Grado Fan Club!
Dec 11, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #44,296 of 65,870
I picked up some RS2e's and ordered the beautifulaudio hybrids.

who can install the beautifulaudio cable adapter on them here in the US? I want to try them balanced on the ZX507.

is there another mod for replaceable cables?

unless I just replace the 3.5 SE with 4.4? then they are married to Sony.

I also want to try a pair of GS3000e.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #44,297 of 65,870
unless I just replace the 3.5 SE with 4.4? then they are married to Sony.
I paid Moon Audio to do that mod on my Hemps. The 4.4mm is very convenient you can use an adapter to any other termination while keeping it reasonably small. I like it for portable stuff. If you are good with a soldering iron you can replace the plug yourself.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #44,298 of 65,870
Noticed something slightly odd, the hemps I received have a really cheap looking and feeling, faux anything headband cover, which is totally unlike the leather one on my 325e. That in itself is unimportant, but all the Google images of them that I checked have a headband that at least looks like the one on the 325e. It looks like an bodged cut down effort from an SR80. It started me wondering if they're genuine, but they sound fantastic, plus I bought them online from a well established UK dealer, so you'd think highly unlikely...
If you look on the Grado UK site you'll find tucked away in the specs the following statement:

'Grado UK Hemp Headphones are vegan friendly vinyl headbands not the leather headband shown'

We are truly blessed in this country to have such ethical people making decisions on our behalf and not even charging a penny extra for the privilege?!?

Just one reason I chose the classic RS2e instead. Send them back!

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #44,299 of 65,870
If you look on the Grado UK site you'll find tucked away in the specs the following statement:

'Grado UK Hemp Headphones are vegan friendly vinyl headbands not the leather headband shown'

We are truly blessed in this country to have such ethical people making decisions on our behalf and not even charging a penny extra for the privilege?!?

Just one reason I chose the classic RS2e instead. Send them back!
I read that too, but it's contrary to all of the official images and also other owners.

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #44,301 of 65,870
I paid Moon Audio to do that mod on my Hemps. The 4.4mm is very convenient you can use an adapter to any other termination while keeping it reasonably small. I like it for portable stuff. If you are good with a soldering iron you can replace the plug yourself.

possible to go to single-ended from balanced with an adapter? I figured it would have to stay balanced. 4.4 to XLR etc. my desktop amp is SE.

I'd like to find someone other than Moon Audio, I'll leave it at that.

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #44,302 of 65,870
Bismillah

can someone help me please? I am looking for a headphone that is bright and fast but not so dynamic (hard hitting in the bass). From memory the 225i was close but lacked definition and clarity especially in the lows. Can you recommend a headphone. I was considering the 325i, ps500e, or ps1000e. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #44,303 of 65,870
Bismillah

can someone help me please? I am looking for a headphone that is bright and fast but not so dynamic (hard hitting in the bass). From memory the 225i was close but lacked definition and clarity especially in the lows. Can you recommend a headphone. I was considering the 325i, ps500e, or ps1000e. Thanks.
I believe the RS2e would match your requirements. Open midrange, very detailed treble, well-defined lows but not heavy.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #44,304 of 65,870
Bismillah

I can only advise based on my experience that the 325e might fit your requirements, the Hemp might not unless you're happy to use EQ and / or use non standard pads. I'd love to compare the RS2e to the Hemp, as I had to choose between them both. The Hemps sound great with F pads, but I need to add some EQ in the upper mids and treble, which is fine for playing my CD collection, but not good with Tidal, unless I pay for another media player like audirvana or Roon.
If budget is limitless then there are probably other phones than Grado to consider?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #44,305 of 65,870

I'd like to do a cable replacement on my Hemps at some point. But I think the only mod I'm going to do in the short term will be to replace the gimbals with metal ones. They look better than the cheap plastic ones it comes with.

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #44,306 of 65,870
I'd like to do a cable replacement on my Hemps at some point. But I think the only mod I'm going to do in the short term will be to replace the gimbals with metal ones. They look better than the cheap plastic ones it comes with.
What's the benefit of the cable mod, if it's not a stupid question? I think I'd swap the headband if this one I have is indeed the correct version.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #44,307 of 65,870
What's the benefit of the cable mod, if it's not a stupid question? I think I'd swap the headband if this one I have is indeed the correct version.

The stock cable is too thick and constantly gets twisted up. I want a generally thinner cable. A lot of people also mod the cable so they can put a detachable one in its place but I don't care about that as much, honestly. I modded my SR225e and put a new cable on that. It's much thinner, lighter, and doesn't bother me as much as the stock one does if it's not seated just right.

Headband is super easy to replace, too. So I'd definitely do that if you're not getting the same band as other people are in the UK.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #44,309 of 65,870
thanks! I did some further investigation and it looks like it would work for me. Can you or anyone compare the RS2e to the Ps1000e? Thanks.
Not the most helpful answer, but it's likely to be somewhere in the last 1000 posts, if not all of them? The search function works pretty well in that respect in my experience.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #44,310 of 65,870
possible to go to single-ended from balanced with an adapter? I figured it would have to stay balanced. 4.4 to XLR etc. my desktop amp is SE.

EDIT: Misread your post.

YES: Balanced headphone -> SE adapter -> SE jack
NO: SE headphone -> balanced "adapter" -> balanced jack

The latter is dangerous and may damage your amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back