Grado Fan Club!
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #44,326 of 65,877
Has anyone compared the Hemps to the HF3s? I'm wondering if I should own both or are they close enough that they would be duplicates (I have HF3s which I am really enjoying).

They are not duplicates of each other. I prefer the HF3 (but I hate the cable).

If you are looking for another Grado I suggest the GH2.

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #44,327 of 65,877
Pads update....

If you can add EQ, then that's the first port of call. No need to change pads, the F pads with EQ are comfy and frankly the Hemps are sublime. The 325e not far behind, and begs the questions are the hemps worth the extra cash, which of course depends on your view of VFM etc. However, if like me you use a vanilla streaming service, then EQ is not an option. After a long weekend of listening, I've settled on following for a longer term evaluation:

SR325e - F pads + the bowl cover that comes with Geekria "LL" pads
Hemps - OEM L pads plus (black!) tape.

Both are tonally very similar, still a bit lacking in the 1-5KHz region with the hemps, and in sub bass for 325e, but they both sound punchy, as in a gonna punch you in the face presentation. Detail differences still maintained, and comfort marginally improved on both. The challenge now is stop fiddling, though I have two pad configurations, one for Tidal, and one for Musicbee (with EQ), for which I go back to stock pads.

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #44,328 of 65,877
Why can't I quit you?

My head-fi journey started about 8 years ago, and the first headphones I really dug were the SR80, from which I eventually upgraded to the SR325e.

Since then, I've had a pair of Audeze that crapped out, Sennheisers that sounded great but somehow missed the front end of the notes (slow transients? IDK), and am now primarily using Sundara, which is outstanding. In every case, I find the replacement to be superior to the Grado overall (or else I wouldn't have bought it). After a couple of months, I think about selling the SR325e, but as soon as I plug it back in, I remember what I loved so much about it. Yeah, they can get little sibilant at times, but nothing else I've tried comes so close to the feeling of having music playing in the room around you instead of straight into your head.

After switching back to my Sundara, I find that the timbre is a little better (ie. the tone of instruments is closer to real life, which is important to me as an orchestral musician), and while slightly bright, they never get harsh as the SR325e can at times.

However, there is just something missing. They rarely give me goosebumps the way Grado's can. They don't give me the feeling of listening to live music. After a few days, I find that the sparkle just starts to feel like excessive brightness, and that the low end is a little bit lacking, so I switch back to my new acquisition and acknowledge its overall superiority. But I still can't bring myself to part with my SR325e. There is just something so special about it.

So, seriously, where can I go from here? What headphone, Grado or otherwise, can combine the timbre/tone of HD650 or Sundara, with the open quality of the SR325e? HD800? GS1000? Is it even possible?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #44,329 of 65,877
Why can't I quit you?

My head-fi journey started about 8 years ago, and the first headphones I really dug were the SR80, from which I eventually upgraded to the SR325e.

Since then, I've had a pair of Audeze that crapped out, Sennheisers that sounded great but somehow missed the front end of the notes (slow transients? IDK), and am now primarily using Sundara, which is outstanding. In every case, I find the replacement to be superior to the Grado overall (or else I wouldn't have bought it). After a couple of months, I think about selling the SR325e, but as soon as I plug it back in, I remember what I loved so much about it. Yeah, they can get little sibilant at times, but nothing else I've tried comes so close to the feeling of having music playing in the room around you instead of straight into your head.

After switching back to my Sundara, I find that the timbre is a little better (ie. the tone of instruments is closer to real life, which is important to me as an orchestral musician), and while slightly bright, they never get harsh as the SR325e can at times.

However, there is just something missing. They rarely give me goosebumps the way Grado's can. They don't give me the feeling of listening to live music. After a few days, I find that the sparkle just starts to feel like excessive brightness, and that the low end is a little bit lacking, so I switch back to my new acquisition and acknowledge its overall superiority. But I still can't bring myself to part with my SR325e. There is just something so special about it.

