all come with metal parts for the prices they are asking. Also i think its also time for them to start constructing them with replicable 3.5 or 2.5 cables. it would really be more welcoming to new customers.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #44,919 of 65,615
Am I getting tired of grados treble? I just joined the family last Monday with the sr80e and hour Long listening sessions the brightness/treble wasn't fatiguing. i purchased the hemp and it was too dark sounding. I spent the past two days listening for many hours with the sr80 at moderate volumes and my head feels drained. I have the RS2e coming on Wednesday I hope that It has a little less brightness because that would be the perfect headphone for me. I just hope im Able to continue listening to grado because I’m blown away each time I listen! But I don’t wanna feel out of it at the expense of sound quality lol

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #44,920 of 65,615
Am I getting tired of grados treble? I just joined the family last Monday with the sr80e and hour Long listening sessions the brightness/treble wasn't fatiguing. i purchased the hemp and it was too dark sounding. I spent the past two days listening for many hours with the sr80 at moderate volumes and my head feels drained. I have the RS2e coming on Wednesday I hope that It has a little less brightness because that would be the perfect headphone for me. I just hope im Able to continue listening to grado because I’m blown away each time I listen! But I don’t wanna feel out of it at the expense of sound quality lol

the PS 500E has the best treble bass in my opinion. You can also put the TTVJ Deluxe Flat pads on your SR80E and it will sound fantastic ( I know im always praising these pads but its true)

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #44,921 of 65,615
i feel like most Grados can use a more solid metal construction replacing all the plastics with metal, meaning the gimbals and rod blocks. As for the lower end sr60 sr 80 sr125 i thing these are fine as is to keep the cost down. But from the SR225 and up to the PS500E these should all come with metal parts for the prices they are asking. Also i think its also time for them to start constructing them with replicable 3.5 or 2.5 cables. it would really be more welcoming to new customers.
I was somewhat disturbed to see my 325e broken that easily. Three hundred dollars down the drain. I gave them to a friend for free after that. I now have the Shure Aonic 50. While not having nearly the transparency of mids the Grado did, they are wireless and noise cancelling. I would like to compare the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 ohm to the Grado. I no longer have the DT. I have a feeling that the DT would slightly edge out the Grado for the virtue of it being plugged into a high end sound card. That is neither here nor there. So a trade off of sorts.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #44,922 of 65,615
I was somewhat disturbed to see my 325e broken that easily. Three hundred dollars down the drain. I gave them to a friend for free after that. I now have the Shure Aonic 50. While not having nearly the transparency of mids the Grado did, they are wireless and noise cancelling. So a trade off of sorts.

you should have kept the 325s the headband/gimbal parts are easily replaceable from grado

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #44,924 of 65,615
I was somewhat disturbed to see my 325e broken that easily. Three hundred dollars down the drain.
You can get a new headband, and if something else breaks you can have them repaired by Grado for a reasonable fee. The cups on my GS2000e got destroyed, along with the gimbals and headband, they fixed them completely for $250 if I recall properly.

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #44,925 of 65,615
You can get a new headband, and if something else breaks you can have them repaired by Grado for a reasonable fee. The cups on my GS2000e got destroyed, along with the gimbals and headband, they fixed them completely for $250 if I recall properly.
Right. Anyone getting into Grados should be aware that's its all about the drivers and to a lesser degree the cups. Anything else is just collateral and therefore to be considered expendable/replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back