Grado Fan Club!
Oct 28, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #43,696 of 65,581
The super LE and one-off models always struck me as odd, because if they really sounded better than the production models, then they'd eventually enter the rotation.

For a short time it seemed Grado went a little overboard with their GS2000e derivatives. It's as though they knew they messed up with the GS2000e and wanted to release some tweaked variants to use up the remainder of the drivers. You have the LA&OC, the Uncrate, and the Black Label II. I still haven't seen anyone claiming to own a Black Label II, much less read a review about it.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #43,697 of 65,581
The adjustments on my iFi Pro iCAN

Thanks for mentioning our Pro iCAN. And yes, its analog circuit comprises of three selectable stages and very different at that. Tubes and transistors in one device that allows for switching between them should make a noticeable difference :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #43,698 of 65,581
Got this one on Monday.
IMG_2803.JPG

And I received this one today.
IMG_2801.JPG

The HF3 is good, but I'm surprised at how great the SR225 sounds. I wonder how the SR225e compares to the old model.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #43,701 of 65,581
The super LE and one-off models always struck me as odd, because if they really sounded better than the production models, then they'd eventually enter the rotation.

For a short time it seemed Grado went a little overboard with their GS2000e derivatives. It's as though they knew they messed up with the GS2000e and wanted to release some tweaked variants to use up the remainder of the drivers. You have the LA&OC, the Uncrate, and the Black Label II. I still haven't seen anyone claiming to own a Black Label II, much less read a review about it.
Yea, I think all those super LE models are more about branding exercises than about sounding better. I'd stil buy any of them, of course. 😊

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #43,703 of 65,581
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #43,704 of 65,581
Wow, the HF3 is really good. I think it is better than the SR325.

For $350 it was a bargain.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #43,705 of 65,581
Got this one on Monday.
IMG_2803.JPG

And I received this one today.
IMG_2801.JPG

The HF3 is good, but I'm surprised at how great the SR225 sounds. I wonder how the SR225e compares to the old model.

Love how that HF3 looks.

I have the 225e, but never heard the original 225. Would love to compare some day.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #43,707 of 65,581
Many headphones scale well with improved amplification; your GS1000e will, I'm sure, as they are a statement headphone and demand to be driven accordingly.
I've had my Vali 2 for a few days now. Thank you for the advice! from the bottom of my heart thank you. Wow! Really digging the sound of my cans now. I bought a few extra tubes to roll. I'm liking the Electro Harmonix 6GC7. The stock tube I didn't like at all (some kind of GE tube). The Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin Tube is decent. All the tubes need more hours on them before I make a decision. Only had a chance to use for about 3 to 4 hours each.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #43,708 of 65,581
Did any GH2 users here try Beautiful Audio’s pads? I'm deciding between the hybrid and merino pads. Seem like the hybrid maintains Grado signature but the merino adds more warm tonal balance.

I have. I bought the hybrid pads and Love them. I can now wear the Grado's all day. You will get two kinds of fillers to choose from.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #43,709 of 65,581
Hey--I'm new to the forum and had a question, hope it's not out of line: I've had SR60s for years and not so long ago got some sr325es. I like them a lot, though the treble is maybe just a touch intense for my inexperienced ears (that seems to be going away the more I listen to them, though). Anyway, I'm afraid I've already fallen down the rabbit hole and now I'm interested in taking another step or two up the Grado ladder. My budget is around $600 and I'm considering the PS500es. I'd love to get some recommendations since there are quite a few Grados at $600 and under.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #43,710 of 65,581
Hey--I'm new to the forum and had a question, hope it's not out of line: I've had SR60s for years and not so long ago got some sr325es. I like them a lot, though the treble is maybe just a touch intense for my inexperienced ears (that seems to be going away the more I listen to them, though). Anyway, I'm afraid I've already fallen down the rabbit hole and now I'm interested in taking another step or two up the Grado ladder. My budget is around $600 and I'm considering the PS500es. I'd love to get some recommendations since there are quite a few Grados at $600 and under.

The PS500e is a great headphone. Treble is less harsh than the SR line of headphones for sure. I upgraded to my PS500e from the SR225e and once I did, basically never went back to the SR headphones. They're great headphones.

That said, Grado's new Hemp headphones are $420 and are limited edition (they will eventually sell out and not make more). They're amazing and I think definitely likely to be the most recommended for under $600 in Grado's line. I hear they rival the RS2e in sound quality for even less - though, I've not heard those so I can't compare. They're similar sort of to the PS500e but more sub bass. I definitely recommend either the PS500e or the Hemp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back