Grado Fan Club!
Dec 12, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #44,311 of 65,693
I have been using my Hemps lately and they are amazing, the sound is really impressive and they are not crazy expensive. My chain is Ropieee -> Qutest -> Fluxlab FA-12 (Balanced) -> Hemps. The sound is close to the PS2000e but the weight is way less, so comfort is good in that regard, but they press my ears so after sometime they hurt. Anyway, I’m really happy with them.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #44,312 of 65,693
I have been using my Hemps lately and they are amazing, the sound is really impressive and they are not crazy expensive. My chain is Ropieee -> Qutest -> Fluxlab FA-12 (Balanced) -> Hemps. The sound is close to the PS2000e but the weight is way less, so comfort is good in that regard, but they press my ears so after sometime they hurt. Anyway, I’m really happy with them.

Stretch the headband and reduce the clamping force.

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #44,313 of 65,693
It is more unlikely that Grado made a mistake and put the wrong headband on your headphone. My theory is that someone bought your pair to compare it to some SR model they owned - he didn't think the Hemp was an upgrade and decided to return it, but he changed the headband before sending it back.

The leather headband costs around $50 (plus shipping), so don't accept anything less than $65. I would ask for a replacement.

Good luck!!!
Then they've got a very convincing label printer. The box was sealed when I received it, so I think that's unlikely.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #44,314 of 65,693
I read that too, but it's contrary to all of the official images and also other owners.
You still bought them though!?!

Most of the UK HiFi dealers websites I've looked at more clearly state that the UK version is 'vegan friendly'

If you like them you'll have to live with the cheap plastic headband I think or import a replacement. Even the Sr325 has a leather one.

It's a ridiculous cheapskate penny pinching decision dressed up as a wonderful righteous statement of ethical animal welfare bo**ox IMHO

Me? Sorry I'm a carnivore, hide is a bi-product of the meat industry, used by man for thousands of years, and I own a pair of beautiful leather headbanded RS2e but each to their own 😉

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #44,316 of 65,693
Hola fellow Head-fiers,

Picked up a pair of Grado SR80e recently after wanting a pair forever. Immediately jumped on upgrading the pads.Put in Geekria L cushions on them and removed the plastic/nylon film over the cups. Looking forward to next step in modding them with wood cups and better cable. Painted the outside in gold.

f9a49ca99aa9a7def154ee6f1d48312a7c2abc21.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #44,318 of 65,693
I picked up some RS2e's and ordered the beautifulaudio hybrids.
who can install the beautifulaudio cable adapter on them here in the US? I want to try them balanced on the ZX507.
is there another mod for replaceable cables? Unless I just replace the 3.5 SE with 4.4? then they are married to Sony.
I also want to try a pair of GS3000e.
Just replace the 1/8" termination with a 4.4 balanced termination.

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #44,321 of 65,693

Most of the UK HiFi dealers websites I've looked at more clearly state that the UK version is 'vegan friendly'

If you like them you'll have to live with the cheap plastic headband I think or import a replacement. Even the Sr325 has a leather one.

It's a ridiculous cheapskate penny pinching decision dressed up as a wonderful righteous statement of ethical animal welfare bo**ox IMHO

Me? Sorry I'm a carnivore, hide is a bi-product of the meat industry, used by man for thousands of years, and I own a pair of beautiful leather headbanded RS2e but each to their own 😉
I read it after I'd bought them. As I stated previously, I couldn't care less what they're made of, I was just concerned they're not fake copies!

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #44,322 of 65,693

No kidding. It's like a top of the line Range Rover only offered with hubcaps.

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #44,323 of 65,693
I spoked to the retailer, and they immediately proposed to replace them, but they would also contact Grado to find out that was going on, as they were not happy at all. The retailer is also listed on Grado UK website as an official outlet, so I think it will be sorted out by means of a replacement pair. Although it has no effect on comfort, and looks are unimportant also to me, I'm just concerned with resale value.

Anyhow, back to more interesting stuff, more pads research. Today the Greekia "LL" pads turned up, plus some random ebay sellers version of L pads, which looked absolutely identical in every way to the Greekia L pad....
So, I had a range of pads per the attached image, which I decided to try and rank with both the 325e and the Hemp, of course the big assumption here is that the headband material on the Hemps doesn't adversely affect sound quality :relaxed:
To put this into context, I see the tonal balance as a simple plane rotating around a central axis, that axis being the mid range. To the left is bass, to the right treble, I'm looking for significant changes in that balance along with any noticeable changes in detail retrieval, and comfort, there are bound to be more subtle effects from different pads. I think the other huge caveat here is that no two heads + ears are the same shape, so position of driver relative to inner and outer ear will be different for each person, so not much point in going into the fine detail of each pad, but maybe useful as a rough guide.

Thanks to @Gippy for providing a concept / template! I tried to put what I recalled from reading that review out of my mind, but obviously it's had an influence

The scoring I've used is based on a scale of -3 to +3 where -ve number are rolled off, and +ve are lifted. For reference, first off is an AKG 550 Mk3 to put into some context!

Bass = +3
Treble = -3
Proximity n/a for this comparison.

SR325e

PadBassTrebleComments
F+2-2Close to AKG territor, veiled, though smooth with huge punch!
L-1+2a bit shouty, and uncomfortable
Geekria LL+1-1Loses a bit of sparkle, but comfy!
Geekria L-2+3Mostly too bright and lean, opposite of F. Even by Grado standards this is extreme.
Geekria L + tape+1+1Best compromise tonally, could experiment with tape position etc

Hemp

PadBassTrebleComments
F+2-3Not for me, too veiled and no delicacy
L-1+1Better than the F pad,
Geekria LL+10Good bass, but ever so slightly recessed treble loses sparkle. Did I mention comfort?
Geekria L-2+3Ugh, almost as bad as with the 325e
Geekria L + tape+1+2My favourite so far, best balance of soundstage, bass level, and open top end.

Given the cost of Geekria pads, it's worth buying a set of each (I haven't tried their G pad yet) given how big a difference they have on the tonal balance. I couldn't reliably detect much of a difference in detail levels, and unfortunately my wife is not sufficiently interested in helping with a blind A/B experiment!
I would add that the pads have a similar overall effect on both phones, which are at different ends of the Grado spectrum. For me, the Hemp with stock pads is a bit dull sounding, lacking in sparkle, the Geekria with blue tape offer a more pleasant balance, which is best described as a more detailed and sophisticated presentation than the 325e on stock L pads. The treble is as sparkly, but smoother, the bass is stronger, and overall more detailed. I like the Hemps a lot, but are they worth the extra over the 325e, given what I can affect with pad changes; that's a more difficult and less clear cut answer.

Since my new RS2e is still in the burn-in phase, I tried the Geekria L and LL ear pads on my GS1000i and the GH2: The Geekria pads are softer and therefore more comfortable than the firmer Grado pads. The Geekria are also significantly more coarse-pored than the Grados. However, both Geekrias were much less precise in sound on both headphones. Everything sounded washed out somehow. The Grado OEM pads had the more accurate bass, more realistic mids and a clearer and shinier treble. I suspect that the different Grado material has a significant effect on the Grado sound, because the ear pads are also part of the headphones and were included in the sound tuning. I'd rather pay the extra price for the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back