Grado Fan Club!
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #43,711 of 65,695
The PS500e is a great headphone. Treble is less harsh than the SR line of headphones for sure. I upgraded to my PS500e from the SR225e and once I did, basically never went back to the SR headphones. They're great headphones.

That said, Grado's new Hemp headphones are $420 and are limited edition (they will eventually sell out and not make more). They're amazing and I think definitely likely to be the most recommended for under $600 in Grado's line. I hear they rival the RS2e in sound quality for even less - though, I've not heard those so I can't compare. They're similar sort of to the PS500e but more sub bass. I definitely recommend either the PS500e or the Hemp.
I agree on the Hemp phones. I have both the Hemp and the RS2e. They are very similar. My opinion is that the Hemp has more bass overall, but it's still well defined like with the RS2e. I think sound quality is still a little better with the RS2e though. But if EvEst is saying the treble is too intense, I would go with the Hemp. For $420, you won't be disappointed.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #43,712 of 65,695
I was wondering about the Hemps. I'm not crazy about the look of them and the weed references, not that I have anything against it (quite the opposite in fact), just think it will kind of date over time. Bit of course sound is the most important factor (also $$).

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #43,713 of 65,695
I was wondering about the Hemps. I'm not crazy about the look of them and the weed references, not that I have anything against it (quite the opposite in fact), just think it will kind of date over time. Bit of course sound is the most important factor (also $$).

They are really good looking phones in person and you can always do what I did and order them without the hemp button affixed. It makes a much nicer presentation of the headphones and loses some of the "special" reference.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #43,714 of 65,695
They are really good looking phones in person and you can always do what I did and order them without the hemp button affixed. It makes a much nicer presentation of the headphones and loses some of the "special" reference.

Absolutely. They're incredibly beautiful in person. Photos and online marketing don't do them justice.

Also, cool that they let you order the Hemps without the hemp logo affixed. Didn't know that was an option or I might have done the same.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #43,717 of 65,695
I have not heard the HD600. I have limited experience with headphones. Just my SR60 set, and 25 year old Sony MDRV6 that I use for field recording (I'm a film-maker often forced to do my own audio recording). And recently the 325e set that I got.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #43,718 of 65,695
The PS500e is a great headphone. Treble is less harsh than the SR line of headphones for sure. I upgraded to my PS500e from the SR225e and once I did, basically never went back to the SR headphones. They're great headphones.

That said, Grado's new Hemp headphones are $420 and are limited edition (they will eventually sell out and not make more). They're amazing and I think definitely likely to be the most recommended for under $600 in Grado's line. I hear they rival the RS2e in sound quality for even less - though, I've not heard those so I can't compare. They're similar sort of to the PS500e but more sub bass. I definitely recommend either the PS500e or the Hemp.

x2 on Hemp, I like it even more than all the time (personal) favourite RS1e.

TheMiddleSky, I think the TT2 is a great DAC/amp. I’m not a fan of it’s form being that the TT2 is meant for a larger home system. Both the Qutest and the TT2 share the same Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA chip, but I’m guessing that they might be coded differently, I’m not sure. I went for the Qutest because it does just one thing and takes up very little space and I can move it around easily and take it to our condo for the weekends. I’ll give the TT2 another look though. Of course my dream piece of gear is the Chord DAVE.

Just because use the same chip doesn't mean they sound the same (even the tap length is different actually). Like a delta sigma DAC, a chip will affect sound, but only small portion. Bigger part goes to the analog output stage.

TT2 is the most powerful Chord products (for headphone use), and at the same time also the most musical and full body sound as well.. Imagine, something like Mojo, but plenty more quality into each part, more definition, soundstage, detail, imaging quality, etc. With smooth and relax character that will not create fatigue to our ears.

Yes qutest is smaller, but you can't plug headphone on it. You need external headphone amp and don't forget the chord power supply, rca cable, and power cable for the amp.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #43,720 of 65,695
Ok, I should add here that a friend has offered me his used, excellent condition PS500e set for just slightly more than a new Hemp set. So, if the prices are roughly equal would you still recommend the Hemps?

Personally, yes. The Hemp are $500 quality headphones to me. Which is why they're a steal at $420.

However, the PS500e is a great pair of headphones and I think you'll love them for around the same price. Maybe your friend can let you demo them before you buy? Then you can make sure you like the sound. If you listen to them, I'd say the difference between the PS500e and the Hemp is the Hemp has more sub bass and is a bit warmer. But they sound pretty similar.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #43,722 of 65,695
Damien Grief, are saying yes you recommend the Hemps over the PS500e at aroud the same price point or visa versa?

I think you'll be happy either way. You won't regret either headphone. But I was answering your question that I would still recommend the Hemps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back