So, seriously, where can I go from here? What headphone, Grado or otherwise, can combine the timbre/tone of HD650 or Sundara, with the open quality of the SR325e? HD800? GS1000? Is it even possible?
Sounds like a sensible start is to listen to Hemp and the RS2e. similar price and step up from the 325e, but diverging tonal paths. if the RS2e are as resolving as the hemp (and I suspect that they are better, rather than worse) then they are both a step up from the 325e tonally and also musically. I've read that the hemps are chilled, laid back even; but these things are relative, personally they sound as fast as 352e, and certainly way more exciting than my other non Grado phones. Remember the pads make a big difference to all of them, as does the source.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #44,330 of 65,877

Perhaps a Hemp (less bright than the SR325e), a GH2 or a PS500e. You can also try the RS2e, but that one is brighter than the other 3 I mentioned (not as bright as the SR325e though).

The RS2e is the best Grado I own.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #44,332 of 65,877
once they have 4.4 balanced plug, will not be able to use them on my SE amp? thx
As @elira mentioned, you can buy an adapter to use them single ended after terminating them in a balanced configuration.

Thank you, I do see some 1/4" TRS male to 4.4 balanced female adapters. I would have thought the headphone would need some rewiring to go from SE to balanced. having 3.5 jacks on the headphones would be nice.
No, you can't use a single ended adapter to convert to balanced. You need to rewire (at the termination) for a balanced connection.
But again, you can use an adapter to convert balanced to single ended, just not the other way around.

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #44,333 of 65,877
As @elira mentioned, you can buy an adapter to use them single ended after terminating them in a balanced configuration.

No, you can't use a single ended adapter to convert to balanced. You need to rewire (at the termination) for a balanced connection.
But again, you can use an adapter to convert balanced to single ended, just not the other way around.

Thank you, that is what I had in mind. going to wait for the beatifulaudio hybrids and see how I like them before any other changes.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #44,335 of 65,877
Perhaps a Hemp (less bright than the SR325e), a GH2 or a PS500e. You can also try the RS2e, but that one is brighter than the other 3 I mentioned (not as bright as the SR325e though).

The RS2e is the best Grado I own.

One day I will try a RS2e. Not sure I want to spend on it given I have the Hemp and a PS500e already though.

You should try the Hemp if you like the HD650.

Seconding this. I have the HD6XX as my main daily headphone (which is basically a 650) and the Hemp is easily my favorite Grado. I like it more than the PS500e I've had for a while now, too.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #44,336 of 65,877
Why can't I quit you?
-snip-
After a couple of months, I think about selling the SR325e, but as soon as I plug it back in, I remember what I loved so much about it. Yeah, they can get little sibilant at times, but nothing else I've tried comes so close to the feeling of having music playing in the room around you instead of straight into your head.
-snip-
harsh as the SR325e can at times.
-snip-
I still can't bring myself to part with my SR325e. There is just something so special about it.

I like my Grado SR225e so much that I also bought the Grado SR325e. I only really use them on tubes though because as you said they are a bit sibilant and harsh. Funny enough, I plugged my old SR225 (not e) in and found that old Grado sound actually better than these newer revisions. Yes, it was less sparkly than the newer Grado but much more relaxing to use not having to deal with the harshness. If you get the chance to hear some of the old vintage SR225 on tubes, you might enjoy it more.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #44,337 of 65,877
I like my Grado SR225e so much that I also bought the Grado SR325e. I only really use them on tubes though because as you said they are a bit sibilant and harsh. Funny enough, I plugged my old SR225 (not e) in and found that old Grado sound actually better than these newer revisions. Yes, it was less sparkly than the newer Grado but much more relaxing to use not having to deal with the harshness. If you get the chance to hear some of the old vintage SR225 on tubes, you might enjoy it more.
I'd recommend trying the 325e with the flat hemp F pad (when they become available), it cures the harsh treble on some tracks. They become more like the Hemp, though still brighter overall and not as lucid.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #44,338 of 65,877
I jost got today the Fiio Q5s. Since my RS2e has 4.4 pentacon termination I am able to use it’s balanced output. So far very nice! No noise and enough drive even in low gain setting.

I am struggling however with the optical connection to my xbox one. Could be the super cheap Hama cable, I don’t know.

77EE5FF2-E006-4CDF-B46F-8AEBEC3043F3.jpeg

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #44,340 of 65,877
Reply from Armour Home (service for Grado UK) the phones are legit, but the Hemps they have with them have the leather headband, upon their advice I've forwarded my question to Grado support in the UK. The thick plottens....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back