Grado Fan Club!
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #43,726 of 65,698
I think you'll be happy either way. You won't regret either headphone. But I was answering your question that I would still recommend the Hemps.

What Grado you want also depends on what music you listen to and what kind of amp you're using. I recommend getting a brighter and a less brighter headphone so you can switch around. Because there are always very trebly recordings and also ones that are kinda veiled.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #43,727 of 65,698
Well, I have an SR325e set and they seem pretty bright to me, almost too much so. I'm all over the place as far as music listening goes, but as a musician (non professional) I play fingerstyle acoustic guitar, heavily African American/Celtic/Appalachian influenced so I do listen to a whole lot in those genres.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #43,728 of 65,698
If your budget is $600, see if you can get a GH4. It was last year's limited edition model.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #43,730 of 65,698
Got this one on Monday.
IMG_2803.JPG

And I received this one today.
IMG_2801.JPG

The HF3 is good, but I'm surprised at how great the SR225 sounds. I wonder how the SR225e compares to the old model.

Of all cans you have, those made by Grado are your top choice? Or is it a mixed bag?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #43,731 of 65,698
x2 on Hemp, I like it even more than all the time (personal) favourite RS1e.

Just because use the same chip doesn't mean they sound the same (even the tap length is different actually). Like a delta sigma DAC, a chip will affect sound, but only small portion. Bigger part goes to the analog output stage.

TT2 is the most powerful Chord products (for headphone use), and at the same time also the most musical and full body sound as well.. Imagine, something like Mojo, but plenty more quality into each part, more definition, soundstage, detail, imaging quality, etc. With smooth and relax character that will not create fatigue to our ears.

Yes qutest is smaller, but you can't plug headphone on it. You need external headphone amp and don't forget the chord power supply, rca cable, and power cable for the amp.
Thank you for the clarification sir. I think that I’ve got a pretty good sounding system already TheMiddleSky. I’m always looking to see what tweaks and additions that I can make to improve my listening experience. Yes I agree that the TT2 is a more powerful and articulate DAC than the Qutest. But is it $4000 better sounding than the Qutest? I’m not sure.

Attachments

• CE9A1B90-8E83-44D5-BDCF-3075B7E19CAF.jpeg
    CE9A1B90-8E83-44D5-BDCF-3075B7E19CAF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #43,732 of 65,698
Leaning towards the Hemps now. What with where I live (basically in the middle of nowhere) and considering the pandemic and all, no possibility at all of auditioning anything. When I lived in NYC I could go to B&H Photo. They have a station set up where you can audition all the Grados. It's pretty cool except there's a lot of ambient noise in the store. Anyway not an option for me at the moment.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #43,734 of 65,698
Yes--I'd prefer them without the hemp logo. Are they a noticeable upgrade over the 325es?
I like my Hemps incrementally more than my 325e, which basically means I like them both a lot. I just get a little . . . more . . . out of the Hemp. And maybe the 325e are little shouty sometimes.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #43,736 of 65,698
Having heard the Hemp/GH4/RS2e/RS1e/PS500e together, the GH4 has a touch more clarity than the RS2e or Hemp. It has the largest wooden cup of the bunch (even larger than the RS1e) so it gets a little more natural resonance. The Hemp feels like it has more midbass but most of that is from the pads. The RS1e tuning is wonky so that one you really need to audition. If you can stretch your budget get the GH4, otherwise the Hemp is a great pick.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #43,737 of 65,698
Hi clundbe1,

And nice to hear from you again after so long! I believe that you are one of the three known Head-Fi members that participated in the purchase of these Los Angeles and Orange County (LA&OC) Audio Society 25th Anniversary Headphones, with the other two members being both myself, and 'Astral Abyss'.

In my opinion, the LA&OC 'phones are something of a cross between the GS2000e and the GS3000e, even though the GS3ke 'phones hadn't yet appeared when the LA&OC 'phones were released. Relative to the GS2ke, they offer (as you have already noted) an improved bass response, while maintaining a bright and clear treble which, unlike some people's impression of the treble response of the GS2ke, is never harsh, shrill, or fatiguing. This could be due to the lack of use of 'maple wood' inserts surrounding the GS2ke drivers in the LA&OC 'phones, or instead be due to the fact that the GS2ke drivers used in the LA&OC 'phones feature some of the wiring improvements of the PS2000e drivers (this last bit of info comes courtesy of Bob Levi).

Whatever you do, *do not* sell (or trade) these headphones! The production number on these 'phones is so low, that it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever run across another pair again! Back in April of 2018, I asked Bob Levi (the then president and CEO of the LA&OC Audio Society) how many of these 'phones were ultimately produced, and he said only 12! (Or 13, if you include the prototype, which featured a different cosmetic aesthetic.)

So you, along with myself and 'Astral Abyss', are the three known Head-Fi members that are among the 12 disiples of John Grado's LA&OC Audio Society's 25th Anniversary Headphones! Taken together, we three comprise 25% ownership of the total production run!

If you look inside the 'striped oak' cups via the outside grill, you'll be able to make out the number corresponding to which of the 12 headphones manufactured that you received. Mine is number 8. (See attached photo below.)

Perhaps 'Astral Abyss' can chime in here and tell us which of the numbered LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary 'phone he received! 'Astral Abyss' actually left some initial listening impressions here:

It would be nice if 'Astral Abyss' could update us with some of his current thoughts on the sonics of these 'phones.

@Nickelodeon Mine are number 11.

Edit: Also, I ordered mine with the 4 pin XLR connector.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #43,738 of 65,698
Of all cans you have, those made by Grado are your top choice? Or is it a mixed bag?

I like all my headphones, but I do prefer Grado and it is my top choice.

I'm not accumulating a collection though. The SR225 is for a mod I have in mind and the HF3 I bought out of curiosity. I'm probably going to put the HF3 back up on the sales forum shortly.

I can think of three reasons why Grado is my favorite brand: 1) They sound the most lifelike to my ears 2) They sound great even at the lowest volume 3) They weigh next to nothing

Funny you should ask that question because my favorite amp is my iCAN. I can't live without X-Bass -- it is the only reason I still own the HD800. One of these days I'm going to upgrade to the Pro model. I wish you guys made a mid level iCAN without all the bells and whistles and a more affordable price (the original iCAN was freaking bargain).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #43,739 of 65,698
Ok, I should add here that a friend has offered me his used, excellent condition PS500e set for just slightly more than a new Hemp set. So, if the prices are roughly equal would you still recommend the Hemps?

Check prices. Closer to $300 for a used PS500e. And used or open-box Hemps are going for around $300 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back